Marc Jacobs F/W 2006.07 New York

i like the heels on the shoes, funky! but over all a bit dodgy:P! lol

Bidwell, that is the most pretentious piece of crap I ever heard. And by crap I mean the Marc Jacobs collection. I think what happened here is that Marc was a bit tired, so he had his Chinese communist workers design his collection for him. A tour de force of pure laziness.

I think some of the peices are wearble..its all about how to wear it..i dont think anyone can pull off a whole outfit look straight from the runway but thats the whole point were creativity comes in place..the styling is a bit much but it was a fashion show so if i were watching this live i would of loved it!!...its SO not the best of MJ though but its different..kinda...

how long did Marc struggle and how hard did Marc work to get what he has now? He persisted and didn't change himself to gain success. i am also sure that there must be reasons for some designers to be successful and some not. If I were a truggling artist, I would spend more time working and wait for my moment, and learn how and why some other artists are more successful. I would take other people in a positive way and learn from them, not being so negative and trying to convince myself that the successful ones don't deserve it and I do.:flower:

Fashion is not fine art, and the forms are limited by human's body, so there are just so many ideas you can play with. Even in architecture design, you can spot "copies" here and there, but complaining is not the right way to go. Here is why: there are just so many elements to use, and if one element is right for one product, then you can use it.

Richard Mier used white bricks in his work (and it is his signature look, btw), but it doesn't mean he patterned it and other architects are not allowed to use it. I read and studied Zaha Hadid's work, and I designed something inspired by what I saw in the past two years, but it doesn't mean that I copied her because everything melted together already.

Vera Wang made a similar necklace as Marc did in one of the past seasons, and her stylist insisted not to show it on runway, but even Vera Wang had no idea that Marc made the same thing. Do they need an "anti-copy" committee or something? No. :lol:

Zazie said:
2nd that! There is a great difference between just tying stuff round the waist/hip and translating that comforting gesture into a concept for a skirt. I'm not sure if Rei or Yohji did it before, but I haven't seen that till ASB did her version. MJ's version is almost copy for copy, except he used leather, which is crazy as leather is bulky and doesn't tie well.

Please, people, don't get personal...unless you are MJ himself or some proxy. We are not trying to "show off" fashion history or knowledge, the main issue is how relevant.

First of all, nothing wrong with being knowledgeable or having a good memory for designs that made an impression. Those who take fashion seriously probably even accumulate their own treasured archives. I am awed by tfsers because many of them can simply post stuff from 10, 20 years ago, before the internet, hell, before they were born, just look at some of those threads. How many fashion editors/journalists do that? I respect and kowtow to knowledge, be it fashion, history, science, art or literature.

2nd, it is only doing justice to other designers to acknowledge their originality and contribution. I'd hate for something I thought up or invented duplicated and quietly "becoming" the genius of another person, especially when I'm a struggling artist and the other a huge money-churning machine.

3rd, a little post like mine will not make the slightest dent in the sales of MJ's clothes. So, don't worry. It's not going to stop his fans from splurging. But at least ASB or other designers are owed some acknowledgement.

4th, If I was wrong and MJ indeed designed a built-in sleeves skirt exactly like that before ASB, I'd love to see the old pictures and be happy to be corrected. It is also good to correct my own and others' misconceptions about MJ. This is what makes a good fashion forum, not be afraid to talk about the designs beyond "I love/hate it" and not to be swayed by editorials.

Peace.:flower:

I think this collection is the worst Marc has ever done.

Honestly,Caffeine,he didn't have to try too hard to get where he is now. Remember he's been pretty popular since the very early 90's when he won that Perry Ellis award. Then he gets LV and turns a different leaf away from his former sportswear aesthetic into something a bit more gimmicky and trend-worthy. It's not that hard to get hyped up in this business either.

But Marc has done this so much in the last years,copying. Seems since his label has grown in business as well as his ego. One clear incident I remember is when he ever-so-blatantly ripped off Walter Van Beirendonck's "æstheticterrorists" signature mask for his Marc line. S/S 04,if I am not mistaken(that's if you want evidence :wink: ). And this the kind of slimy dishonesty you defend? He gave absolutely no credit to Walter and it all went without notice from the press...but there was alot of us watchers who immediately did. '

And you know,it isn't just the copying that pisses me off,personally,it's that dishonesty of which it entails.

Caffeine said:
Vera Wang made a similar necklace as Marc did in one of the past seasons, and her stylist insisted not to show it on runway, but even Vera Wang had no idea that Marc made the same thing. Do they need an "anti-copy" committee or something? No. :lol:

there IS an anti copy commitee of one...
and her name is lori goldstein...the STYLIST...
she spotted the copy and nixed it from the show...
:D...
*some people have been saying that vera's whole collection is nothing but copies..:ermm:...

making comparisons is natural...
getting angry about it is pointless...imho...

fox in the snow..
i don't hate or love any particular designers overall...
i take each collection and each garment as it comes...'
because no one gets it right all the time...
i think if one just blindly follows a designer regardless of how the clothes look each season...
then they become fashion victims..
*but i see far less of that these days...
people seem to be picking and choosing what they like from each collection regardless of who the designer is...
which i think is great and fully support...

oh well- i didn't think the mk comparison was an insult...
and i was the first one to bring it up...
i just thought it was pretty obvious...so i mentioned it...

fox in the snow...
i think you must be remembering some posts of mine from about 2 years ago
i have actually really liked mj for the past couple of seasons...
ever since he started to explore the dark side with that louis vuitton collection of his...the one with the snow on the runway...
so for about 2 years now i've been liking it more...
though i tend to like spring less than fall...
what is in stores now is pretty nice...

i actually even liked the collection last fall that everyone had so many issues with ...

