Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Karl drags #MeToo movement.

What do you think about #MeToo?

I’m fed up with it. I don’t even eat pig [in France the movement’s known as #BalanceTonPorc] What shocks me most in all of this are the starlets who have taken 20 years to remember what happened. Not to mention the fact there are no prosecution witnesses. That said I cannot stand Mr Weinstein. I had a problem with him at amfAR [the amfAR Gala is organised during the Cannes Film Festival in the fight against AIDS] …

Did he try and drag you into his hotel room too?

No, it wasn’t of a sexual nature, but a professional one. I’ll spare you the details, but he isn’t exactly what you might call a man of his word.

Have movements like #MeToo and #Time’sUp affected the way you approach your work?

Absolutely not. I read somewhere that now you must ask a model if she is comfortable with posing. Its simply too much, from now on, as a designer, you can’t do anything. As for the accusations against the poor Karl Templar [creative director at Interview magazine], I don’t believe a single word of it. A girl complained he tried to pull her pants down and he is instantly excommunicated from a profession that up until then had venerated him. Its unbelievable. If you don’t want your pants pulled about, don’t become a model! Join a nunnery, there’ll always be a place for you in the convent. They’re recruiting even!
numero

The whole interview is pretty gross.

Anyway, moving on, today is International Women’s Day…
For me Women’s Day is every day of the year. Men’s fashion does little for me. I buy it of course, and I’m delighted that Hedi [Slimane] is going to Céline but drawing a men’s collection and having to put up with all those stupid models, no thanks. Not to mention the fact with all their accusations of harassment they have become quite toxic. No, no, no, don’t leave me alone with one of those sordid creatures.
numero

Plus the tasteless comments about Alaïa.

A brilliant designer, a legend? Absolutely. But it's hard to overlook the fact that he's a garbage person. This industry will only begin to change and become a hospitable environment when the dinosaurs like him are gone.

Surrealist interview...
I love Karl but he might have some memory problems because he was supporting the MeeToo movement not so long ago on that WWD interview...

About Karl Templer, i’m Not surprised as during FW I heard a lot of similar comments.

As for Alaïa, it’s not surprising judging by Alaïa’s infamous interview where he criticized Karl and Anna. That old guard of designer is the epitome of pettiness.

The Journalist’s questions on JWA, Jacquemus and Abloh are weird. When did he believed that asking for someone to rank people’s talent is acceptable. This interview is too much gossipy for my taste... and The Who would you take to a desert island thing is super weird.

At this point, who cares about Karl’s vision of society? He is from an older generation and I don’t expect from him to be in tune with the time so I don’t understand why those journalists always feels the need to ask him about thing in which we don’t care what he thinks about.

Stupid interview for mostly stupid answers. If he is not talking about fashion, i’m not interested in what he has to say...

Maybe what I hate the most about Karl is that he sometimes believe that because he treats people well that it’s the norm. Ok, at Chanel, Fendi and KL, people only says nice things about his manners and how kind he is but if that MeToo movement became so important in the industry it’s because a lot of people are not treating people well. So aknowledge that or simply don’t comment about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole interview is pretty gross.

numero

A brilliant designer, a legend? Absolutely. But it's hard to overlook the fact that he's a garbage person. This industry will only begin to change and become a hospitable environment when the dinosaurs like him are gone.

There always seems to be plenty of young dinosaurs to go with the ancient ones.

He certainly has nerve calling victims 'toxic.' Umm, no ... they are not what's toxic. The industry, the environment, is toxic. Since Karl is (I gather) asexual, not to mention no one's victim, he may have some difficulty relating to what's going on. But it's important to realize when you don't know what you're talking about, or when your experience is different than other people's.

I am not sure why you are so triggered. He is right. I am fed up with metoo also. This thing is beyond ridiculous.

Gotta agree with Karl there. As the oldest dinosaur himself he should lead by example and retire asap. What a gross man he is.

I hope someone in the industry would call him out on his bs, but it's probably not gonna happen.

I am not sure why you are so triggered. He is right. I am fed up with metoo also. This thing is beyond ridiculous.

I don't think everybody in this world needs to be 100% behind this movement.
There are certainly some things that can be seen in a differentiated way. Not in terms of sexual abuse per se, but the way in which the perpetrators are pilloried instead of brought before a court. But there are good reasons for this, since some cases are time-barred, in many cases there is a lack of evidence and therefore victims do not get their rights even if they have to go through a painful process (and then also have to experience that the perpetrator gets away unscathed) - many shy away from trials because these very likely experiences cause another deep injury and in the past victims were often rather not believed.

Now a general mood has emerged in which victims are generally more likely to be believed. Therefore it is an impertinence of Karl Lagerfeld to claim that victims would only remember what has happened to them 20 years after an incident. Rather, they have lived for all these years with - partly more, partly less - traumatising experiences of which they have decided, for various reasons, not to communicate to a court or the public. And now they encounter a public mood in which they feel encouraged to do so. For their own sake, but also to make it easier for others who have had similar experiences.

To brush this aside like Karl Lagerfeld did makes me angry. To label the male models as toxic, who share their experiences of abuse, makes me angry. To dismiss it as the only alternative to a certain self-determination over one's own body, to go to a monastery as a nun and to portray a model as a freely available doll, makes me angry. I just can't express how angry I am after reading this.

