Blog Design Technique & Tips

What do you guys think about image headers vs. text headers?

I have a background in web design so this may be from my experience in that, but I'm always disappointed to come to a fashion blog and the header is simply the text title. It always surprises me, especially on some of the more popular blogs. I was taught formally that it's not the best way to draw people in.

Has that become the preferred aesthetic?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it depends on the feel of the blog

some are very straight-to-the-point, ..very clear.. simple, informative writing. and minimal design (mostly white space). so if they can find one font that works, it's all they need

when i first did mine, i didn't have a graphics editor so i just used coloured text and then put images all around it (using <div> codes) so it sort of looks like a banner than just text...

I need some help, I had a fashion blog a while ago but I didn't like it that much because it had the typical blogspot design.
What I want is that it will look different, well not that different but bigger, with more space.
These two blogs are more or less what I want to do http://jakandjil.com/blog/ or http://www.daydreamlily.com/

I have tried with some tutorial to change the blogspot html code but they never work:(
Could anyone post a good code from what I'm expecting? PLEASE:rolleyes:

Nani, I managed to change the layout of my blog through experimentation and googling :smile:

I think you can change it like this...
1. Go to the Layout tab and click HTML

2. Find something looking like this:
#main-wrapper {
width:500px
in the template.

3. Increase the width.

A few lines underneath "#main-wrapper { " is "#sidebar-wrapper" and make sure the width of the sidebar and the width of the main wrapper add up to or less than the number next to:
#outer-wrapper {
width:

As you can tell, I am definitely not educated in internet technicalities.

When designing the look of my blog, I thought that outlines around the images contributed to the typical "Blogspot" look. To remove images, find the bits that look like this:
and next to "border" type "0" in replacement of whatever is immediately before "px"
By doing this to everywhere that "border:" appears, borders around the header and any image that is on the blog will disappear.

This is all what I've learnt from experimentation and googling... it might not be the best/proper way to do things but it works for me.
I hope it helps :flower: sorry that I'm shocking at explaining

** eta:
Also, change the fonts (Layout >> Fonts and Colors) so it will look different from the Blogspot default

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know of any way to track IPs of visitors (blogspot compatible)? I really don't care about any other visitor stats except IPs..

I've been having this problem with resizing my personal photos on my blog...

The other day, I realised that my personal photos on this blog are pixelated when using Internet Explorer :-( I think that this is because I resize my photos with HTML to a width of 700px while keeping them in proportion. On Safari (this is what I use) they look fine, and I'm quite sure they are fine on Firefox as well. To solve this, I could hotlink a smaller size from my Flickr (the next smallest is with a width of 500px) or I could change the setting on my camera so it takes photos 640px wide but I really don't want to :(

I'm using wordpress v2.8.6.
i'm still testing out the layout so there's practically no content.

here's how it looks like right now.

http://thechinesebonbon.com

How do I:
1) remove the "latest post" and make the title of my latest post align neatly with the top of my side bar

2) For individual posts, the title is bigger than those on the main page,how do i make them the same size? And change the colour.

^I can't edit that anymore. But after trial and error-ing the hell out of every single thing that was on my css page, I finally got it done.

BUT, more problems with the comments section. Everything I try has NO CHANGE on the comments section.

How do increase the size of the gravatar shown when someone comments?

Also, how do I change the background colour of the author replies so that the author's comments pop out? (I've tried googling BUT i can't find the code that they told me to find)

I've allowed for nested comments through settings>discussions provided on the wordpress control panel. How do I add a quote and reply button as well to all the comments?

This is probably really basic how to do, but I'm trouble with the header on my blog.
I want it longer than it is, and the page to be wider. How do I do it? :doh:

^ I like your blog! I always prefer blogs with allot of photos, colors and a little personal writing..:smile:

my blog can be seen at http://www.jeremydante.com - i do all the HTML myself & have gotten high marks from major companies. its part of the reason why i landed a partnership to broadcast the AW10 burberry womenswear show. would love to hear what others think. all images seen of me are self shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->