Predict Style.com's Top Ten New Faces for F/W 08.09

youarearockstar

utterly superfluous
Reaction score
It's that time of year again! The new faces start to make their presence known as the castings become more and more competitive, and the speculation and rumors begin!

For those unfamiliar with this thread, I'll explain it briefly. At the end of every season, the editors of Style.com create a few Top Ten lists for beauty looks, collections, and for new models. For the last few years now, tFS members have had an on-going game of sorts, where we analyze and scrutinize castings to determine who stands the best shot of being one of those Top Ten Newcomers.

So before we start speculating, just a few things to remember before posting in this thread:

1. This point of this thread is to predict and discuss. It is not a conversation medium for whether or not you like a particular show's castings. While cast lists from a particular show may certainly be referenced, this is also not the same as the Model ID thread; please take identification oriented questions there instead.

2. While everyone is certainly welcome to help speculate and interpret the castings, just remember that Style.com hardly repeats names (except for Kim Noorda three times a few years ago). If you need a reminder of who has already been named on a previous list, please see the link below:
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/editor/archive/index.html

3. Unfortunately, there is no finite definition for 'Newcomer.' Because of this, sometimes a model who only did two shows the season before may be considered 'new' whereas another who worked the season before may not. Please be considerate of other posters who may have a different opinion of which models may be considered new.

All those technicalities aside, I really hope that everyone enjoy the prospect of analyzing another crop of newcomers, and their potential for success, the same way that I do. With that said, let the speculation and predictions begin! :clap:

Bolds are my for-sures.

Agnete Hegelund (Ford) (repeat)

Kamila Filipcikova (IMG)
Abbey Lee (Next)

Angelika Kocheva (Marilyn)
Simona McIntyre (Marilyn)
Regina Feoktistova (Marilyn)
Eniko Mikhalik (Marilyn)
Paul Pavlovska (Trump)
Aline Weber (One)
Heloise Guerain (Women)
Viktoriya Sasonkina (Women)
Lovisa Ingman (Women)
Marina Peres (?)
Vika (Supreme)

Even though she debuted for Spring 2008, Karlie Kloss is doing a huge(!) number of shows and opening/closing many of them. This is her season. ^_^

Ok, so I suppose I should post my first predictions for this season thus far. While NYC is not especially known for breaking new faces, I think that last season certainly demonstrated the predictive nature of certain castings and show exclusives in New York.

Rather than list all of my pseudo-logic at the moment, I'm just going to post my usual lists for the meantime. :lol:

The Hot List :woot::
Kamila Filipcikova - I think she's going to ride the success her Vogue Italia cover all the way into Europe this season.
Diana Farkhullina - She's 'mysteriously' absent thus far at NYFW, which should signal an exclusive coming up, given her success at Haute Couture.
Heloise Guerin - Certainly making a name for herself already, with some of the best castings in New York.
Georgina Stojilkovic - Her run in NYC is starting to look quite similar to the way Oxana Pautova started last season, the question is can she keep her momentum.
Malin Ones - Marilyn has a few new faces that are just perfect runway girls, and Malin certainly seems to be leading that pack.
Adina Forizs - Last season's Prada darling missed the list last season, but there's a big chance that she'll be back with a vengeance this time around.
Iris Strubegger - One of those grey areas between newcomer and somewhat establish, but Iris certainly has a buzz about her this season.
Abbey-Lee Kershaw - Perhaps the most anticipated face of the season, at least where NY is concerned. Should be interesting to see if she maintains her buzz through Europe.

The Watch List B:(

Vika Kuropyatnikova, Karmen Pedaru, Anna Gushina, Lovisa Ingman, Alana Kuznetsova, Natalia Schueroff, Natasha Belebrevik, Daria Strokous, Gantz Gilles, Eniko Mihalik, Cate Chant, Sara Blomqvist, Paul Pavlovska, Aline Weber

The Dark Horse List :ninja::

Austria Ullowa, Lyoka Tyagnereva, Jill Bauwens, Thaysse Ricci, Franziska Drude, Skye Stracke, Tara Gill, Gate Haile, Tamara McDonald, Kate Somers, Kasia Zych, Kateryna Fedorchuk

Again, this is all just my personal opinion. I know that the lists are long and cumbersome at the moment, but as the season progresses they'll change and dwindle down a bit. Also, this is just my format for keeping track of names, no one else is expected to use this format (though they can if they would like). :flower:

Just for reference, these are the two ladies that MDC has already named it's Top 10 Newcomers of the season:

Kamila Filipcikova:
Straight off her massive European SS08 show, it was clear that Kamila Filipcikova was bound for new model stardom. Little did we know that her star would rise so fast as to make her one of the hottest new editorial and campaign forces in the business even as we speak. From the Feretti campaigns to the best blue chip edits you could imagine Kamila F is bound to be front and center on the runways this season as a prime example of a new generation IMG star. Stay tuned for our exclusive video Q+A with captivating Kamila.
(MDC)

Abbey-Lee Kershaw:
Shortly before the Christmas break last year, we ran an epic video of that beautiful Aussie, Abbey Lee. She radiated such an easy charisma it was all but obvious that Abbey was set for a stand-out FW 08 NY show season. Well since Saturday, stand-out has evolved into stunning with Abbey sweeping up bookings from Marc by Marc to Rodarte to Oscar. It’s rare for a first season girl, previously unglimpsed on the European market to hit the scene with such force, but Abbey has now more than lived up to the advance billing and another Next star is freshly coined. Stay tuned.
(MDC)

Abbey Lee Kershaw & Kamila Filipcikova are definites on my predictions.

