Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2013 Paris

I hope RS doesn't remain too much of a hostage to heritage but seeks to create collections more relevant to today's clients than M. Dior himself. Hope he's not too much living in his own bubble to whistle past the constructive criticisms as for sure his career depends very much on him hitting the right notes more often as it goes. There are too many pretty, luxurious dresses out there, I hope that he delivers something more directional - even though there's a palpable "Dior" influence by RS on the runways, etc. full dresses with pockets, open-front skirts over cigarette pants, it still feels too retro for comfort.

I have no words for this. Raf Simons was never a genius, but he made some half decent collections for Jil Sander. This is just beyond terrible, beyond amateur and beyond cheap.

He's really trying too hard to make his style "Dior", but it doesn't work... It doesn't look genuine.

If Mr. Christian Dior were to design in the 21st Century, I believe his design will be similar to this.

I like the part where he emulates Dior but I really don't like it when he tries to be difficult and complicated. It's just a fusion that does not work. It takes more skill than that to merge elegance and avant garde.

I honestly still can't believe people like this show. There's so many things wrong with it. The hair and makeup, for one. Most of this crap is remakes of the stuff from his last two collections. I don't understand how this could be getting so much praise.

I'm glad of see how innovative Raf is :rolleyes:

He used bling-bling on eyelids for his SS PAP collection and this time it was used on lips. I won't be that surprised if next season we see models with bejewled noses or vaginas.

BTW ALL THIS CRAP makes me questioning about who was the real big mind behind those great designs at Jil Sander.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's only shown 3 collections but I believe he's developed a severe editing problem. All three of his collections have been cluttered with filler looks that are completely unnecessary with his first RTW collection being the worst offender.

For Example:

badzz.jpg

These looks should have never left the Atelier in my opinion. I wanted to include more but that would have really whittled down the collection to 30 looks. :doh:

And the rest with a little rearranging.

38925115.jpg

style.com

^I absolutely agree with you and thats my only problem with him. I dont know if Dior pressures him to make a certain looks colection but there are a lot of looks that shouldnt be there, mainly on the ready to wear colection and I believe that was what put the colection down. In Jil Sander his colections had the right number, he did the looks he felt he should be doing. In Diors case it looks like he creats his colection and then ads a few other looks to make the colection biger.

I honestly still can't believe people like this show. There's so many things wrong with it. The hair and makeup, for one. Most of this crap is remakes of the stuff from his last two collections. I don't understand how this could be getting so much praise.

perhaps you've forgotten but fashion and taste is subjective :rolleyes:

and what's wrong or "crap" in your eyes may not be for others. spare us the snobbishness....get enough of that already.

Mrs. Jennifer Lawrence wore this look at the SAG awards not long ago & what we can't see on the runway, apparently there's a transparent panel connecting the two fabrics.

lg8bghA.gif

brookeeverdeen.tumblr.com

The more I see his designs actually on celebrities and out of the realm of a themed fashion show setting, the less I like what he's done at the house. It always appears, rather shockingly, poorly constructed and ill-fitting. I think his ideas behind the designs, this sort of combination of minimal, feminine, glamor and elegance is quite modern and innovative, but somehow the execution comes out dated looking. I do hold faith that he may be on the path to something incredible, but he hasn't struck gold yet... not even close.

That Jennifer Lawrence dress is so odd. Wrong in all the wrong ways.
Why she's even a Dior girl is beyond me.

The more I see his designs actually on celebrities and out of the realm of a themed fashion show setting, the less I like what he's done at the house. It always appears, rather shockingly, poorly constructed and ill-fitting. I think his ideas behind the designs, this sort of combination of minimal, feminine, glamor and elegance is quite modern and innovative, but somehow the execution comes out dated looking. I do hold faith that he may be on the path to something incredible, but he hasn't struck gold yet... not even close.

I disagree, the only celebrity who is probably too young for the brand is JLaw. Her looks are hit-or-miss, mostly because she, in general, lacks the necessary class and sophistication to pull them off.
PS. I especially cringed when at the Golden Globes, she was asked about the dress and she was all "oh it's CD Haute Couture, whatever that means, that's what they told me to say" or something like that.

i think there's an awkwardness in the way lawrence carries herself say compared to somebody like marion cotillard who's been wearing a lot of raf's dior designs of late....and she's pulled all of them off quite beautifully,imo. it really does depend on the person you're dressing too. these aren't basic creations merely compensated by a bunch of material and bead-work...there's a lot of constructive elements that probably kind of counter certain people. tilda swinton for instance would have pulled that slitted dress off sublimely.

1it really does depend on the person you're dressing too. these aren't basic creations merely compensated by a bunch of material and bead-work...there's a lot of constructive elements that probably kind of counter certain people.

THIS. I think you hit the nail on the head here. I don't want him to bend, or compromise, or dumb-it-down, but hopefully he can immerse himself fully into figuring out how to make these complex silhouettes slightly more universally flattering. Even with Marion, I've found some of the gowns hard for her to carry.

I don't mean to be all critical. I actually find the "it's boring", and comparisons to other designers beyond eye roll worthy. He is one of the few innovative ones [truly doing their OWN thing] out there right now.

I disagree, the only celebrity who is probably too young for the brand is JLaw. Her looks are hit-or-miss, mostly because she, in general, lacks the necessary class and sophistication to pull them off.
PS. I especially cringed when at the Golden Globes, she was asked about the dress and she was all "oh it's CD Haute Couture, whatever that means, that's what they told me to say" or something like that.

She said she doesn't know what haute means. Not haute couture.

I have no idea who Jennifer Lawrence is, but her dress is stunning...very sexy and sophisticated in a modern way. The high slit has been done to death, this is indeed an intelligent and surprising new way to show off some skin in an elegant column. It shows a lot of thought in the construction of the dress too, the tulle and silk layers, in order to spring the unexpected glimpse during movement. This is what I love about RS's Dior collections so far, they are interesting concoctions, especially when viewed 3-dimensionally in motion. Even though I personally detest the "cinched-waist-big-skirt" silhouette in general, RS has shown very beautiful ideas for the angled trapeze and the columns in this collection, which to me is a step up from his previous two. He definitely put a lot of thought into what makes a gown modern.:heart:

you know that slit thing is such a antwerpian thing to do too. that wit by creating not just the illusion of sexiness and exuberance but there's such an intelligent geometry about it that i appreciate as well.

i think raf like so many before him will eventually find that right balanced chord and become a better designer here just as he did at jil sander. don't underestimate the power of his talent because as soon as even i have been a bit disappointed he's blown me away once more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->