Predict Style.com's Top Ten New Faces for F/W 08.09

What do you guys think the possibilities are that Flo Gennaro could make it to the list? This was an awesome breakout season for her!

^I have to agree with that, and I love Flo. I think last season was certainly more of her debut, especially considering the Jil Sander exclusive. Dale is right, in that this was her real breakthrough season, but I don't think we'll see her on the list. :(

^ I agree although she walked a lot of big shows I dont think shell be on the list, maybe if she had openend or closed some of those shows she would be there.

Sara Blomqvist:
Top 10 Newcomers FW 08(Europe:( Sara B
Fashion Week, Girls, Model News, Top 10 Newcomers March 5th, 2008, by wayne

Searing Sara Blomqvist copped a Prada exclusive last season and made a winning return to the brand’s runway for FW 08. But after Milan things really exploded for Sara who walked the shows of Yohji Yamamoto, Blaenciaga, YSL, Chanel, McQueen Vuitton and Miu-Miu to make her one of the undisputed runway champions of the season. We would bet the house on a very impressive editorial and campaign conversion for this newcomer.
(MDC)

Just for reference, here's Douglas Perrett's list

COACD TOP TEN NEW FACES FW08

1. Kamila Filipcikova at IMG
2. Abbey Lee Kershaw at Next
3. Amanda Laine at Supreme
4. Aline Weber at One
5. Alice Burdeu at Elite
6. Sara Blomqvist at DNA
7. Georgina Stojilkovic at Women
8. Malin Ones at Marilyn
9. Kate Somers at Ford
10. Skye Stracke at DNA

Honorary Mentions: Karmen Perdu at Next, Jourdan Dunn at Women, Iris Strubegger at Supreme, Heloise Guerin at Women, Jill Bauwens at Ford, Anna Schilling at Fusion, Anna Gushina at IMG, Natalia Chabenenko at Women, Daria Strokous at IMG, Diana Farkhulina at IMG, Eden Clark at One
Nothing shocking, but I'm pretty surprised he didn't pick Karmen, Diana or Anna Gushina over, say, Kate Somers. But perhaps he just doesn't like them as much. :wink:

Haha, yes. I'd definitely rank all three of those over Skye Stracke as well, though.

There's no chance for Daria to get in the list, right? :cry:

I've given this a lot of thought and this is my final list of the ten girls that I think will end up on this ever so famous list. In alphabetical order:

Abbey Lee Kershaw/Next: Finally someone with a pre-season buzz that actually lives up to it! She did amazing...wether you like her or not, shows like Marc Jacobs, Christian Dior (or, well, let's just make that every single Parisian show that mattered) and a Gucci exclusive are an undeniable free-pass into this list.

Alice Burdeu/Elite: Another Aussie? But of course...This impeccably elegant redhead is bound to end up on the list since she can add slots at Jil Sander, Lanvin, Proenza Schouler and a whole lot more to her resumé. She'll be the first product of the NTM-franchise to end up on this list and will reach a whole lot more.

Aline Weber/1 Model Management: She had an incredible run in New York doing all the shows that matter casting-wise. But she secured her spot in Paris where she impressed the most. Opening Balenciaga? You're in, Aline!

Amanda Laine/Supreme: Fresh of the internet and onto the runway. The ultimate 'MySpace generation model'. Opening both McQueen and MiuMiu and closing Vuitton in the one of the most rememberable dresses of the season was definetly the icing on the cake for Amanda. The rest of the cake was straight A-list runwaywork, just in case you were wondering.

Anna Gushina/IMG: As a former Prada exclusive you build up some expectations when you go into your first complete season. And those expectations did not hold her back at all. She had a consistent amazing run throughout the cities, booking exits at all the huge shows both in New York, Milan and Paris.

Georgina Stojiljkovic/Women: Serbian beauty Georgina started in New York at a slow pace booking a lot of shows, but only a few of them were huge casting-wise (Vera Wang, DVF). But as the fashion crowd traveled the Atlantic and came ashore on the European mainland it became clear that she was only building momentum in The Big Apple. She walked a staggering 63 shows without even setting foot in London. Prada, Jil Sander, Givenchy, Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, you name it: she was there!

Kamila Filipcikova/IMG: Landing two Vogue Italia covers during fashion week is something a model can only dream of. Well, dreams can come true because Kamila got her self lensed by Meisel for the prestigious cover twice in a row. Wether it added to her runwaysuccess or not, it certainly added to the modelizers' appreciation. Not that she wasn't appreciated after doing both the Marc shows, Marni, Prada, Jil Sander, Dior, McQueen, Vuitton, Valentino. I mean, come on...

Karmen Pedaru/Next: So, where should I begin? In New York? Where she did Marc Jacobs. In Milan? Where she did Gucci. Or in Paris? Where she did everything you could ever imagine. The girl even opened Yves Saint Laurent. Yeah, it doesn't really matter where you begin, at the end of the equation there's only one conclusion: success!

