Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

^ He made a comment about Selena Gomez too, on the same Instagram page, in Italian... the comment translates to "She's so ugly".

^ He made a comment about Selena Gomez too, on the same Instagram page, in Italian... the comment translates to "She's so ugly".

God, are you serious?? It's so cringey.
On the Daily Mail article there's a pic of Kate at their 1998 show in that butterfly dress, which was a big trend in 1998. Could that really have been her last show for them?

The Kate comment isn't so bad. The Selena comment, however..

God, are you serious?? It's so cringey.
On the Daily Mail article there's a pic of Kate at their 1998 show in that butterfly dress, which was a big trend in 1998. Could that really have been her last show for them?
The article mentioned that her younger sister walked for them at last year's Christmas fashion show at Harrod's, so they seem to have kept on friendly terms. Personally her look is a No from me too, but many of their recent designs probably wouldn't flatter her, either, so he's got no room to talk.

Personally her look is a No from me too, but many of their recent designs probably wouldn't flatter her, either, so he's got no room to talk.

Oh you're quite right, I also don't like the look. But one would think Stefano would act more within his profile of famed fashion designer. Leave these lazy Insta polls for the Insta trolls. Ha! It rhymes! :lol:

The Kate Moss comment doesn't seem like such a big deal, he's just saying he doesn't like her outfit. The selena gomez one is bad though, since he called her ugly.

Has domenico dolce ever said anything bad/controversial or is it just Stefano gabbana that says all this stuff?

I’m glad this Stefano thing is getting more traction from bigger media outlets, his nasty, bigoted comments should be known by many. Their controversial behavior may not result in less sales now, but it will come back to bite them in the a*s when they least expect it.

The Kate Moss comment doesn't seem like such a big deal, he's just saying he doesn't like her outfit. The selena gomez one is bad though, since he called her ugly.

Has domenico dolce ever said anything bad/controversial or is it just Stefano gabbana that says all this stuff?

I agree with Ben, i do not think the actual comment is the problem, the problem is that someone of his stature is willing to stoop so low to actually making it. It's pathetic and it says a lot about at what stage in his life (and career) he's in, if he thinks that creating drama on social media is a dignified way to spend his time.

^ I guess the stage is called 'middle-aged but not yet ready to graduate from kindergarten.'

Is it sour grapes because relevant faces won't work with them anymore that he now has to pick out insta-kids who are looking for fame to put in their ads and catwalk shows?

The Selena comment annoyed me, because he grew up in an age where technology wasn't so prevalent, now you feel even more pressured to look and act a certain way by bigots like him who pressure our society into looking a certain way - no wonder suicide rates amongst millennials is high because of throw away comments like that, that he is having on someone in their 20's. He's what? 55? he's old enough to be her dad and therefore should act with a level of responsibility in the role WE have allowed him to take, because without his customers he wouldn't be anyone - so sit down Stefano and continue to run your business into the ground.

After all, people also forget D&G also threw their dummy out of the pram with Selfridges (around 2007) and pulled every product category from their shelves (mens, womens, beauty, sunglasses, kids wear - you name it) because Selfridges weren't prepared to give them prominent floor space they demanded for their collections because they weren't selling the figures the likes of McQueen, Stella etc were selling at the time and they no longer collaborate with them.

^ They venture into all sorts of product areas (Dolcefied refrigerators for example ...), so perhaps a Stefano-sized pram could be next!! They could build a whole ad campaign around it. His mamma could wheel him down an Italian avenue with all the other babies ...

I’m glad this Stefano thing is getting more traction from bigger media outlets, his nasty, bigoted comments should be known by many. Their controversial behavior may not result in less sales now, but it will come back to bite them in the a*s when they least expect it.

Do you think?
I don’t think so...
Stefano might be dumb but he is not that dumb to make a comment that will hurt his audience/customers. What he has done so far is share his point of view on various situations/topics.

Don’t forget that the people who are calling for a D&G are the ones who are not buying the brand.
Their clientele is essentially based in countries with rather conservative views and/or doesn’t care about the comments of the designers.

They are independent powerful designers whose antics have made a lot of people angry in the industry but they don’t care because they know their worth.

I don’t count the number of editors they have banned, the number of magazines they have pulled ads from. And they are still there.

They have given the ultimate «*F*** you*» when they started doing the same collections while selling more and more. At this point, except for a Galliano type of comment, they are unbeatable.

Do you think?
I don’t think so...
Stefano might be dumb but he is not that dumb to make a comment that will hurt his audience/customers. What he has done so far is share his point of view on various situations/topics.

You are right Lola, I don’t think it’s hurting his customer base.. yet. But one day these enraged teenagers and 20 somethings will be the main spending group and younger generations aren’t here for these types of brands. The tides will turn eventually.

