Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

other day. The closest one could argue is the Aziz case which a) he confirmed the account b) never framed him as an abuser and c) like a member commented above, just because he didn't r*pe doesn't mean his behavior wasn't right.

In the fashion industry, all the recent accusations of misconduct were not brought up by some random on social media. They were carefully investigated by respected journalists of The New York Times and The Boston Globe, who not only did background checks to verify the accounts, but came with a string of different accusers from different periods of time all telling the same story, and painting a clear pattern behavior of those men.

Actually in the Aziz case she called it sexual assault. And it was as a sexual abuser he had to defend himself. If his behaviour was right or not, is not here or there, the MeToo movement was not the right context to tell her story.

But I agree with you in the second part of your post, I do not understand people that say that only if the perpetrator is found guilty in court they will believe the victims. No one is asking you to send the accused to jail, indeed you need a trial for that, but simply to believe people are telling the truth. Actually that's exactly the position of the prosecutor in any abuse or r*pe trial, someone has to "believe" your story in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually in the Aziz case she called it sexual assault. And it was as a sexual abuser he had to defend himself. If his behaviour was right or not, is not here or there, the MeToo movement was not the right context to tell her story.

Assault doesn't only revolves around r*pe, and that's a discussion society also needs to have. While I do agree that that story was not very well managed by the writer and the website, everyone can understand that his case is nowhere near the likes Weinstein, but doesn't mean he didn't do something wrong - and worse, extremely common.

Not gonna dwell on this topic because it's really the point, i'll just leave this segment from Samantha Bee's show which really hits a note on all this imo:

Actually she did not say no at all, she just went along with it. She's not a child, she was on a date, people will try it on, so what? Context is everything. She could have just stood up and left. Like most women have been doing all their lives. At no point was she in any way under any sort of duress. Actually, the way she tell the story makes him sound ridiculous and curiously harmless, so do not be surprised that people took a dim view of the fact she wants to be seen as a victim.
Edited: Removing comment directed at another nmembr.

It does not matter that she was a grown woman, there is no circumstance where it is expectable to make someone feel as though they must flee your company. Also it is not so simple to just walk out of someone's house if one is afraid as you don't know how that person will react, in that situation I can see why she why she was frightened to do so. Perhaps Aziz would have been fine with it but considering he didn't seem to concerned about her feelings I can see why she may have just went along with his behaviour.

Also while a lot of people have dissed the story many on twitter etc have also came forward with their own similar experiences and their support. I would say it has harmed his reputation, as an example his weak reception at the SAG awards. Also within her account she said she thought about coming forward for a long while and discussed it over with her friends before she decided to tell her story, that does not sound like someone who simply wanted to appear as a victim to me. Why would you want to admit to the humiliating experience knowing that many would attack you and dismiss your account? Woman understand the difference between Weinstein and Aziz, but that does not mean the latters beyond criticism.

I hear all the the time people who are critical of the #metoo movement and even before that bring this argument that if victims of sexual abuse are finally heard and believed, ultimately society will collapse because people will get wrongfully accused left and right. But I really need to ask: Where are these cases? Where are all these evil, vengeful women coming out of the woodwork to destroy the lives of oh so innocent men? Can anyone give a case of a woman jumping on twitter, crafting a made up abuse story and successfully achieving the demise of a man? The way some say it, we would be getting one of those every other day. The closest one could argue is the Aziz case which a) he confirmed the account b) never framed him as an abuser and c) like a member commented above, just because he didn't r*pe doesn't mean his behavior wasn't right.

In the fashion industry, all the recent accusations of misconduct were not brought up by some random on social media. They were carefully investigated by respected journalists of The New York Times and The Boston Globe, who not only did background checks to verify the accounts, but came with a string of different accusers from different periods of time all telling the same story, and painting a clear pattern behavior of those men.

But if you would only be convinced of the guilt of these men if a judge in a trial says so, you're hilariously naive about the scary flaws and bias of the judiciary system, or you just don't really care about the victim. Do you have any idea how many times women have braved themselves to speak up and seek justice, and got nothing? That even when they every evidence possible, the (white) men still gets off the hook? - the Brock Turner case always comes to mind. Then add on top of that if the men is rich and/or famous. You are rarely the winner. You are rarely believed.