Malin Ones/Marilyn: Success comes in numbers sometimes. Her lucky number was a grand total of 60 shows in her first season. Pretty nice, no? But success also comes in quality. Nothing lacked her there either: Calvin Klein, Proenza Schouler, Dolce & Gabbana, Balenciaga, Dior, Nina Ricci. A solid combination.

Sara Blomqvist/DNA: The beautiful Prada exclusive of last year burst into the European scene like no other. A second Prada exclusive (unheard of, so that's pretty amazing) and then came all those wonderful shows in Paris. To name a few, there were McQueen, Balenciaga, Vuitton, MiuMiu. The Blomqvist has arrived.

Wildcards: Iris Struberger, Diana Farkhullina, Skye Stracke, Jourdan Dunn, Gantz Gilles & Jill Bauwens.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say a 'new face',how is it possible that someone who has been around in the modeling scene for a few years and is just now hitting major shows be called a 'new face'?

everyone has such great explanations, I won't be able to top it....still I guess these 10 girls will make the list:

Abbey Lee Kershaw
Aline Weber
Amanda Laine
Anna Gushina
Diana Farkhullina
Georgina Stojiljkovic
Kamila Filipcikova
Karmen Pedaru
Natalia Chabanenko
Sara Blomqvist

It's interesting how different these faces are from last season. Besides girls like Abbey, Diana & Skye, so many of these that are suggested have such strong and mature looks compared to the kind of young, fresh-faced aesthetic that dominated S/S 08 (Anabela, Siri, Agnete, Lera, Masha T, Taryn, Ali etc).

^Yes! Isn't it wonderful?! I think the average age of all the proposed girls is a lot higher too...

Amanda Laine/Supreme: Fresh off the internet and onto the runway. The ultimate 'MySpace generation model'.

She came from an agency, not from submitting herself. The contest was just pr hype. more like the ultimate big-business model

Ok so I finally think I've decided on my list. The names were a bit easier to come by this season, though the struggle to decode 'newcomer' weighed heavily on me again. Anyhow, this is what I'm sticking with for this season (also note that the Top Ten Collections were just announced so this list should be up on Style.com next week-ish).

Abbey Lee Kershaw - Love her or hate her, Abbey was the face of the season for most casting directors and designers.

Alice Burdeu -
Presence is what really sealed this for Alice, as her runway record was not as strong as some other new girls.

Aline Weber -
She performed where it counted I suppose, and opening Balenciaga should not be overlooked

Amanda Laine -
Selective bookings at their best. Amanda walked where it counted most for that super directional career.

Anna Gushina -
Last season's most promising carry over. Her showlist was fairly impeccable .

Diana Farkhullina -
Without that CK exclusive, I'm not sure she was present enough on the runways, but she came into her own during the last days of Paris.

Georgina Stojiljkovic -
Georgina was everywhere, enough said!

Karmen Pedaru -
Unlike Kamila her previous runway work was hardly has explosive or prestigious. She certainly made a name for herself this season.

Malin Ones -
If it wasn't for the sheer number of shows she did, I'm not sure I would include Malin. However, 61 shows for a newcomer is serious.

Natalia Chabaneko -
Call it my wildcard, but I think Natalia was most buzzworthy Prada opener since Suvi. If I'm wrong, she'll probably be here next season.

Honorable mentions:

Kamila Filipcikova - I think she broke through last season, enough to book two Vogue Italia covers. If she's on the list, then I suppose Natalia will not be.

Sara Blomqvist - I adore everything about Sara, but I'm just not sure if Paris was enough to secure her on the list. Especially given that this is technically her second season.

Anna Selezneva - Yes, she had some strong bookings given that she opened Balmain and closed YSL, but that does not feel like enough of a showing. Wait till next season, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure Diana will be included, because she's the Taryn of FW 08 season. Taryn has a CK and Jil Sander exclusives, while Diana did even better CK exclucive, Jil Sander exclusive-no-shows-before-us, Emilio Pucci, Marni and she did great in Paris. She definitely deserves that spot more than, let's say Sara Blomqvist who I really like but didn't have a strong runway record.

^ I'd actually say Sara did slightly better than Diana in Paris, and a second Prada exclusive should rank higher than Jil Sander + Marni. However, the Calvin exclusive makes all the difference, and I think opening and closing Chloé sealed the deal for Ms Farkhullina.

I'm guessing either Sara or Skye (wouldn't be too surprised if they pick the latter, actually) will make the list as well, though. Or else it'll be the first time EVER that no one from DNA makes the cut.

Most everyone seem to agree on 3/4 of the names, and I'm afraid my list won't offer anything new or exciting either :lol: But I'm gonna go with...

Abbey Lee Kershaw
Alice Burdeu
Aline Weber
Amanda Laine
Anna Gushina
Diana Farkhullina
Georgina Stojiljkovic
Karmen Pedaru
Malin Ones
Sara Blomqvist

The big question for me is whether they'll give Kamila a well-deserved nod after all, and if so, who she'll replace. I don't think Chabanenko will be there, doesn't seem quite right when there are so many strong non-exclusives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->