Alexander McQueen S/S 2006 Paris

Before reading other people's opinion, i'd like to tell my initial reaction to this show. To me, after giving it a 3-time scan, I think it screams AZZEDINE ALAIA. Probably the loudest "AA" ever from McQueen. I think it's a better show than F/W 05 which to me was as pretentious as you could get. I don't have a liking/disliking feeling from this show, it didn't strike me as much as other shows. However, we have the very best of McQueen this season, thye essence of McQueen.

softgrey said:
everyone has a bad season here and there...
it's obvious that designers are just trying to stay afloat...
no one has a crystal ball...
so it's anyone's guess how this will all play out...
That's true, and I certainly hope next season's collection will be better. I'm incredibly dissapointed by this collection, nothing interested me the way his pieces usually do - there seems to be none of his usual drive in this. At best a few of the pieces and details are 'pretty' (most ... well, aren't even that) and though it probably would be a decent collection from a less talented designer, it isn't for someone like McQueen :(

Last edited by a moderator:
dhclam said:
To me, after giving it a 3-time scan, I think it screams AZZEDINE ALAIA. Probably the loudest "AA" ever from McQueen. .

:o hmmm never thought of that..
sharp eye there dhclam, i can actually see the AA connection hmm thanks for sharing B)

j´adore dior said:
so far what i like the most is his t-shirt.

Amen.

agathe said:
i can seriously say i was far more excited about angela lindvall than this collection..

And amen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The black outfit looks wayt better than the pastel:-) With all the ornaments it seems that he wants to do couture in a pap level which will never looks good (bc it looks cheap), imo.

metal-on-metal said:
Well, if it's between McQueen never designing again because Gucci drops him and he goes bankrupt, or McQueen continuing to design and put out collections that are still clever but slightly more commercial, I'll take the latter. Troubled economic times don't exactly nurse creativity. This is called desperation and we're seeing it at Viktor & Rolf, at Balenciaga, at Chalayan. These are all previously experimental designers that are desperate to sell. If they don't, they get the axe. It's a sad situation but what can really be done? If they're smart, then they'll distill their creative essence into easy clothing that still retain a certain edge about them, as I believe McQueen has done here. It's not a bad collection by any stretch of the imagination.
I agree, it's so disappointing though. So many flops this season, this being an excellent example of one.

Sellable or not this collection sucked. It feels so worng in so many ways. That cropped leather jacket with matching pants reminds me of pamela anderson in Barbed Wire. The "goddess" dresses look like costume rejects from the Wonder Woman television show. The clean and nicely cut black garments are very nice...but I'll just stick to Yohji Yamamoto who does it better when I want that. Mcqueen has done sellable before (A/W 04) and still managed to make beautiful clothes.

i dont like this collection, but im not giving up on Mcqueen. i am too smart to do that. McQueen is a rare breed of designer that rarely comes along, he is just suffering a little from the pressures of the powes that be (Gucci) to be commercial and profitable.
he is one of the smartest designers around and i believe that he will figure ot a way to be both commercial and infinitely creative at the same time.
McQueen is like a leopard that cannot change his spots,Gucci has just painted him fot the last couple of seasons, soon the paint with fade and wash off.
I believe in him, and i know in my heart that somwhere in that deep, dark, innovative mind of his there is a whole-lotta inventive, creative,disturbing, bowel moving, audience challenging and visually arresting shows left.........................................

I'm so disappointed.........
Why u have to done this ??~:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I've waited this collection for so long, but now........It made me sad.
Where is the "Real" Mcqueen, I want u back......:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh god Lee..! do you want to make me cry?? I was hoping for something fantastic after last season...but...:cry:

I was goin to say he can't go "back" but he never was "back!" This is a new... no first! low:unsure:
Commercial won't save him! Not being commercial is what made him

OK ... I know Lee's been trying REALLY hard to get his hands in the american market .. he's strategized by dressing Deborah Messing for the VH1 Vogue Fashion awards (by the way .. what happened to those?) and handing clothes to Mariah and such ... I can see infinite Hollywood appeal and remember that models are no longer on the covers of Vogue ....its celebs ... and if for award seasons we see McQueen all over the red carpet and he becomes profitable and have a bit more "space" in order to be creative and infiltrate the designs we know and love ...

I agree with everyone .. but I love Lee so much I'm gonna look at the glass half full and wish him best and hopefull my words would become a prophecy (sp?) and see this looks all over the red carpet events ... (tho those short dresses .. who'd WEAR?)

Wow, this is so bad. What happened? I didn't think McQueen was capable of making a bad collection. :cry:

I like it but it's not as great as his past work. Alexander McQueen had, imo, some of the best collections I've ever seen in fashion. He created outfits that changed my whole view on the fashion industry and made me consider him the best designer ever, my favourite atleast. :(

you know, overall it sucks, but there are a few nice pieces. i really expected more from him after his spectacular fall collection.

Model behaviour

McQueen's clothes do the talking

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Jess Cartner-Morley in Paris
Saturday October 8, 2005
The Guardian

[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]When Alexander McQueen said last month that he was done with shock tactics on the catwalk, he was not telling the whole truth. True, the clothes worn by the models on last night's Paris catwalk were reasonably restrained, but the We love you Kate T-shirt which McQueen wore in support of his friend Kate Moss was the designer at his most deliberately provocative.

It will also be a bestseller as soon as some enterprising soul runs up a few copies and advertises them on the internet.

It was also the first clear declaration of sympathy for Moss from a luminary in an industry which has otherwise not dared step out of line.

The alchemy of fashion demands that each season designers must pluck two apparently ill-matched aesthetics from the ether and breed a new sub-species.

McQueen chose Greek goddesses and 1970s rock'n'roll. So the models' hair was greased behind the ears, Ozzy Osbourne style, but then morphed from here into gleaming waves which spread Venus-like across the shoulders. There were long white jersey gowns with gold chain belts, but also tight black leather hipsters. If you are wondering where the two looks meet, the answer is simple: Wonder Woman. Think tiny pleated skirts with boxing belts, bras worn under sheer T-shirts, and metallic boots. It was another aesthetic chemistry lesson at Chanel: here, the experiment was Coco meets James Dean. The first suit was a denim blouson jacket worn with tight jeans and a ponytail; teddy boy cardigans and hats were worn by boys and girls. It was an alliance which allowed designer Karl Lagerfeld to show off the versatility which keeps Chanel current. For example: classic Chanel jackets have a heavy chain threaded inside their hem which keeps the shape defined. In yesterday's show, these were visible, attached to the outside of the jackets. Trademark camellias, instead of appearing at the buttonhole of a jacket, were plastered all over a miniskirt, to create the season's puffball shape.
[/font]

^ thanks for the article Helena..... :flower:

I didn't even notice his Kate Moss shirt... ...too bad.... And why do models (esp Emina C) always have to brag about such awful collections just to get more "points".... it's like all they know is the word "sexy" "well cut" "so hot"... :rolleyes:

Agreed that the bathing suits are tacky, and this may not be the most amazing Mcqueen collection ever, but I still love it. It's just gorgeous. It has the same vibe as Versace (which is good in my book), like you feel if you can just wear those pieces, you'll become this imcredibly sexy woman. Not that you'd ever actually put on half the pieces.... but isn't that almost the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"