Trust me, there's no joy in claiming to be a sexual assault victim. It's not something you do because all the cool kids are doing it, or because your ex-boyfriend broke your heart. When someone speak up, listen to them and let them be the innocent until proven guilty, not the accused.

Thank you for this, I totally agree with every point. :heart:
I think many people are just uncomfortable with the reality and prevalence of harassment and abuse. They would rather not confront their own beliefs or behaviour and would prefer the accusers just stayed quiet to spare them this discomfort.

So many use the "you can't just accuse people without proof!" argument but by doing so they essentially accuse the victim of lying-without proof. This attitude is why so many victims do not come forward. It's no wonder that r*pe victims are believed to suffer the most severe PTSD.

So many use the "you can't just accuse people without proof!" argument but by doing so they essentially accuse the victim of lying-without proof. This attitude is why so many victims do not come forward. It's no wonder that r*pe victims are believed to suffer the most severe PTSD.
Edited: to remove initial response directed at this member.

But I really need to ask: Where are these cases?
Duke Lacrosse? Mattress Girl? UVA?

Well I'd love to see you accused of something terrible and reputation destroying one day without any evidence! And by an anonymous victim, no less! Good luck, hun!

I wouldn't concern yourself with that too much as false accusations are extremely rare, it's so unlikely that it would be a ridiculous thing to actively worry about. I wish you luck also.

I don't think it's so important whether "#metoo" survives or not... what it's gone after is global and practiced in every region, it matters that something has been done in a fraction of an industry in a handful of countries, it creates a precedent and it influences the way people perceive behaviors that were simply accepted in the past, that small seed is stronger than any name or ideology or hashtag or "moment"...

Having observed and participated in a few movements (usually political), they're short-lived.. a lot of them arrive like a tornado and they change the mindset of people, make them debate and at least affect a few lives forever or modify the social structure, and then opportunistic people seize their moment and join them to help their own agenda or those affected join them in order to debilitate them... that's just part of their nature, their most valuable contribution has already been cast and it's out there for communities to continue to discuss ways to improve their society, which is what we need to be doing, questioning our own behavior and finding ways to create consequences and minimize abuse instead of shaming, like in the past... this is way WAY past "MeToo".. a movement creates waves, it does not hold any copyright for how we overcome challenges as a society.

So yeah, I think it's okay to get sick of "me too"... now if you're sick of r*pe or sexual harassment as a topic, look elsewhere instead of discrediting it maybe?.. I can't stand hearing about custody battles, so I just don't.. it doesn't make it any less real or necessary.

Regarding the claims that were made, I do not believe all of them were honest or not influenced by the prospect of exposure or vengeance... even if I personally always find these conceptions of a woman closer to a saint or superhuman floating above this world and intact from a breakdown of values as just insincere or truly uninformed flattery, my life experience is that women are as capable as men of acting in questionable ways exactly because it will secure them status/exposure/fame/money/element of cool or simply out of pain... do I know of anybody that did this in the movement? nope, but I sure have met both women and men that have accused former lovers of horrible things after being denied of another chance (from claiming pregnancy, claiming physical violence, revenge p*rn, harassing the new partner, starting websites to denigrate the guy...)... do I believe that anonymous list was full of false claims? no, but I don't see what's so hard to believe about that girl that just added her ex and how other people could not have done the same, people (read: not "women") do that, they can be awful and there's nothing unique about this movement to keep it safe from these completely human intentions.

Back to the original point, the whole movement recently reached my workplace (it wasn't women, it was a man molesting young men) and it was a nightmare and I heard everything from "well he's always been playful, that's how gay men are" "that's gay culture for you" "he always liked cute young men, the guys he was bothering were gay anyway, they read each other, that's why they didn't say anything" "maybe it's all been misinterpreted, the person that accused him has issues with sexual identity"... it made me realised that despite this being a "hot" topic, we're still decades away from clearing the way so people feel safe enough to go to court... even if I have seen with my own eyes what this man was doing and how he would intimidate in broad daylight, the fact that they came forward and were not even met with a "well, file a lawsuit" but "well, aren't you gay? isn't that how you guys roll?" just shows where we're at... your worth as a person is still put into question first, and I don't think that's okay.. it makes it very difficult to even dream of a legal process, which yes, is what ultimately everyone should be hoping to reach, not social media torching.. people have worked their butt off for centuries to establish and constantly refine a justice system that is based on research and evidence and whose goal is not a tooth-by-tooth exchange or to reform a person but to preserve societies.

