Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2013 Paris

The reason sales increased after Raf came to Dior was because of the hype. Every fashion media outlet in the world was talking about it. You can't say that it's the clothes the raised sales, because sales raised before his first collection even came out. And sales are raising more because he's continually getting more and more hype. Let's face it. The RTW show sucked a*s. It was made terribly, and the clothes were extremely lackluster. Any collection that puts a dress that has an embroidered rorschach vagina on it is terrible. Raf Simons, contrary to popular belief, doesn't have what it takes to live up to Christian Dior.

Well what were the sales of Haute Couture before Raf. I can't imagine it accounting for no more than 5% of CD's total sales. Raf's clothes aren't that complicated or difficult to make, and more than likely not that expensive. That's probably why women have been gobbling it up. New, hot, and not that expensive. That's just my opinion.

Sloppy sewing and poor selection of fabrics have been the most common reasons I've found. And I think most sewers or people who make clothes would agree. This isn't esoteric information, I was taught what causes seam pucker and how to avoid it. I guess not everyone did.

And I looked at the the Prada collection closely and I think there's a huge difference in neatness. But each to his/her own. Maybe some people don't mind looking a little off.

Prada's RTW Askatran coats from fall looked more Couture-Like and expertly made compared to Raf's. And the fur she showcased for Spring were far more superior to the fur in Raf's HC collection. When referencing the Satin in the two collections I believe the Prada team used a much more effective technique, Raf has no experience using these types of fabrics and materials and it shows. He had no construction or quality issues at Jil Sander so it may just be an in house problem at Dior, or due to the fact that he usually stuck to a very small variety of fabrics at Jil.

It is entirely personal - some prefer the more traditional approach to the red carpet gowns, some like RS's elegant new experiments.

I of course prefer the latter because without new designs and concepts, fashion will be stuck in a rut. This sort of skin revealing isn't so "senseless", as many have been wearing variation versions which are iconic of the Antwerpen academy. To me, it's not even the horizontal "slit" that is the main attraction, but a new shape and "crustacean" construction, which I appreciate for its new way of pattern making and cutting.

The lapel does look intentionally "puffy", as it has not been flattened with pick-stitching, which is how bespoke lapels are sewn.

The headlines do show that many consider the Dior couture gown worn by Lawrence one of the "best dresses".

Sales probably went up because it's the first time that a lot of Dior couture can actually be worn by sane women.

This was what Dior HC looked like before RS:

Source
http://www.j-nacustomgsb.com/christian-dior-haute-couture.html

Also, the sales increase is attributed to RS by many journals in their headline, I don't think journalists and writers will take the risk to declare something that isn't true, as their heads will be on the proverbial platter.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2013/02...ture-sales-rise---raf-simons-first-collection

SALES of Christian Dior Couture enjoyed a significant boost in 2012. Raf Simons' debut haute couture collection for the fashion house prompted a 24 per cent rise in comparison to 2011's figures, with total sales for the year equating to €1.24 billion (£1.07 billion).

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-05 at 1.03.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-02-05 at 1.03.04 PM.png
    289 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
I just went to a Dior boutique because I was curious to see any Raf Simons for Dior pieces...

I just want to say, it looks like expensive Zara. Nothing in the cut is special,compared to the interesting Raf Simons clothes and even more Jil Sander garments.
Everything looked so dull. Just basic feminine cuts with expensive fabrics, no twist, nothing particular that screams perfection and imagination.

Raf succeeds to be a designer to dress rich tourists and is his avant-garde is kind lost I think---

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->