Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

It's a good point ... where's the line these days between 'massive jerk' and 'clearly needs treatment, where's the straight jacket'? Seems safe to say it's been blurred ... and social media's not helping :rolleyes: The best thing I can say about Stefano right now is at least he'll never be president. Of this country.

I agree, I was listening to a podcast the other day about Hitler (not that Stefano is Hitler, let's get that straight:lol:) and one of the historian said that with nazism he was trying to create a "new morality", make the unacceptable, the new acceptable. I sometimes feel we are living in similar times, the lines are so blurred, that is becoming more and more difficult to make other people understand that there is such a thing as common decency. That there are lines being crossed.

Please can Dolce & Gabbana disappear from the red carpet now? Good for Welch and Bolden.

zimbio.com

who thought inviting him was a good idea? i wonder how rowan blanchard feels about this as she considers herself a woke teen activist

Oh nah, Miuccia. I've tolerated all the Katie Grand publicity stunt shenanigans as best as I possibly could. But this, nah girl.

Polanski has been around fashion circles for decades now. Don’t believe that the fashion community is going to erase him just because of the Me Too movement. Even more considering the fact that he is married to a Seigner...

For a very long time many people believed the reason the fashion industry was so anti women was because it was run by gay men. Well now that's no longer the case. Between this, Carla Sozzani's very recent fete of Weber's coffee table book, and Kate Moss and Sarajane Hoare's support for Demarchelier & Testino (let's have no two ways about it, they are the ones who encouraged their hiring for that D-list beauty brand), it would appear it's the women who are actually showing a blatant and insensitive degree of IDGAF.

^ Some women are absolutely part of the problem; if they weren't, we'd have this bad boy solved by now. All women (and men) need to check themselves for complicity. Every one of us has influence that matters. The question is, how are you using it?

^^
Maybe it's time for people to stop having high standards for everybody everytime.
I feel like some of you maybe put Miuccia in that piedestal. I also think that every woman has it own definition of feminism and it doesn't necessarly match to what the society expect or view as "right".

@Benn98, i don't know if the fashion industry was really anti-women because as a woman i can tell that there's no one more ruthless to a woman than another woman. I think maybe the fashion industry has a weird space because it's mostly men fantasizing (i don't if it exist) about women and doing something for women BUT, you should be around a circle of women...They are ruthless. Me for example will never criticize a designer as being a misogynist because he is showing sexy women on the runway.

There are a lot more misogynists women out there.

And as i said earlier in this thread, the Testino & Weber cases involves men and it changes the dynamic a lot. Plus, add to that the fact that these men have made friendships in the industry that has been devoid of any sexual tension and there it is. I'm not surprised that they are having people celebrating them..

They are maybe persona non-grata in America where the "calling out" people culture has a real weight in society (and i guess in the UK too) but everywhere else, as long as it is "accusations" for some people it also means nothing.

That's why in this thread i was always a bit weird about the "calling out" people situation because they might lose some contracts right away but that doesn't solve the problem. It's rather superficial...
In two years from now, please believe that Weber, Testino and Demarchelier will comeback.
At first, they will maybe shoot overseas because their names are still prestigious but like the Diet Prada boycott thing, when they will comeback, there will be a "boycott" campaign against them. But it will fall flat because the majority of people buying those brands don't know about those photographers and above don't care about those photographers sexual issues with men.
People don't care about homosexuality or men messing around with men as long as they their eyes and ears closed about it...

I'm not sure whether we'd be able to work around not having high expectations or opinions on someone. It's far too complex. A woman with more than 50 Vogue covers will always have more regard than the one who doesn't.
And I certainly don't put Miuccia on a pedestal personally. She's way too flawed, from what I gather, to deserve one. What does irk me about her is that the message which she sends out doesn't match these shenanigans.

To deem a designer who glorify hypersexual women as women-hating is simply backwards. That's a slippery slope and many have proved that theory wrong over the years. Tom Ford for instance is an excellent example. The woman which exemplifies his brand is consensual and in control at all times. There's a sense of empowerment. Plus over the years, the collections, the interviews, the campaigns, the collaborations, you can sense there's genuinely a relationship an affinity for women. One rooted in reality, not mythical or toxic. Same can be said about Alber, JPG, Marc, Christiano Siriano (even though I don't care for his aesthetic) and many of the old guard. I don't for instance get the same sense from Hedi Slimane. But that may just be me.

And while you do bring up a valid point that outrage culture for most part tend to be superficial, I still think that it can bring change about even in a micro sense. I don't want to bite off far more than I can chew here (it's Monday morning, the weather is gloomy, and I'm trapped in an immaterial yet beautiful Cornish village with deluded and arrogant locals who treat me like I'm a foreigner! :lol:), so I won't get into the disparity between how Europeans are treating persona non grata vs Americans. Hint, I happen to think it may be due to Europe's eery obsession with tradition, but more of than another time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miuccia is a bourgeoise no matter what. People may being fool to believe that she was a punk because she was communist and because it’s written everywhere that she is political but, she is a bourgeoise who wore Saint Laurent Rive Gauche in her youth.
Maybe because I know to much about «*la bourgeoise*» in French society, I don’t have that much expectations from her. She is from Milan which is a bit like Paris and Rome...

What I can say to you is that in France and Maybe in Italy, Woody and Roman’s personal life was never mentioned that much. The medias mentioned their body of work but never their life maybe because of how creepy and complicated it is. So for years, it wasn’t even an issue and I don’t expect it to change suddenly.

There were some demonstrations against Roman lately because of an exhibition for him and because he was supposed to be at Les Cesars and he cancelled.

It did raised the question of should we judge the man or the body of work? And if we judge the man, how are we supposed to behave now, when we are using a past we knew against him in the present?

There’s a whole hypocrisy behind all of this and from all of us(our societies) so, those debates kinda makes me uncomfortable because of that.

I don't accept a concept of overly-high expectations of anyone. I think our whole problem is expectations aren't high enough.

If she's going to pose with a predator, I think she owes us an explanation of why she thinks that's OK.

I cannot really start boycotting the brand as I've never spent a red cent with them to start with.

If she's going to pose with a predator, I think she owes us an explanation of why she thinks that's OK.

You see, this is the thing. She doesn’t owes us anything. She is a grown woman and she made the decision to invite him or at least she approved the decision to invite him at her show, she is posing with him and it shows in the most obvious way that for her, he is a friend or at least someone to whom she has a friendly relationship first.

No matter the explanation you’ll never agree with that because for you, he is a predator first and someone she should be ashamed to pose with.

The fact that you believe that she owes us an explanation for posing with him when the explanation is obvious proves that maybe you put her in a piedestal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"