Interview May 2010 : Madonna by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

This ed is not offensive in the least - except all the oil, that's just a bit much.

that's really "interesting" to read your opinion about this story ...
since I'm missing the racist part of that editorial.

From what I know about black community nightclubs in France, is that the white girls in these clubs are 85% of the time taken for prostitutes and sexual objects ....
so in my eyes, Daria here is having the weakest role ... the role of the sextoy for black men, and the one who's getting all the f*** words and hate from the black woman.

:ninja:

And this clearly describes what I'm seeing in the black community nightclubs: europeans dressed like for Cannes Festival (to put on fire the blacks), Black women dressed like the way they dress in nightclubs in Gabon, Cameroun or such ... short and sexy to bump-it-up and put on fire their boyfriends.

I agree with you; it looked more like she walked into an underground club, loved it, didn't want to leave and got lost in all the fun and heat

REMINDER:

It is possible to state an opinion without making personal statements about members. That shouldn't be happening in this thread or any other for that matter, so lets keep the discussion objective and focused on the editorial.

When there are continuous examples of racial stereotypes about minorities in media, people have a right to be upset. It becomes increasingly annoying because an image that is completely ignorant and rude can become ingrained in someone's mind and therefore they view that entire race to act a that image.

[applause] completely, completely agree!

Daria's ed is so hot! People complain when there are no black people in fashion magazines, then complain when there are too many. It's a fashion shoot. If it were Vogue Paris it wouldn't be an issue at all.

No one is complaining there are too many. Have you read the discussion?

that's really "interesting" to read your opinion about this story ...
since I'm missing the racist part of that editorial.

From what I know about black community nightclubs in France, is that the white girls in these clubs are 85% of the time taken for prostitutes and sexual objects ....
so in my eyes, Daria here is having the weakest role ... the role of the sextoy for black men, and the one who's getting all the f*** words and hate from the black woman.

:ninja:

And this clearly describes what I'm seeing in the black community nightclubs: europeans dressed like for Cannes Festival (to put on fire the blacks), Black women dressed like the way they dress in nightclubs in Gabon, Cameroun or such ... short and sexy to bump-it-up and put on fire their boyfriends.

I agree with you. I think we have to be careful not to be overly sensitive on the minority issue so that nothing is ever good enough. Here, I have to say, that the black women and men look far far hotter than Daria to me - they are cool, refined, slick and urban while she is a trashy call girl. I don't see how anyone can judge this editorial and say that she is the one portrayed in a favourable light.

Daria's ed is so hot! People complain when there are no black people in fashion magazines, then complain when there are too many. It's a fashion shoot. If it were Vogue Paris it wouldn't be an issue at all.

could not agree more! Just last month vogue paris had the terry richardson shoot with eniko putting her hands all over davids naked body... nobody said a peep and you never even got to see his face! If that isnt sexual exploitation of the black male and the stereotypical black male body, then I really dont know what is! Id much rather see a story like this than diddy and natalia's forced chemistry in US vogue...

I agree with you. I think we have to be careful not to be overly sensitive on the minority issue so that nothing is ever good enough. Here, I have to say, that the black women and men look far far hotter than Daria to me - they are cool, refined, slick and urban while she is a trashy call girl. I don't see how anyone can judge this editorial and say that she is the one portrayed in a favourable light.
^I agree as well.

No matter what the thoughts behind the shoot are, the outcome looks very good.

ps. Since discussion on weight, drugs, politics and age are banned on this forum, I think it's only appropriate for discussions on race/discrimination to be banned as well.

^I agree as well.

No matter what the thoughts behind the shoot are, the outcome looks very good.

ps. Since discussion on weight, drugs, politics and age are banned on this forum, I think it's only appropriate for discussions on race/discrimination to be banned as well.

In this case, it's a natural discussion considering the nature of the editorial. Not allowing discussion about the editorial content would limit the discussion too much. But we still have to remain polite about it...

I don't think the editorial is that great to be honest. But after looking more at the detail and stopping to focus on the famous person (Daria) I realize it's actually rather interesting.

could not agree more! Just last month vogue paris had the terry richardson shoot with eniko putting her hands all over davids naked body... nobody said a peep and you never even got to see his face! If that isnt sexual exploitation of the black male and the stereotypical black male body, then I really dont know what is! Id much rather see a story like this than diddy and natalia's forced chemistry in US vogue...

I don't really understand how depicting a biracial couple can be as offense as using black people as background props to Daria.

I think if they had casted someone not as well known as Daria then this discussion wouldn't be happening right now.

These two editorials are vastly different. The male model in Vogue Paris' wasn't dressed down, he was as naked as Eniko and touching her as much as she touched him. You could barely see Eniko's face as well. The focus was on the contrast of their skin color, not him being treated lesser than her or like her sex object. And then you bring up the Natalia and Diddy editorial? Don't lump all editorials with black models together.

Last edited by a moderator:

its the fact that the 'black' models are being used a gloomy background to further highlight daria. vogue paris or not- there would be an issue. just like it was an issue when lara stone was painted black.

I don't really understand how depicting a biracial couple can be as offense as using black people as background props to Daria.

I think if they had casted someone not as well known as Daria then this discussion wouldn't be happening right now.

if it were anyone else, the discussion would still be happening. its not an issue of bi-racial coupling- its an issue of using black models as props. there is a feeling of dehumanization. color is not being equalized, both are not being individualized- one is visually projected as higher or better.

^ I understand that Jeremy. I was trying to explain to NikkiBBgurl that the Vogue Paris edtorial with Eniko doesn't really compared to this one with Daria.

*edit: I just wanted to clarify myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I understand that Jeremy. I was trying to explain to NikkiBBgurl that the Vogue Paris edtorial with Eniko doesn't really compared to this one with Daria.

*edit: I just wanted to clarify myself.

oh, okay.
- yeah, i agree with that point. :flower:

Noone knows except the stylist/photographer/models what the real inspiration was for this editorial. In my eyes, I don't think the black models were being used as background props but then again, everyone has a different opinion. Time will tell though, because as much controversy is surrounding this, I'm sure someone from Interview will make a statement.

Well, see, that's what this is all about - the P Diddy and Natalia editorial was not offensive because it was politically incorrect. However, it was offensive because it was forced and unappealing - there was a lack of chemistry. It's not about what is offensive - it's about what looks good, what works, what images stop you from flipping on to the next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->