I'm not sure what will happen with Abbey Lee in Europe though...

+ I'd like to add Adina Forizs. Because she didn't make the top ten faces last season ^_^

I'm not gonna say anything yet, because the success of girls in New York is hardly any measurement for Europe and thus for this Top 10. Plus, Calvin Klein is yet to show, as is Marc Jacobs, so to conclude on who are the biggest stars out of NYC is hard as well. But I'm fairly sure that MDC is right on the money this time.

^Hey now, let's just think of it as comprehensive. Besides my mind processes names and faces, and information regarding both, far too well; my hypothetical list shouldn't impact anyone else's. :smile:

Also, Wayne has a somewhat odd choice for his third newcomer...
Top 10 Newcomer 08 : Alice Burdeu

Now this is what its about. Alice Burdeu is that brand new girl, previously unbranded who sweeps into NY and starts to log every significant show in sight. This red headed Australian hit the market with such a degree of poise and presence, you can fully expect the momentum to continue from London through to Milan and Paris. Here’s to a girl who knows how to claim a moment.
(MDC)

Here's the thing. Alice looked exception at Proenza, and really seems to have the potential to break her Top Model stigma. However, while she's performed well thus far, I would hardly consider her as impressive as a few others thus far (Anna Gushina, Heloise Guerin, Gantz Gilles, Karmen Pedaru, Malin Ones, Aline Weber...etc.). I suppose we'll have to wait and see whether this rumored Prada option comes through for Alice.

I like Alice, but that's just weird. Booking Proenza is a big deal, but otherwise she hasn't done anything of significance, really, and she'd just be one of many, many new girls on hold for Prada. But perhaps Wayne knows something we don't?

Anna Gushina is really moving up as one of the strongest contenders. Of IMG's Prada exclusives, I honestly thought she was the least likely to make a splash, so I'm rather surprised.

Some people seem to think Abbey Lee will fade in Europe, but I'm not so sure about that.

Diana Farkhullina feels like quite a safe bet, even with Milan and Paris left to go. It'd almost be shocking if she doesn't turn into a star.

Then there's Kamila Filipcikova. Very impressive so far, and that VI cover won't hurt her chances. Besides, we already know certain major Milan clients like her.

Adina Forizs has had a good enough start, and I don't think NY is her strongest market.

I'm also feeling fairly certain that Malin Ones will continue to impress in Europe.

The rest's pretty much up in the air. Alana Kuznetsova had a promising NY showing too, and girls like Aline Weber, Austria Ulloa, Natalia Schueroff will likely go on to major things in Europe, but you never know. Competition will be much tougher in Milan-Paris, and someone has to be that girl who doesn't live up to expectations.

Anna Gushina is really moving up as one of the strongest contenders. Of IMG's Prada exclusives, I honestly thought she was the least likely to make a splash, so I'm rather surprised.

You read my mind Olga! I honestly thought that Anna Gushina was the least like of her triplet bunch to be in such demand, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see her doing so well. I'll be interested to see how Europe goes for her, because she really felt the most low-key of the bunch last time around.

I'm also feeling fairly certain that Malin Ones will continue to impress in Europe.

The rest's pretty much up in the air. Alana Kuznetsova had a promising NY showing too, and girls like Aline Weber, Austria Ulloa, Natalia Schueroff will likely go on to major things in Europe, but you never know. Competition will be much tougher in Milan-Paris, and someone has to be that girl who doesn't live up to expectations.

Malin's stock is certainly on the rise, same goes for Aline Weber. I supposed with those two, we're going to run into issues of 'newness,' more with Aline than Malin. Still, they feel like this season's Agnete. I would also add Natasha Belebrevik to that little niche with Austria and Natalia, as being somewhat under the radar, but certainly noteworthy!

Actually...it seems as if we agree on almost everything thus far. :lol:

^Dark Horse is a term that refers to an unknown contender who has a chance to surprise those watching the race.

The definition is:
dark horse
–noun 1.a racehorse, competitor, etc., about whom little is known or who unexpectedly wins.
(dictionary.com)

Hope that clears that up for you. I use that term for the models that I feel are just under the radar and have a chance to really bloom if they get an important casting or something. :flower:

See I'd put Alice in the dark horse list, she's done a few shows (Proenza being the largest) however if the Prada option comes through it's going to be insanity. Abbey Lee is an unknown to me in the sense that she's either going to sweep up a la McNeil a few seasons ago, or she'll fizzle out. Adina is pretty much a shoo-in for me, ditto on Kamila. These are the best predictions I can make for now, because many times NY's stars fizzle in the later weeks and Paris and Milan will make the new stars (a la Hilary Rhoda back in her first season, doing nothing really until Balenciaga). It is going to be one interesting season for me watching (and hoping for that Prada option...B)).

^Hey now, let's just think of it as comprehensive. Besides my mind processes names and faces, and information regarding both, far too well; my hypothetical list shouldn't impact anyone else's. :smile:

I wouldn't say your list impacts my decision but when I saw your list it was more or less the same as my list. Your hot list is the exact same as mine with the additions of Anna Gushina and Natalia Schueroff.

yaars, has Kasia Zych done any shows? I am not familiar with her...

Georgina Stojilkovic - everywhere, all over the place
Abbey Lee - heavily promoted, and doing very well

:D

She did the Arthur Mendonca show...I honestly thought she would perform much better. Who knows, maybe they're saving her for Europe, but it could be that she was just not well received.

I have to update my list after the Marc show tonight; that above list of mine will be severely paired down. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->