Top models fading out in SS08

Solange Wilvert. On every runway for years. Hardly anywhere of importance this season.

On her way out?

^I hope not she's only about 19. Then again Heather Marks and Gemma Ward are 19 and they're on their way out.

Gemma Ward and Heather marks shouldn't be compared.

Gemma's status in the fashion world is completely different from Heather's. She has reached a status that only Daria is equal to (I'm doing comparisons only from the 2003 point of view). Even if she's 'out' as you say, she will still haul her share of campaigns because she is Gemma Ward.

You can't say the same for Heather Marks. Honestly, this isn't something against Heather. If some of my other favourites were to skip out on show seasons, they wouldn't get their share of campaigns either.

Heather isn't my favourite, and you're right they can't be compared, but what I mean even Gemma has to clear the way for the new girls. If anything I want a supermodel to come back into worldwide recognition (even gemma hasn't done that), but this will never happen if girl's careers are over at the age of 19. It's obvious how much further Gemma has gone than Heather, I just think it's sad that they're spat out by the industry at the age of 19, I know Gemma's is volountray but Solange and Heather worked for years to get where they are and they still couldn't make it past 19, working only 3-4 years, I hope we wont be saying this about girls like irina and Anabella when they are 19.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raquel will never fade out, will she?? I see her in the major shows every season
unsure.gif

I think I've said this before somewhere, but Raquel has been around longer than God, so I doubt she'll fade anytime soon. Same for Mariacarla.

And I agree with everyone saying Freja is fading out. I think that haircut really hurt her. And the fact that she wasn't at Chanel only proves it.

^It saddens me so much that Freja is fading. But I think she skipped Chanel, because:
1) or she went back home
2)or she had something to shoot.
Karl used her for Karl Lagerfeld, she didn't do any of her normal shows, so I think those two are two logical reasons.

I've read through the thread and I think some of us are confusing the idea of 'fading out'

For instance. Daria and Gemma should not be in the category of fading out just because they decide to skip shows. It's their decision. If Daria or Malgosia or even Hilary should choose to come back and do the shows, they would be right up there walking all the big shows. Girls like them should not be in the category of 'fading out', they will always had more than a fair share of campaigns whether they do shows or not. They have reached a certain status, their reputation has been cemented.

The category we should be looking at would be girls who still do shows but aren't casted for the top shows. These could include girls like Heather Marks (who once walked every big show imaginable but now sticks to B-list runways. Heather fans, please don't kill me. You know it's true), Tiuu, maybe even Elise or Morgane Dubled.

I've heard Julia mentioned a couple of times. I am no fan of her's but although her shows have been spare, the ones she did do are all A-list (Anna Sui, Dolce, Etro, Cavalli, etc). This once again refers back to my point that girls who have the choice to do only the big shows are not the ones fading out. They're models can afford to take time off. Quality > Quantity.

^This is "fading out in ss08" so regardless as to whether this fading out is their choice or not, the fact that they weren't there means they have faded (at least for this season)- Now if we were talking about the "Models who disappeared" thread then names like Rihanne Ten Haken belong there, they may be big, but new girls are moving in, Models like Raquel and Natasha are right up there with Elise and Freja but they didn't "fade". Also "Fade" doesn't mean disappear so it's approprieate to say that Catherine McNeil and Freja are fading, considering how much hype is around them and seasons they had previously, but this doesn't mean they have disappeared or finished, it just means that in ss08 their star has waned.

Heather isn't my favourite, and you're right they can't be compared, but what I mean even Gemma has to clear the way for the new girls. If anything I want a supermodel to come back into worldwide recognition (even gemma hasn't done that), but this will never happen if girl's careers are over at the age of 19. It's obvious how much further Gemma has gone than Heather, I just think it's sad that they're spat out by the industry at the age of 19, I know Gemma's is volountray but Solange and Heather worked for years to get where they are and they still couldn't make it past 19, working only 3-4 years, I hope we wont be saying this about girls like irina and Anabella when they are 19.
Gemma will never reach Giseles status because her appeal is very limited.

A friend with no interest in fashion :innocent:

Her: 'eww why do you like her? shes ugly'

Me: 'shes unique , i lvoe unique looking models , shes unique in a good way '

her: 'you mean unique in an ugly way'

valentina probably doesn't need to do any more shows except ralph lauren. she has like a six figure contract with the brand, i think.
:innocent:Valentina is rich already :lol: She could be in VS and have cosmetic contracts if she let that ralph contract go :P

I've read through the thread and I think some of us are confusing the idea of 'fading out'

For instance. Daria and Gemma should not be in the category of fading out just because they decide to skip shows. It's their decision. If Daria or Malgosia or even Hilary should choose to come back and do the shows, they would be right up there walking all the big shows. Girls like them should not be in the category of 'fading out', they will always had more than a fair share of campaigns whether they do shows or not. They have reached a certain status, their reputation has been cemented.