Actually she did not say no at all, she just went along with it. She's not a child, she was on a date, people will try it on, so what? Context is everything. She could have just stood up and left. Like most women have been doing all their lives. At no point was she in any way under any sort of duress. Actually, the way she tell the story makes him sound ridiculous and curiously harmless, so do not be surprised that people took a dim view of the fact she wants to be seen as a victim.

There's so much wrong with this attitude I barely know where to start. It does not matter that she was a grown woman, there is no circumstance where it is expectable to make someone feel as though they must flee your company. Also it is not so simple to just walk out of someone's house if one is afraid as you don't know how that person will react, in that situation I can see why she why she was frightened to do so. Perhaps Aziz would have been fine with it but considering he didn't seem to concerned about her feelings I can see why she may have just went along with his behaviour.

Men are not r*pists by default, If you say to a man you have changed your mind, even in the heat of the moment, the expectation is not that he will turn out to be a criminal. And in the overwhelming majority of cases people are respectful of each other. I should know, I've been around the block. What you cannot expect is that the whole world will be attuned to your feelings, or your "non verbal cues", if someone is incapable of saying no and is always too frightened to be attacked by their date to simply stand up and leave, they clearly are not mature enough to be out. Maybe she should have left when he committed the cardinal sin of offering her white wine. It's as good an excuse as any other.

I wouldn't concern yourself with that too much as false accusations are extremely rare, it's so unlikely that it would be a ridiculous thing to actively worry about. I wish you luck also.
Well, I just listed 3 rather high profile cases, all within the last 5 years of false accusations.

Regardless...you're still missing the point. Whether or not false accusations are "rare" or not is still not reason to disregard and throw away the safeguards of the law that assumes innocence until proven guilty. Again...innocence of both the wrongfully abused and the falsely accused.

And by your reasoning of false accusations being rare, would you venture to say then that all of the accusations of the Salem Witch Trial were legitimate? And the burnings or the accused women were justified? You can laugh at the question I am posing and write it off as ridiculous, but this is exactly what I mean when I say - you may be willing to disregard the need for evidence or a fair trial in this particular climate because it suits your ideological goals...but when the next "witch hunt" happens, you may find yourself or loved ones in a position in which they cannot defend themselves from accusations of an entirely different sort. The Salem Witch Trials or The Spanish Inquisition may be farther off in history, but have we also forgotten the McCarthy era? Or the Gestapo? That wasn't all that long ago, people.

My final point is this and then I'm getting off this merry-go-round...I really cannot abide by the false assumption that if someone questions this movement or has concerns about the way in which these accusations are being made, they are automatically a hateful "victim blaming" bigot and are diminishing the trauma of sexual abuse and claiming that every last one of these #metoo accusations are false. NO. It's entirely possible for me, and others, to have a zero tolerance policy for sexual assault and simultaneously want to keep the legal systems and procedures intact, which are designed to protect the innocent.

Men are not r*pists by default, If you say to a man you have changed your mind, even in the heat of the moment, the expectation is not that he will turn out to be a criminal. And in the overwhelming majority of cases people are respectful of each other. I should know, I've been around the block. What you cannot expect is that the whole world will be attuned to your feelings, or your "non verbal cues", if someone is incapable of saying no and is always too frightened to be attacked by their date to simply stand up and leave, they clearly are not mature enough to be out. Maybe she should have left when he committed the cardinal sin of offering her white wine. It's as good an excuse as any other.

Sigh, I never said that he was a r*pist, and i am perfectly aware that few men are. What I did say is I can see why someone would be afraid to say no in that situation. I also wrote that Aziz may have let her go without fight, and it's my belief that he would have, I don't think he is an actual r*pist but I don't think his behaviour was acceptable either. Also, offering someone wine isn't the same as pressuring someone into sexual activity, come on now.

