Christian Dior S/S 2013 Paris

^Thats fine, my experience speaks for itself.

First of all, I thought that it was very funny that for his first RTW collection, and while every media talk about Raf being the rival of Hedi, he sent on the runways as the first looks black tuxedo - the YSL revolution in RTW womenswear - with the beautiful snob scarf of Dior ...

The middle part with all stripes was a pain in the *** ...

But if there is one thing that I remember from this show are these wonderful materials (somebody knows what they are ??) that looked like fire, water or thunder ... Really beautiful in motion and very eye catching (not sure these effects would look good in papers editorials - and that's where the editorial has its limits - so a video editorial could be cool with these things) ...

Now, it's true it was poor in comparison of Galliano/Robinson (everybody seems to forget the importance of Steven when talking of the golden years of Galliano at Dior) ... No spectacle, but a very beautiful set, though ... The curtains reminded me of a Felix Gonzalez-Torres piece ... And all these windows - I cannot put the thing of what it reminds me yet, but ... Argh ! Like a contemporary architecture facade probably ...

It was also very last season of Raf at Jil Sander, which makes me wonder whether or not that succession was not something actually prepared well in advance ... But I'm not in the know ... So that's just a guess of someone enough paranoiac to assume that's this succession of Galliano by Mr. Simons is something that's in the file for longer than we actually get informed of ... Or perhaps, these are researches that are still influencing him ...

It's not a 100% joy for me ... But this is not as bad as people comment here and not as good as the critics reviewed it ...

Oh by the way, Ms. Menkes what is exactly "21st century modernism" in there ???? I just feel this galvaude terms is used to please the LVMH and the reader ... But actually means nothing ...

I didn't like the collection at first sight but then I took the time to look at the hq video and pictures. I'm in love with the perfectly tailored suits and suit dresses that first came down the runway and all of the dresses towards the end. I like the way he experimented with the shiny fabric, it looked fantastic in motion. However, I didn't like the shape of the bulky tops that were paired with shorts and I also didn't understand the cuts of the pink and blacked striped dresses... neither minimal nor flattering. I think there is just enough Christian Dior in this collection to make it recognizable but every piece has also been modernized with experimental fabric and streamlined cuts. I think it's a grower.

Edit: Pretty much everything already said by BerlinRocks. Heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh by the way, Ms. Menkes what is exactly "21st century modernism" in there ???? I just feel this galvaude terms is used to please the LVMH and the reader ... But actually means nothing ...

THANK YOU

Well it's totally different from what I'd seen Dior ( as I knew Dior cos of John G), it takes time for me to adjust what i saw but it was such a good and strong attempt for Raf.

I like some pieces. Although I would like to see more fashion design and not only clothing. Some models look like secretaries.

The makeup artist - if it is the same that worked in the couture collection- should be banned forever from this house. It is an ugly collection, imo.

OK,the dresses are horrible.
Raf isn't a master to make dresses,it shows.
But hey!Really beautiful handbags and shoes.
That's all Dior needs,isn't it?
Big brands doesn't make money by selling clothes,it's the handbags,cosmetics that bring in cashes.

P.S.John Galliano revolutionize Christian Dior,don't tell me what this brand was,trying to justify Raf Simon's weakness in making dresses.

I'm so disappointed by this collection...after the beautifully tailored couture, I really expected Raf Simons to up the ante for RTW, bringing some of the skills and techniques, but nothing spectacular is shown. Some of the little black dresses, suits and jackets show promising efforts, but there are too few of these, and they were not experimented more on. The rest are cut HORRIBLY. He showed these high-tech materials instead, over ugly floral prints and bad egg-shaped skirts...what the...??

7735d566gw1dxdd79pt0hj.jpg

How can somebody look at these and tell me they are refined,sublime or even beautiful?They are not even flattering on models.Just off,unfinished and seemingly poorly-made.
Can't believe these are from Raf. What beautiful things he created for Jil Sander!
Nothing new or exciting.So much of this show are what I've already seen this July and last 7 years of Jil Sander by him.
Forget the details,or those reviews.
As a women,I don't want to wear these clothes,ever.

Well I hate HC Raf's collection, I just adore Gallianos era! But, its even surprise for me, I LIKE and even LOVE the collection.
It was Dior, but skirts here are thinner. You can see Raf's touches but its not Jil Sander.
Thats beautiful simple dresses, I really like suits. And fabrics! Those amazing fabrics look exactly like the water on the sun. Its very beautiful.
I have a feeling that this collection will be succesful. I can see these clothes in editorials and red carpets. and maybe most of your seeing these clothes in other styling will like it.
Rafs Dior is beautiful and wearibble. Galliano's Dior is the art. Both are good.

I was never a fan of Galliano's work, and I'd rather Dior go in this direction even with a shaky start.

The makeup artist - if it is the same that worked in the couture collection- should be banned forever from this house. It is an ugly collection, imo.

Actually the make-up was one of my favorite elements in the show. A bare face and then boom those amazing sequined eyes, especially the color on Daria. I believe that Pat still does it.

the dress of Hanne-Gaby is the worst I think, it looks like an expensive Halloween costume....no kidding...

some of the looks were unflattering though i loved the movement of the shorter fluid pieces. The 1st suits with little scarves were cute, reminded me of European flight attendants

NO NO NO. I expected minimalism, but not in this clownish way(?). I don't know how to call it ...

First of all, I wonder who will want to buy these shoes after seeing the way in which they were presented...:lol:

I'm not really sure what to think of it. I think I like it but I'm not sure whether I really like it or whether I just want to like it because it's from Raf. There are some wonderful pieces but also some... catastrophies :huh: Overall it lacks a clear vision. I don't really get a good feeling what the brand is gonna be under Raf. However, some pieces show great potential and I'm positive he will develop and grow into his new role.

The show as such was great, loved the runway. Would have been more beautiful without so many models who struggled with the shoes though ^_^

***PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES***
How can somebody look at these and tell me they are refined,sublime or even beautiful?They are not even flattering on models.Just off,unfinished and seemingly poorly-made.
Can't believe these are from Raf. What beautiful things he created for Jil Sander!
Nothing new or exciting.So much of this show are what I've already seen this July and last 7 years of Jil Sander by him.
Forget the details,or those reviews.
As a women,I don't want to wear these clothes,ever.

pictures from stylebristo

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annejudy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->