And I am sorry but a rather famous middle-aged man with a large following and social responsibility calling a young girl with an even larger following “so ugly” on social media is not just sharing a point of view, it is reckless and disgusting to me. I don’t mind the Kate comment because it was about her outfit (which I didn’t necessarily like either), but this Selena thing is on another level, and not just for a “celebrity”. No one should call other people ugly, period.

^^
For me Stefano is more like a troll to be honest. He enjoy the attention and he likes to be hated.
He is a bit like Kanye West in a sense. People will criticize but that will never stop people from buying his clothes.

We sometimes over estimate the power of social media. Dolce & Gabbana is a powerhouse and yes a generation of young people don’t relate to this brand but those people will age and believe me, when you have different responsabilities and status, this is the type of brand you go for.

Look at Armani. He is not a part of any fashion conversation but people (and young people also) respond to his work.

Stefano will get older and his comments will get more and more ridiculous but the legacy of his brand will live on. People will remember the 90’s and early 00´s.

What I hate about this social media culture is how it makes people notice those pointless thing. I’m not interested in a 50 years old man making comments on a young celebrity....

Hugo Boss sewed suits for the Nazis during WW2 and Coco Chanel was an alleged anti-semite. It's fair to say consumers are prepared to disregard a lot of the reprehensible legacies behind fashion's big names and continue to buy their labels. Karl has also made more than his fair share of questionable statements and insults. While i guess it's good that the media is calling Stefano out, consumers have been willing to forgive far worse sins, and i don't see this being any different.

I wonder if Stefano feels that he's sort of untouchable like Karl, in that no matter what he says it'll quickly blow over and not affect him/the brand. There are also enough rich bigots in the world that agree with his opinions to keep d&g afloat. He does seem very entrenched in his beliefs and probably doesn't care that his religious(?)/conservative beliefs will lose some business, kind of like when that one pasta company said they don't want gay couples eating their pasta (they cared more about their beliefs than sales I suppose). But while it's one thing to use your personal convictions to justify your particular set of questionable morals after making some bad comments, why call someone ugly? That's just mean.
I do agree that he's like Kanye and enjoys the attention and maybe picking small fights with people. And that if one is a respected "artist" with a large following, people will try to justify their love for that person despite any awful thing they do. Some of the people in this industry have such personality cults around them that they'd have to do something utterly heinous for people to start hating them.

On side note, I always thought it was amusing that d&g claim to love their country so much yet tried to evade its taxes...I guess their love had a limit

And there was a new York times article about Karl and how he's unchallenged despite all the things he's said in the past, I wanted to post it in a new thread but didn't feel like it, it's an interesting read though

Last edited by a moderator:
Hugo Boss sewed suits for the Nazis during WW2 and Coco Chanel was an alleged anti-semite. It's fair to say consumers are prepared to disregard a lot of the reprehensible legacies behind fashion's big names and continue to buy their labels. Karl has also made more than his fair share of questionable statements and insults. While i guess it's good that the media is calling Stefano out, consumers have been willing to forgive far worse sins, and i don't see this being any different.

Definitely agree. Same goes for Galliano. He's been welcomed back into the fashion world after his incident. I wish it were different with Stefano though because he is such a child on social media and that DG has now become a second-tier brand that is always caught up in some kind of controversy whether it be Stefano or their tax fraud. I'm slightly surprised many models like Karlie Kloss still agree to work for the brand considering her positions on womens empowerment and progressive values etc.

There is also another thing and it's culture.
In the US, UK and maybe Anglo-saxon culture, you have this tendency to make everything political and i guess it's hard from your point of view, to see that the world is not responding the way you are to things (and you would say, "the way they should respond").
It's like the Me Too movement. It had a different impact in Anglo-Saxon countries because of the cultural differences and even if we are all part of the occidental world, it's challenging to understand.

I don't think that we should boycott a company because the founder is making childish comments on IG. Maybe it matters to millenials but for me, it's the work that counts. We sometimes believe that it's either black or white but no. Dolce & Gabbana are gay men who have made unpopular comments in the gay community.

I guess it's better to love someone who thinks like you but what else.

But then, i think the Galliano case, the Lagerfeld case, the Chanel case or even the D&G case are different.

People loves Galliano. That's why we were so willing to forgive him. People loves Karl (and are maybe afraid of losing a front row) and that's why they are willing to forgive him even if i don't think his comments are relevant anyway.
Chanel was saved by Churchill and because it was very taboo in Europe to speak about the war era for a longtime. Then, the Weirthemers are still owners of the brand so it's a tricky situation...

I'm sure a lot of people don't even know who Stefano Gabbana is, what he looks like and above all, doesn't care about his comments on IG. One thing is sure, Stefano can do whatever he wants because he is in Europe, in Italy and because he is his own boss. If it was in the USA, believe me that his publicist would be furious and he would have faced a boycott for a longtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->