B)

Caffeine said:
how long did Marc struggle and how hard did Marc work to get what he has now? He persisted and didn't change himself to gain success. i am also sure that there must be reasons for some designers to be successful and some not. If I were a truggling artist, I would spend more time working and wait for my moment, and learn how and why some other artists are more successful. I would take other people in a positive way and learn from them, not being so negative and trying to convince myself that the successful ones don't deserve it and I do.:flower:

Fashion is not fine art, and the forms are limited by human's body, so there are just so many ideas you can play with. Even in architecture design, you can spot "copies" here and there, but complaining is not the right way to go. Here is why: there are just so many elements to use, and if one element is right for one product, then you can use it.

Caffeine, I think you're right. Marc went out of business several times before he was 25, had a con artist investor at one point, vendor issues, and endless travails. I'm sure many people have been driven from the fashion industry by less. Perhaps one factor (in addition to his own determination and the fact that, gosh darn it, people like him :wink:) may be that he's had unfailing support from Robert Duffy.

fashionista-ta said:
Caffeine, I think you're right. Marc went out of business several times before he was 25, had a con artist investor at one point, vendor issues, and endless travails. I'm sure many people have been driven from the fashion industry by less. Perhaps one factor (in addition to his own determination and the fact that, gosh darn it, people like him :wink:) may be that he's had unfailing support from Robert Duffy.

Thanks, Ta-ta. Yes Robert Duffy was always very supportive on their business. At one point, he sold his property to support Marc. It was very impressive to me compared with lots of other businessmen+designer relationships (even personal relationships).

I like Marc Jacobs as a person and a designer. I am not always a huge fan of his designs (a big fan of last fall collection but I could rarely wear anything from it, not liking the spring collection; and would like to see the trunk show for this collection). But he persists in what he is doing, and I respect it very much. I feel personally connected with his collections and his looks and they are almost in the same mood as some stuff I designed before. From that perspective, I love him.

lcc123 said:
i had no idea he went out of business

this dude went through difficult situations for many times, but he survived and thrived :flower:
Nowadays, many young artists hope to get famous and successful badly, but they just don't try hard enough or not being patient enough. Many designers went through difficult times, but sadly people normally only look at the glamourous part of their lives.

Scott said:
Honestly,Caffeine,he didn't have to try too hard to get where he is now. Remember he's been pretty popular since the very early 90's when he won that Perry Ellis award. Then he gets LV and turns a different leaf away from his former sportswear aesthetic into something a bit more gimmicky and trend-worthy. It's not that hard to get hyped up in this business either.

But Marc has done this so much in the last years,copying. Seems since his label has grown in business as well as his ego. One clear incident I remember is when he ever-so-blatantly ripped off Walter Van Beirendonck's "æstheticterrorists" signature mask for his Marc line. S/S 04,if I am not mistaken(that's if you want evidence :wink: ). And this the kind of slimy dishonesty you defend? He gave absolutely no credit to Walter and it all went without notice from the press...but there was alot of us watchers who immediately did. '

And you know,it isn't just the copying that pisses me off,personally,it's that dishonesty of which it entails.

Scott, if you care, I suggest you reading some articles/books about him first. This guy went through drug problems and financial problems, and it's not as easy as you thought.

^ his drug problem was taking the best of him..i read about it..
there was this one comment about him in the article..something like "he's not just cool, he's so 'f*****g cool!'"

i don't know whether that's true or not, according to some tfsers he can be a pain to work with...

on a fashion note....
i'd just like to mention that you are very lucky to have trunk shows so there and available, it is nyc after all...holt renfrew hardly has any and it's a pity, i think it would do them good...the best i got to one was randomly walking in on christian louboutin in the shoe section...apparently he was signing the women's purchases, holt's idea of a promotion....:lol:

oh im loving as always marc jacobs...i admire the way he always transformed the collections ..its camaleonic lol

Quote from Junglefreak:
Bidwell, that is the most pretentious piece of crap I ever heard. And by crap I mean the Marc Jacobs collection. I think what happened here is that Marc was a bit tired, so he had his Chinese communist workers design his collection for him. A tour de force of pure laziness.

Dear Junglefreak, so sorry to have offended you with my pretentious comments (although it not being my collection, I fail to see how that comment applies to me). I was simply stating my opinion which is what the forum is about, no?
The work certainly isn't pretty but neither were the early japanese designers (one of his aforementioned inspirations). The work is however, luxurious in quality but with a casualness that negates it, a bit like Rick Owens work.
Or perhaps not. It is only, after all, my own small opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->