Interview May 2010 : Madonna by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

can someone name all the models here because i need to know..THX in advance

^ I kindly suggest going to the source, run the mediaplayer and at the last shot (10) you have a detailed description of all the cast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect more from Interview than some stereotypical, white person enters into strange and exotic world of brown people editorial. Unless they reveal some secret hidden layer of meaning in the next few days I'm going to go with Fiercification, who summed up many of my feelings surrounding this editorial with eloquence.

I expect more from Interview than some stereotypical, white person enters into strange and exotic world of brown people editorial. Unless they reveal some secret hidden layer of meaning in the next few days I'm going to go with Fiercification, who summed up many of my feelings surrounding this editorial with eloquence.

completely agree; its almost as if they were used as props.

I can't believe that the editorial team got away with a story that overtly exposes and even promotes such racist stereotypes. The one time they chose to cast an amazing variety of black models they had to play with a tired concept; the only reason why they are honestly here in this story is to play up the stereotype of black people as anonymous, sexual, savage beings who here play back up dancer to Daria (the white person)...not for the real reasons that they should be there, because they are buzz worthy and up and coming.

Just look at the way Daria is lit and being handled by the male models, and compare the styling of her high-end, colourful pieces with Ajak's bikini for example. There is a clear isolation between her and the other models. If they had had an Asian model like Liu or Lakshmi casted it might've softened the aesthetic tensions...but the connotations would still be very explicit even if the editorial featured all black models. I don't really know who to blame for going along with this...I think that Jansson and Michelle Lee are certainly to blame for not stopping to think about how redundant and offensive this was going to appear, but in particular Baron.

Interview is not Vogue...it's not a magazine that has always subliminally only catered to those white upper class consumers who are typically as the target customers of designer clothing. The editorial team have always promoted a variety of talent from different backgrounds, races, sexual orientations and class. Which is why I'm baffled they of all people would come up with something as backward as this. Maybe it's meant to be ironic, but there's certainly nothing pointing to any social critique in the photos.

preach! preach! preach! completely agree!!

the model cast from "Letss Get Lost" by MIKAEL JANSSON include:
Oraine Barrett
Daria Werbowy
Raschelle Osbourne
Sebene Blake
David Agbodji
Salieu Jalloh
Armando Cabral
Adesuwa Aigheni
Carmelita Mendes
Manuel Ramos
Kelly Moreira
Rafton Glean
Peter Giang
Dorian Cobb
Lisalla Montenegro
Pablo Contreras
Ajak Deng

I really like Daria's editorial. It's very sexy, but I do think that they should have shed more light on the other models.

this is a must buy,because of Madonna!love her ed so much,so powerful,so sexy,so fabolous,so Madonna!:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Daria is delivering like the rent is due tomorrow in her edit. She continues to impress me more and more.
Personally I would actually pick up this issue, it's very strong. But the paper quality lets it down dramatically.

i don't really see the point in including Daria in this ed but hey this is the most black folks ever in one fashion mag...omgg hide your children!:rolleyes:

I can't believe that the editorial team got away with a story that overtly exposes and even promotes such racist stereotypes. The one time they chose to cast an amazing variety of black models they had to play with a tired concept; the only reason why they are honestly here in this story is to play up the stereotype of black people as anonymous, sexual, savage beings who here play back up dancer to Daria (the white person)...not for the real reasons that they should be there, because they are buzz worthy and up and coming.

Just look at the way Daria is lit and being handled by the male models, and compare the styling of her high-end, colourful pieces with Ajak's bikini for example. There is a clear isolation between her and the other models. If they had had an Asian model like Liu or Lakshmi casted it might've softened the aesthetic tensions...but the connotations would still be very explicit even if the editorial featured all black models. I don't really know who to blame for going along with this...I think that Jansson and Michelle Lee are certainly to blame for not stopping to think about how redundant and offensive this was going to appear, but in particular Baron.

Interview is not Vogue...it's not a magazine that has always subliminally only catered to those white upper class consumers who are typically as the target customers of designer clothing. The editorial team have always promoted a variety of talent from different backgrounds, races, sexual orientations and class. Which is why I'm baffled they of all people would come up with something as backward as this. Maybe it's meant to be ironic, but there's certainly nothing pointing to any social critique in the photos.

I highly doubt that any of this was intentional! Baron and team always have the besttt taste and the editorial is obviously gorgeous! Everyone looks so beautiful, and daria is only the focus because she is a supermodel! not because shes white. people need to get over it.

What, did they accidentally cast all the black models in rags tied around their heads and wearing skimpy "tribal-inspired" clothes in muted, earthy colors and Daria in bright, sleek looks? It's certainly a beautiful editorial but there's a specific theme going on - White Girl gets down with the jungle ghetto!

I think theres certainly an element of fear in people who look at this and feel uncomfortable that they like it or feel that its socially unacceptable to like it. I think its so typical for people to make a mountain out of a molehill with this sort of thing. Reminds me of early Soul II Soul and even marvin gaye. Theres an exoticism to it all but I never look at this and think that the black men and women are an accessory to Daria as they are just as much shining in the own right. All of the images depict an ease and comfort between all the subjects and no one is depicted in the typical stereotype of aggression. The entire thing feels like a late night at a club in paris. As a black male, my first response was that I need to hit the gym, not of offense!

I highly doubt that any of this was intentional! Baron and team always have the besttt taste and the editorial is obviously gorgeous! Everyone looks so beautiful, and daria is only the focus because she is a supermodel! not because shes white. people need to get over it.

When there are continuous examples of racial stereotypes about minorities in media, people have a right to be upset. It becomes increasingly annoying because an image that is completely ignorant and rude can become ingrained in someone's mind and therefore they view that entire race to act a that image.

Daria with her legs spread, head tilted to the side, open mouth, looking dead among brown people looking bored. What a lazy concept!
Next!

This is what magazines are supposed to do: PROVOKE! This is ed is sexy, everyone looks flawless, and I think Daria pulls it off better than anyone else could. Soooo major. I love everything this ed!!!

Just look at the way Daria is lit and being handled by the male models, and compare the styling of her high-end, colourful pieces with Ajak's bikini for example. There is a clear isolation between her and the other models.

that's really "interesting" to read your opinion about this story ...
since I'm missing the racist part of that editorial.

From what I know about black community nightclubs in France, is that the white girls in these clubs are 85% of the time taken for prostitutes and sexual objects ....
so in my eyes, Daria here is having the weakest role ... the role of the sextoy for black men, and the one who's getting all the f*** words and hate from the black woman.

:ninja:

And this clearly describes what I'm seeing in the black community nightclubs: europeans dressed like for Cannes Festival (to put on fire the blacks), Black women dressed like the way they dress in nightclubs in Gabon, Cameroun or such ... short and sexy to bump-it-up and put on fire their boyfriends.

The ed is tasteless. I do not know if there is racist undertones to it. But I certainly would not buy a mag that thinks that in their concept of sexy still includes the white posh girl getting down with the brown people. I thought we were beyond that by now. This ed is as sexy as coach trip to visit your granny.

And I absolutely adore Daria, but God not in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->