To add a personal tale to our discussion, I was the Aziz when I was on a date with a guy years ago, I was in his flat and things were getting flirty but after a while he seemed a bit uncomfortable, I asked him if he was alright as I sensed a change in him. He told me he wanted to slow things down and I agreed of course. I am sure you will respond with every situation is different etc, but it's just not that hard to sense someone's feelings and treat them with respect. And as I'm sure you're dying to know my date and I are still good friends! This incident is also a factor in why I connect so much with this case- I'm a fairly decent person and didn't find this hard at all, it worries me people view it as an impossibility to treat people with basic consideration.

Well, I just listed 3 rather high profile cases, all within the last 5 years of false accusations.

Regardless...you're still missing the point. Whether or not false accusations are "rare" or not is still not reason to disregard and throw away the safeguards of the law that assumes innocence until proven guilty. Again...innocence of both the wrongfully abused and the falsely accused.

And by your reasoning of false accusations being rare, would you venture to say then that all of the accusations of the Salem Witch Trial were legitimate? And the burnings or the accused women were justified? You can laugh at the question I am posing and write it off as ridiculous, but this is exactly what I mean when I say - you may be willing to disregard the need for evidence or a fair trial in this particular climate because it suits your ideological goals...but when the next "witch hunt" happens, you may find yourself or loved ones in a position in which they cannot defend themselves from accusations of an entirely different sort. The Salem Witch Trials or The Spanish Inquisition may be farther off in history, but have we also forgotten the McCarthy era? Or the Gestapo? That wasn't all that long ago, people.

My final point is this and then I'm getting off this merry-go-round...I really cannot abide by the false assumption that if someone questions this movement or has concerns about the way in which these accusations are being made, they are automatically a hateful "victim blaming" bigot and are diminishing the trauma of sexual abuse and claiming that every last one of these #metoo accusations are false. NO. It's entirely possible for me, and others, to have a zero tolerance policy for sexual assault and simultaneously want to keep the legal systems and procedures intact, which are designed to protect the innocent.

I feel it is you that has rather missed the point, you claim we must keep the legal system fair so that those who are accused get a unbiased trial, but statistics show how rare convictions are for those accused of r*pe, only about 3 percent actually go to prison, and the sentences they receive are often insultingly short. So let's not pretend that the whole legal system is about to fall apart just because sexual assault and harassment is finally being taken more seriously.

I find the second paragraph odd I'm afraid, I see the point you were trying to make but I don't envision a world where men are carted off to prison (or to be burned at the stake:P) without trial, nor would I want this. I hope the MeToo movement leads to a better understanding for victims and for the crime itself to be taken more seriously. I feel r*pe and assault victims deserve this, as humans it is important to the healing process for us to be validated and for justice to be granted.

It was an interesting discussion nonetheless, I wish you well. Although, if i am falsely accused of something and my life is ruined beyond repair I'll let you know :Pink::Pink:

I hear all the the time people who are critical of the #metoo movement and even before that bring this argument that if victims of sexual abuse are finally heard and believed, ultimately society will collapse because people will get wrongfully accused left and right. But I really need to ask: Where are these cases? Where are all these evil, vengeful women coming out of the woodwork to destroy the lives of oh so innocent men? Can anyone give a case of a woman jumping on twitter, crafting a made up abuse story and successfully achieving the demise of a man? The way some say it, we would be getting one of those every other day. The closest one could argue is the Aziz case which a) he confirmed the account b) never framed him as an abuser and c) like a member commented above, just because he didn't r*pe doesn't mean his behavior wasn't right.

But if you would only be convinced of the guilt of these men if a judge in a trial says so, you're hilariously naive about the scary flaws and bias of the judiciary system, or you just don't really care about the victim. Do you have any idea how many times women have braved themselves to speak up and seek justice, and got nothing? That even when they every evidence possible, the (white) men still gets off the hook? - the Brock Turner case always comes to mind. Then add on top of that if the men is rich and/or famous. You are rarely the winner. You are rarely believed.

Trust me, there's no joy in claiming to be a sexual assault victim. It's not something you do because all the cool kids are doing it, or because your ex-boyfriend broke your heart. When someone speak up, listen to them and let them be the innocent until proven guilty, not the accused.

Some great points here.

I do think it's possible to treat both parties (the accuser and the accused) fairly.

