Christian Dior HC F/W 12.13 Paris

Everyone's saying that this collection is good because of the craftsmanship and silhouettes, so I think we can thank the Dior atelier for being skilled dressmakers and we can thank Mr. Dior for the silhouettes. What can we thank Raf for? Aside from the atelier's work, I find this collection lacking all around. I'm not getting the big deal about the details either. What details? To me, it's boring and lacks substance.

I don't need people to tell me the definition of couture or show me the Dior archives. I'm pretty confident in my knowledge of fashion history and I think everyone in this thread can tell for themselves what they like and don't like.

I'm sorry I know the clothes are good and very wearable and all of that but come on it's a haute couture collection. When it comes to couture I expect extravaganza, out of this world creations, craziest ideas, a show where my wildest dreams come true on the runway. This collection is beautiful, no denying that but it doesn't make me excited, or inspires me so much that I have to watch the show again and again and again like I used to do with Galliano shows.
I hope this is just the start and next collections will be exciting again!

I must say I love this. It is so refreshing, like a lovely cleansing of the palate after the cacophony of loud, unpleasant flavors that was Galliano's more recent work, which was a parody of his earlier Dior work (I'm choosing to ignore the Gaytten interim because it was so bad).

The ultimate elegance is knowing when enough is enough and less is more and Raf understands this perfectly. I find the understatedness totally right for the austerity of our times too. Any eurotrash oligarch wife/girlfriend can pile tonnes of sequins, yards of unnecessary fabric, plus feathers, fur, leather and jewellery on every square inch of their body, but not everyone comprehends the maturity and class of minimalism done with the utmost skill and thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive looked at all the HQ images and saw the HD video and I've decided how I feel about this collection. Dior is dead to me now, I am moving on.
I don't find anything refreshing in this collection other than the fact that it is simple.I feel like this collection is almost an exact replica of vintage Dior looks and contrived of any real thought or direction for
Dior
and I remembered why the ball gown bodice/ evening dress over pants looks were so familiar, Alicia Keys did it few years back for some red carpet event. It was really bad back then I didn't like seeing on the runway of a Haute Couture show.

For all the people who say Haute Couture isn't also a look you are gravely mistaken. Haute Couture is in every way both technique and presentation i.e. a look. This Dior offering looked like any ready-to-wear collection that we'd see in February or September. And with so many RTW designers throwing down the gauntlet and making pieces that are well crafted and filled with pomp, couture designers are expected to always be a cut above. You may be cautious to say it but the emperor was indeed naked with that offering.

How does laziness come from purifying the house from it's previous successors? I'm not going to say I didn't like John or Bill at the house but I think over-the-top couture has officially run it's course in the house of Dior.

It's so depressing how many people can't appreciate this collection from it's subtle use of tailoring, embellishing, fabrication and color. To see a house brought back to it's core from a brilliantly talented designer is such a thing to admire. Raf knew it wasn't about him. It was about the house of Dior and what it has stood for so many decades. In a time where whacky trends are coming in one after another, Raf has made probably the most wearable couture collection in the longest time, I always knew Raf wanted to make pieces that were wearable and he shows it beautifully in his first ever Couture presentation. I don't think clients pay crazy amounts of money for over-the-top couture pieces, I think they pay it for the custom tailoring of the clothes and to look perfect in them. Galliano's over-the-top pieces were always being altered one after another. I can't see any reason why the customer would want to alter any of these clothes...

his collection is so boring, even the music it is so depressing , i think we all know the mood at Dior . I know the vision and the master are gone , but for Raf can better stick with menswear and i can still buy it but no more haute couture for him .
I am a huge fan of his work. Please there are a lot of lazy designers ou there but a lot of designers who can do better like Tisci who can sell a dream and put iton a good show.\even the organization or pr and the models aren't that good

The man himself explaining the collection

Quote:
Raf Simons says the focus of his first collection for Christian Dior was to "change the psychology of people who are interested in couture."
Simons may have accomplished that goal: the reviews of the show have been universally positive, and many noted that Simons's work might cause a shift in the way couture is viewed. Cathy Horyn said Simons "gets the most and the best out of couture," while Tim Blanks observed that the designer "can't help himself; he will bring a heart-on-his-sleeve human dimension to this remote and rarefied world."
As Simons later explained to Blanks, he's doing that by re-imagining the possibilities and limits of the couture customer.
"I want to make it more dynamic, appeal to a person who has a different energy," he said. "A younger person, in mind, not necessarily in age. And I think couture is very much about curating something unique for women. Fashion is so mass-produced now; I hope there will come a refocus on how people see couture. And I would also hope for a new focus on the craft. . . . It's mind-blowing when you start investigating what is done here. But I want to approach it with a new energy. I'm interested to see how people will pick up on it."

source:fashionologie

Are there still no photos of the backs of the looks?

I really want to see that too. Especially the last few looks seem to have really interesting, contrasting back details. I am sure there are nice details we are missing on several pieces. The video only showed us the sides.

I can't believe I read this thread in its entirety. It's been years since I have done that on a TFS thread this long. I think this collection is exquisite. Every stitch looks perfectly placed. I think Galliano's version of Couture has its place, but it saddens me to see people taking that as the definition of Haute Couture. It shows how influential he was, and how important his legacy is, but Couture did not begin with Galliano and it didn't end with Galliano. Raf did a great job IMO.

Simply beautiful... I love the idea of rooms filled with flowers! How beautiful! I love that blue mink jacket and skirt... some of the very short dresses are amazing too!

It's a very beautiful HC collection. Maybe a little
Safe but still very beautiful.

I'm glad I stuck around to see the HQs. The livestream screencaps really did not do the collection justice.

I am so glad, that some folks can see the video and see who boring it was , everybody knows the priviliege of the fashion industry and the deals to get a good word in the newspaper wtf ... I guess the designer vision .. it is still Mr dior too bad that some bashed his vision by making replica without bring something new like YSL or Galliano , I am not a customer for Dior no perfum and no glasses , nothing OVER AND OUT if you like that collection so much go out and buy it !

This is nice, actually very very beautiful, but i´m not happy with it, i know this is a different era, the Raf´s era, but I prefer Galliano´s work, it was inspiring to me, a dream come true! love the make up, the hair, the shoes, the stage, the music, the theatricality and the real stars of the show, THE WONDERFULL DRESSES, so it will take some time (to many of us) to get used to this "new look".

I will put soundtrack and share in you tube! ;D

I hate this man! The same for you :yuk:

Thank you for the video, even without sound.:flower::heart:.

It's a rarefied collection fit for a modern day Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly. It manages the impossible feat of being both nostalgic and modern, this is stunning couture, beyond my expectations for a first haute couture attempt. Bravo Raf Simons!:heart:

I don't know, I like some pieces but overall I find this collection quite dull. However, I think we should give him more time to adapt himself.

I didn't go through all the pages but I'll just say this: I didn't like all the pieces, but I am glad that Raf produced something well-made and beautiful and stayed true to his aesthetics. I would be much more disappointed if he had gone crazy, tried to mimic the Galliano style many people miss and simply produced a collection that wouldn't be HIM. Plus, I believe we have to wait for future collections in order to form complete opinions for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->