The category we should be looking at would be girls who still do shows but aren't casted for the top shows. These could include girls like Heather Marks (who once walked every big show imaginable but now sticks to B-list runways. Heather fans, please don't kill me. You know it's true), Tiuu, maybe even Elise or Morgane Dubled.

I've heard Julia mentioned a couple of times. I am no fan of her's but although her shows have been spare, the ones she did do are all A-list (Anna Sui, Dolce, Etro, Cavalli, etc). This once again refers back to my point that girls who have the choice to do only the big shows are not the ones fading out. They're models can afford to take time off. Quality > Quantity.

She even went back to germany(julia) to do her Oktoberfest festivals :innocent::lol: Daria and Gemma simply will never fade ... neither will Hilary Rhoda or Malgosia.. once you have a mega cosmetic contract you dont need to do as much..

About Malgosia she doesnt need to do ruwnay anymore.. shes already up there.. proving that she can go MIA and still score hermes campaigns etc

SUCKED to those who hate Julia :P

Maybelline New York Signs German Super Model, Julia Stegner

Maybelline New York Signs German Super Model, Julia Stegner
Tuesday October 16, 7:00 am ET

NEW YORK, Oct. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Maybelline New York Worldwide announced today that Julia Stegner, the stunning German supermodel and media star, has become Maybelline's newest spokesperson. She joins Maybelline New York's prestigious roster of A-list celebrities including Christy Turlington, Erin Wasson, Adriana Lima, and Zhang Ziyi.
62gd3.jpg

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20071016/NYTU015 )
rue fairy tale fashion, Julia was discovered in 1999 by a modeling agency in Munich while she was still in high school. During a trip to Paris with her mother after graduation, Julia met with major fashion houses who convinced her to pursue a full time modeling career. After opening the Autumn/Winter Yves Saint Laurent show in Paris in 2003, she went on to shoot their campaign. Shortly afterwards, she shot the cover of Italian Vogue with the immensely talented Steven Meisel. Julia quickly became a sought after model, gracing, one after the other, the covers of countless prestigious magazines including Italian Vogue, French Vogue, Japanese Vogue, German Elle and I-D Magazine to name only a few. Always close to her family and friends in Munich, she maintained her home base in Germany and traveled frequently for work. During her visits to New York she grew to love the city and moved there two years into her career.

Julia is a perfect addition to Maybelline New York's amazing team of spokesmodels: incredibly fresh, beautiful and cosmopolitan, she is also very smart, well-spoken and involved. In May 2006 Julia traveled to Sierra Leone as a good-will ambassador for Unicef. Her trip was documented by German Vogue in order to help raise awareness for the cause. Julia continues to remain involved with Unicef and plans to deepen her involvement to raise money for children in need.

"We are thrilled to have Julia Stegner join our Maybelline New York family of spokespeople," says Cheryl Vitali, Senior Vice President - Marketing, Maybelline New York * GARNIER. "Julia embodies the spirited, confident energy that is Maybelline New York. We're looking forward to working with her on many campaigns for the brand."

Julia is extremely excited to be joining Maybelline New York because of her early memories of the brand as one represented by super models and which made some of the first cosmetic products she ever used. "Growing up I always used Maybelline products. My first mascara was Great Lash which was a favorite of all of my friends at the time and which I am still using today." Julia is honored to become part of the brand legacy and to be a "Maybelline girl".

When she is not traveling the world for work or charitable involvements, Julia can be spotted playing basketball, her favorite sport, on the outdoor courts in New York, or riding her bicycle in her East Village neighborhood.

Julia has also appeared in campaigns for Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, Dolce & Gabbana and many others. She has also collaborated with the world's most renowned fashion photographers including Mario Testino, Patrick Demarchelier, Peter Lindbergh, Craig McDean, Inez and Vinoodh, Steven Klein, Mert and Marcus, and David Sims.

Julia will make her sensational television and print debut for Maybelline New York in February 2008.

About Maybelline New York

Maybelline New York is the number one cosmetic brand in the U.S. and globally and is available in over 90 countries worldwide. Offering more than 200 products, Maybelline New York combines technologically advanced formulations with on trend expertise to create accessible cosmetics with a cool, urban edge. For more information, log on to www.maybelline.com for the latest news on product introductions, seasonal trends and advice from Maybelline New York's online beauty advisor.

^ It doesn't change the fact that she's hideous, unfortunately!. But that's a different topic all together ^_^

And great post TGA :flower:

I think Julia is beautiful, not my favourtie but still beautiful. She's everything you think of when you think supermodel, super tall, beautiful hair, prominant cheekbones, etc.

Wow maybelline! She deserves it 100%, good for her.

I think Julia is beautiful, not my favourtie but still beautiful. She's everything you think of when you think supermodel, super tall, beautiful hair, prominant cheekbones, etc.
I like her too a bit maybe hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->