the Fashion Spot in the News ... Clippings, Snippets & Mentions

Discussion in 'In the News...' started by BetteT, Nov 2, 2010.

1. HeatherAnne

HeatherAnne Well-Known Member

Bullies? It's a discussion forum, not a fan board.

But yes, disgusted to see the board associated with the always negative and repulsive Daily Fail.

2. Pricciao

Pricciao Well-Known Member

It's good though, tfs lost a lot of traffics these months, negative campaigning can help some.

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

'The make-up doesn't suit her... needs someone with cheekbones!!'

:lol:. Oh Gossiping.

4. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Well-Known Member

that was just lazy "journalism" (and I'm being charitable here...anyone else spot some non-proofreading parts in that thing?). There are plenty of other boards where KJ is dragged through the mud. Someone just decided they'd source it from tfs and use a clearly obvious thread to pick. Her own model ID thread shows more varied opinion and some of them, now get ready to clutch your pearls, are supportive. it was bad writing and unfortunately linked tfs with it.

5. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

This quote--cropped as I recall through the 'but' and with no ellipsis!--appears in print on the US Elle Daisy Ridley cover feedback page, credited to tigerrouge on TheFashionSpot.com.

6. BetteT

BetteT Mod Squad Team Leader

Susie Lau (Blogger Susie Bubble) interviewed by Vogue. She's still here ... and paying attention member's comments about the shows!

Source: vogue.com
    Read the entire interview, here: http://www.vogue.com/13459706/future-of-fashion-shows-susie-lau/

7. fashionista-ta

^ Interesting. I think she's right that on tFS there's a lot of "looking for faults," and personally I'm not too crazy about that. However, there's a huge audience here for the live feed. Video's not perfect either, especially if it's not smooth, but it shows how the clothes move. A lot of comments here are based on the video.

One thing I've noticed is that if you just look at the posted images in the thread rather than the entire show, that edit can really make a difference in the opinion you come away with--for better or worse, depending on the edit.

I remember comments here from someone who'd been at a Marc Jacobs show that I thought was one of his poorer collections, but apparently the excitement had been electric, and he came away with a great impression of the collection. I think the live buzz can also lead to an inaccurate impression of the clothes themselves.

8. perhydrol

perhydrol Well-Known Member

^That's true, but on the other hand I feel like this 'looking for faults' comes from the übersweetness of the press. If the reviews were honest, we wouldn't be as demanding and harsh as we are now. Now TFS is like that kind of things that can keep you in touch with reality. I really blame the journalists, they're mainly too scared to write some true opinions because they won't get an invitation or something like that. Here we have nothing to lose.

9. fashionista-ta

^ Agreed, there are really pretty much two honest (professional) reviewers in the entire fashion world. I think the discussion degrades from honesty to negativity pretty often though.

10. HeatherAnne

HeatherAnne Well-Known Member

Susie wouldn't even be at these shows if it weren't for the fashion spot, pretty funny.

Amen.

I've been a member long enough to remember Susie's honest feedback when she posted here, and now her a$$ kissing/clear bias since she's become friends with designers -- A lot of tFSers have called her on it, especially last season when it clearly got worse, and perhaps this is her way of snipping back.

And piss off Susie, even journalists hate on collections. If Horyn ever gave Slimane a good review I'd drop dead. -- With HQ videos and pictures sitting 15th row at a fashion show where models zip down a runway can't help you experience the clothes that much more.

11. perhydrol

perhydrol Well-Known Member

^You know, after the show she (or anybody else) can post somewhere in the internet 'Oh, I was @that show, so cool' (which means 'now I'm too posh for front-on pics because I have tons of crappy insta pics'). Who cares if they were sitting 20th row. It's that fake attitude and I wouldn't have any problem with that, but imo she said that TFS is irrelevant because we can't see the clothes irl. That's the problem, it's like ignoring any opinion just because it's not positive and looking for any reason just to show that we shouldn't review anything because we don't have enough knowledge.

12. BetteT

Some of you may be misinterpreting what she said ... at least whoWhatWear thinks it's much more positive than that. She was quoted by them and they checked her blog and found more info that Susie had posted about tFS: http://www.whowhatwear.com/best-fashion-show-reviews-the-fashion-spot

Looks like they see her comment as being positive towards our opinions ...

13. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't understand her comment as putting down tFS.