A lot of people seem not to be aware of the organization behind these movements (MeToo, Time's Up). This movement does not revolve around Twitter. I'm actually thrilled that there's so much more to it than that. That's why I believe it's not a flash in the pan, but a sea change.

We have a basic problem with how women are socialized that leads directly problems like this and much worse. IMO, you can see it in everything from the Aziz case to the Elizabeth Smart case. Girls need to be raised to speak out forthrightly on their own behalf and say what they do want and what they don't. Everyone needs to have boundaries. To some of us, it comes naturally no matter what people have tried to tell us about how we should behave. I was raised under a 10 foot pile of BS about how women should be feminine and submissive, and there was no age at which I didn't think 'hell to the no.' Jennifer Lopez calls it 'the Bronx in me.' We all have a job to do to make sure every girl gets some of that (and there are plenty of women who need to get some too).

Sigh, I never said that he was a r*pist, and i am perfectly aware that few men are. What I did say is I can see why someone would be afraid to say no in that situation. I also wrote that Aziz may have let her go without fight, and it's my belief that he would have, I don't think he is an actual r*pist but I don't think his behaviour was acceptable either. Also, offering someone wine isn't the same as pressuring someone into sexual activity, come on now.

To add a personal tale to our discussion, I was the Aziz when I was on a date with a guy years ago, I was in his flat and things were getting flirty but after a while he seemed a bit uncomfortable, I asked him if he was alright as I sensed a change in him. He told me he wanted to slow things down and I agreed of course. I am sure you will respond with every situation is different etc, but it's just not that hard to sense someone's feelings and treat them with respect. And as I'm sure you're dying to know my date and I are still good friends! This incident is also a factor in why I connect so much with this case- I'm a fairly decent person and didn't find this hard at all, it worries me people view it as an impossibility to treat people with basic consideration.

But that’s exactly where the flaw in your reasoning lies, YOU were attuned to someone else’s feelings, but you cannot expect everyone that will cross your path to be up to your own standards. But you do have a choice, if you think someone is being inconsiderate, you can just stand up and leave. It’s that easy. You do not just stay there and subject yourself to whatever your date feels like doing in the expectation that he will eventually clock out that you are not confortable.

We have a basic problem with how women are socialized that leads directly problems like this and much worse. IMO, you can see it in everything from the Aziz case to the Elizabeth Smart case. Girls need to be raised to speak out forthrightly on their own behalf and say what they do want and what they don't. Everyone needs to have boundaries. To some of us, it comes naturally no matter what people have tried to tell us about how we should behave. I was raised under a 10 foot pile of BS about how women should be feminine and submissive, and there was no age at which I didn't think 'hell to the no.' Jennifer Lopez calls it 'the Bronx in me.' We all have a job to do to make sure every girl gets some of that (and there are plenty of women who need to get some too).

I couldn’t agree more. Maybe that’s the real discussion, why are woman still educated to be so passive? Why this perception that women are doomed to endure abuse?
I have to say I was lucky enough to be educated with no gender bias, no one ever expected or treated differently because I was a girl, so I have no idea if my capacity to say no, and I’ve been saying a firm “no” to men since I remember existing, it’s due to education or personality, but it bothers me that a lot of people think that a refusal is not something that is always on the cards, that you will always end up victimised. And abuser, to put it plainly, is a criminal, it’s not your own behaviour that will turn men into one.

^ I think that's true, but I also think that criminals as well as just your average guy 'try one on.' Your demeanor makes a real difference in how people treat you, and that's everyone from construction workers on the street to a real nut-job kidnapper. Even unbalanced people know instinctively to look for an easy mark.

But that’s exactly where the flaw in your reasoning lies, YOU were attuned to someone else’s feelings, but you cannot expect everyone that will cross your path to be up to your own standards. But you do have a choice, if you think someone is being inconsiderate, you can just stand up and leave. It’s that easy. You do not just stay there and subject yourself to whatever your date feels like doing in the expectation that he will eventually clock out that you are not confortable.

