The Most Overrated Designers...

I'm gonna say Miuccia Prada. I really wonder how much of her success was due to the people around her. I know she knows how to look good, and of course she could be great at being the head and final say of creative decisions and editing, but I really do wonder...
I agree that Pavesi played a huge role in the construction of Prada but she is quite great herself. Miuccia is an interesting designer because it’s her taste that informed her success and not a particular design language. It’s really about a taste of a woman. Manuela Pavesi played a huge part gathering talents and push the taste even further.

I wouldn’t call her overrated because I think fashion owes her a lot in terms of taste.

However, I do think replacing her by Raf was a terrible idea. Prada is quite above all, an Italian POV and Raf seems to be quite into himself to really immerse himself into the culture in a way that Karl or even Christopher Kane did.

^ Miuccia Prada hired Raf for the CO-CD position, which says a lot about her vision and taste, lol. I don't understand why she gets more praise than people like Rei Kawakubo, Azzedine, Giorgio, Castiglioni,...
Come’on, Azzedine was seen in very high regards! Rey and Giorgio are legends.
Castiglioni is different because it was very much seen (for obvious reason) as a by-product of Prada.

And Azzedine respected Prada a lot! They had a mutual respect. That’s why when Carla Sozzani asked Miuccia to help Azzedine, her and Bertelli agreed. Samuele Failli, who build the identity of Alaia footwear and who designed some of the most iconic shoes for Prada and MiuMiu worked alongside Fabio Z for the success of Alaia.

While i actually like Miuccia as a person and her works ( a big credit to Mr Fabio too ), i really hate how the label has became for years. Patrizio Bertelli/Miuccia Prada is hands down the worst duo in fashion industry, it's the whole Prada Group itself makes me lose the love for Miuccia, she should have stepped down years ago imo.

miuccia prada deserves very little praise for anything

david-stern-drink.gif

Tenor.com

TFS, you disappoint me. Miuccia Prada in this thread but no JW Anderson? Anderson is the king of this thread!

Jonathan is like one of those aristocrats that had impeccable taste, knew everything about art, them tried to do it themselves and they couldn't produce anything but reductive, poor or even monstrous simulacrums of their favorite artist's artworks. He's the eternal dilettante of fashion design. His collections are all riffs on other people's works but the interpretation is always literal, his eye only see surface or the impirical features of a piece. He don't have that oracular sense of seeing the essence of somebody's work. Karl did that with Chanel, imo.

If you want proof of what I said, just look at his instagram. Full of cool references, sofisticate taste but no MEAT.

I think his sucess is greatly attributed to the english fashion establishment need of a new golden boy. And Jonathan was perfect. Not tortured or polemical like Mcqueen or Galliano. He is pure good taste. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->