I think what she says is true.. for the most part. In the same way a picture in average quality won't do artwork enough justice even when it's flat and it only calls for front view (meaning there are no back shots..). That type of touch-and-feel store and showroom intimacy, however, doesn't get particularly better in the format in which fashion presents collections either, in a 13-minute show of passing models instead of, say, a bi-annual fair.

What does conflict in a much larger scale in the accuracy of a collection is what she's kind of talking about, fishing for good because you attended or interests might be compromised. That type of pollution in commentary and journalism is far more problematic than people using online material as a source of information. Instead of misinterpreting a piece that might be completely different in real life, it manipulates it into something that accommodates the professional ambition, business interests, servility, gratitude (for having been invited!) or momentary excitement (for having been invited too) of the person reporting.

That has proved to be far more damaging in the long run than the few outlets for people to express constructive and destructive criticism. Fashion these days allows minimal questioning, less so than it did only 10-15 years ago, not just limited to design itself, but the concepts in which design is sold (shows, campaigns, stories), the people making it, the messages about society that it sends out irresponsibly on a regular basis. Journalists operate as just society column type of reporters, and the amount of bloggers, usually less anchored to corporation expectations, are more interested in dressing up and getting their image around and describing how exciting it all was just to renew access and privilege.

Personally, I don't really remember her posts here.. I remember seeing her lurk around but she primarily posted in the WAYWT thread. The only time I didn't have time for tFS (so much I remember it lol) was from late 2005 to mid 2006... when I came back, we had some pretty large and odd crowds either into thinspiration or posting their mirror reflection and complimenting others' outfits. She was in the latter. I never really saw much of her (or anyone else that came primarily to promote themselves in these platforms) in discussions. I'm sure tFS was of great help but I still wonder about the other way around... since we eventually turned this private and close these two "temples" (weight and WAYWT)... :rolleyes:

#153 MulletProof, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited by moderator Aviar: Jul 22, 2016
  14. BetteT

Last spring ... just found it now:

From the Business of Fashion
    //www.businessoffashion.com/community/voices/discussions/why-isnt-the-fashion-industry-more-diverse/between-the-catwalk-and-the-consumer-fashions-growing-diversity-gap-2:

15. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

16. Fashionstuff

Fashionstuff http://fashionworldstuff.

BoF about tFS

Business of Fashion writes about tFS Forum!

Source : businessoffashion.com

17. BetteT

Thanks for posting this. ^

Author is SUSANNA LAU ... AKA Susie Bubble, blogger, journalist and tFSer (although we don't see her around much any more, since she's a very busy person)!

Thank you Susie!!

#157 BetteT, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited by moderator Natasa: Sep 29, 2016
  18. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

faust4life :lol: :heart: .. I still think he's been one of the biggest contributors to this place and really set the bar for many of us.. it's been 10 years but I still miss his posts around here. What he mentions about coming here and finding people with similar interests and well-informed ideas about it was even bigger for teenagers like myself, I don't think that actually impacted me so much (having been in other geeky forums and taking that for granted as a teenager) as much as it did seeing people like him question things so fiercely and openly and enforcing the idea of integrity in design, which in an industry that relies strongly on things like desire and status, it's so easy to turn that secondary. He found like-minded people but for those that were just kids really, it was a bit like going to school.

I tried to love SZ but that didn't work out so well.. HATED the people it attracted. Still happy to see its growth far beyond a forum while still retaining its essence and foundation. I wish tFS had headed that way, but I also like that the lack of strict philosophies here keep this place more diverse (dumb/model-loving posts and all). What's important is that there are options for everyone 10 years later and it's still a less compromised outlet, which is so needed on the internet. I don't really think it's because of anonymity, I think its format (being removed from a dynamic of professional gratitude + having to exercise critical thinking) triggers that.. it's the way people interact and the way it's technically designed.. room for a bunch of words plus some images.. not the other way around.

19. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

It's funny, even having been a member here for something like a dozen years, it still never fails to surprise me when I'm faced with proof that the thoughts and opinions we all share on here resonate beyond these pages. Not that I don't think there are plenty of members who have very valid, very clever and very insightful things to say, and not that some of the discussions aren't fun and entertaining, but I guess I take for granted that the things we all talk endlessly about (for no reason other than pure enjoyment) should matter to anybody but ourselves and occasionally the people we interact with on the forum.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that Fashionstuff! It was definitely a great read.

20. lucy92

lucy92 Mod Squad Team Leader

mentioned in the guardian today in a news story about fonts