Why he continually get a platform to spewing this crap, I don't know. I feel like it's pointless to even begin to rationalise his views. It's problematic, outdated, and brazenly insensitive. Thie irony is that Karl prides himself on 'looking ahead, and he's a staunch supporter of youth and controversial figures. It's so contradictory.
I'm also keen to see which of the ones who wore black to Golden Globes will continue to support Chanel, Fendi, and KL. Because if this was anyone else he'd be burned on a stake.

This interviewer is as trollish as Lagerfeld himself. Did you also get dragged to his hotel room?

Oh and Marc, thanks so much for nudging us to read the full interview. Now I have Karl's smooth, most likely milky white thighs etched my mind! :lol:

Always love when those who demand tolerance show none to someone with a contrary opinion or different perspective.

If giving backlash to someone for showing sociopath-like disdain for sexual abuse victims is being "intolerant", then I'm proud to be intolerant.

A contrary opinion welcome for your views on the economy or foreign policy, this is about basic human decency. And I don't care how many pretty dresses you designed, it doesn't give you a free pass to say such disgusting things.

If giving backlash to someone for showing sociopath-like disdain for sexual abuse victims is being "intolerant", then I'm proud to be intolerant.
tenor.gif

tenor.com
I think you have read different interview.

Oh, so you haven't read the Karl Lagerfeld interview from post #861, Nocturnal?

A contrary opinion welcome for your views on the economy or foreign policy, this is about basic human decency. And I don't care how many pretty dresses you designed, it doesn't give you a free pass to say such disgusting things.

I’ve seen the interview translated. I can’t say that he showed disdain but the questions are sensationalistic and when translated it’s even weirder.
The part where is talking about Karl Templer comes as totally different from what can be understand in French.

Seriously what I hate more than the answers are the questions. What is the purpose of this interview...Really!

It’s not even about agreeing and disagreeing because everybody has opinions on various things and it’s not about being old or anything (even if I think that questioning a privileged 85 years old man on society subjects is pointless) because there are a lot of people who thinks like that. It’s a human thing.

People are simply not as tolerant as some would want them to be. And I include myself in it. I know that the «politically correct*» expect from us to be tolerant and untolerant about certain subjects when in facts every human being has it degree of «*tolerant*».

I think i’m more angry because I love Karl and it is sad to see him tarnish his legacy with his interviews that in the spectrum of the fashion industry are not that shocking(to be honest) but with what is happening right now...It’s off.

But I guess at 85, you don’t give a damn about what people think or somehow you enjoy the pleasure of being politically incorrect.

he was obviously trolled hard by that guy interviewing him haha.. the hotel question :smile:rolleyes::lol:), the ranking, the desert island.. and Karl loves that, old people lose their filter and sometimes it’s so genuine and just a sign of some stage of dementia (which fyi, is able to give you happy test results way until the last stages- most people that suffer it know something’s off and do that ‘every test under the sun’ regularly).

I work with some people in their 80s, one was recently fired because he used to “massage” young boys.. when he was confronted, I realized the trip was more for us and we were in a time machine back in his youth in the 1950s and he really REALLY did not see what was f*cked about it (I actually felt sad for him). Same with Karl, he feels like he’s unable to perform his job if someone involved in the team is able to manifest discomfort, well well... age is and will be a major challenge for all of us, that’s why it’s great to naturally expire, stop fitting in and you know, exit. It kind of sucks for everyone when you won’t.. and by the way we have all these baby boomers in line, so Karl might be gone but it won’t get any better, Hedi Slimane is up next and he’s essentially Karl II but worse and after these people in their 50s, then we have the virgils and demnas, who unlike Karl, have brought nothing and will aged crippled by the defensiveness caused by that realisation, enjoy! :lol:

The tones in this translated interview are completely different to the original French. Whereas in the original French I raised eyebrows at some of his most scandalous comments, mainly those relating to the #MeToo movement, and perhaps chuckled when I knew he was obviously speaking in overtly-exaggerated French sarcasm about something else, the English translation is rage-inducing.

..... and by the way we have all these baby boomers in line, so Karl might be gone but it won’t get any better, Hedi Slimane is up next and he’s essentially Karl II but worse and after these people in their 50s, then we have the virgils and demnas, who unlike Karl, have brought nothing and will aged crippled by the defensiveness caused by that realisation, enjoy! :lol:

Sh!t! I hadn't thought that far. :lol: Am I ready for the boomers and their relentless entitlement, which will only be magnified with old age? Hell no!
So many of Karl's peers had perished under the Aids crisis and I sometimes wonder if Karl's views would've been more normalised or palatable if they we're still around. Halston and Perry Ellis, for instance, made some pretty messed-up remarks, I feel like that wouldn't change. Just look at Armani, after all. There is of course an octogenarian exception and he actually proves your 'exit' theory correct. Valentino Garavani. He's just a campy yet cultured snob, always has been, and confines his commentary on the more superficial topics. Railing against flip flops when his company sells them, lol, stuff like that.

The interviewer is Philip Utz. So it is definitely not a serious and down-to-earth interview ^_^ .

Always love when those who demand tolerance show none to someone with a contrary opinion or different perspective.

I don't think anyone's saying he doesn't have the right to spew whatever he wants in an interview. He does.

But I do think that it's important to call out ignorant, harmful opinions that people express from a large platform (or really, any platform at all). I think the state of the world right now makes that abundantly clear ... it's not enough to hope the dinosaurs will die out, or that people with dangerous, fringey opinions won't hurt anyone. They have and they will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->