Yes you've made that point over and over again, and I have replied each time that the fact is in the Aziz case (and many similar ones) it is frankly hard to believe that they would not know that the other was uncomfortable. If you have to keep forcing yourself on someone then the obvious conclusion is that they are not that into you, it really takes basic human intelligence in such a situation, it's really not that complicated. Maybe you are a brave and strong woman as you seem to have stated in another post and would find it easy to walk away from such a situation, many people are more vulnerable and that fact does not mean they deserve to be taken advantage of.

and before you say it, 'forcing' does not mean only r*pe- simply unwanted contact.

Wilhelmina, Major Models Receive Letter Banning Models From Pier 59
Wilhelmina's Wackermann offered Pignatelli the opportunity to form a coalition with agency leaders to see what can be done, and said Pignatelli wasn't interested.

By Lisa Lockwood on April 25, 2018

PIER 59 BAN: Bill Wackermann, chief executive officer of Wilhelmina International and Nadia Shahrik, vice president of Major Model Management, acknowledged Wednesday that they have each received letters by Federal Express from Pier 59 Studios’ attorney, Mark L. Cortegiano, that their models are no longer permitted to enter Pier 59 Studio, and if they do, his client will prosecute them for trespassing.

As reported, Federico Pignatelli, ceo of Pier 59, Art and Fashion Group and The Industry Model Management, said last Thursday he was banning Wilhelmina and Major Model Management from using his studios, claiming unfair business practices employed by these agencies.

In the letter to Wilhelmina, obtained by WWD, Cortegiano wrote, “While my client recognizes that Wilhelmina International is a large and long-established modeling agency, my client believes that Wilhelmina’s models are subject to financial and contractual duress, and Pier 59 will not work with Wilhelmina under those circumstances. It has come to my clients’ attention that payments to Wilhelmina’s models is only made after significant delay and repeated requests from the models.”

Wackermann said he spoke to Pignatelli for two hours on the phone. “If this is a person who really cared about the models, if a client books a Wilhelmina model, you’re going to escort a 19-year-old kid and throw her out of your building and turn her away from a job? Is that helping a model at all?” He said Pignatelli didn’t answer.

Further, Wackermann said, he offered Pignatelli the opportunity to sit down, if he really cared, and talk about putting a coalition together with leaders of the agencies to see what can be done. “He had zero interest in that,” claimed Wackermann.

In Cortegiano’s letter to Major Models, he wrote, “It has come to my clients’ attention that, among other things, Major is not properly paying its models for jobs, and that when models seek to be released from their contracts for not being paid, Major demands that the models waive the balance of any money owed to them by Major plus pay Major $7,000 to $10,000 to buy out the contract without any basis.”

Shahrik once again laughed at the accusation. She said her attorney has sent a letter to Pier 59, and she would let her attorney deal with the matter. “Everyone makes their own business decisions and they have to live with it,” she said.

Reached for comment, Pignatelli interpreted the conversation with Wilhelmina differently. “I spoke to the ceo of Wilhelmina and, during our conversation, he questioned my reasons for taking this action with the Models Bill of Rights. He asked me why I would set rules regarding modernizing payment practices and standardizing contracts that would also affect my agency. I replied that, ‘This is how I am choosing to run my agency and will continue to do so in the future. I feel very strongly about the principles that I laid out in the Models Bill of Rights.’

“I invited him to join me in taking action and changing his approach to business, but he refused. I also advised him to raise additional capital to bring the company into a stronger financial position to be able to pay the models accordingly, which he also refused. I am taking Wilhelmina’s response as a clear statement that they do not wish to work together to see the modeling industry modernized and changed so that models are paid in a fair and professional manner, without being under duress by enforcing the one-sided contracts that the models may find the agency to be in breach of and/or feel to be mismanaged.

“Major Models, instead, sent me an overly aggressive letter from their attorney stating that I was interfering with their business. As I have just received the letter, I am now in the process of responding to them,” said Pignatelli.
Source: http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...s-letter-banning-models-from-pier-1202660283/

So... Anthony Vaccarello blocked me on Instagram :lol:

He posted a billboard of the recent Vincent Gallo campaign, and Asia Argento went off on the comments for what Gallo said in the AnotherMan interview and for YSL for using him as model. I couldn't even screensave it because Vaccarello immediately deleted her comment. Just for the sake of it I posted asking why he deleted her comment, and as I expected he immediately deleted my comment and blocked me.

Interesting that he's so coy about this discussion considering his boss' wife is on the same boat as Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->