Predict Style.com's Top Ten New Faces for F/W 08.09

My list
Abbey Lee
Jourdan Dunn (shes not new, but being the first black woman to walk prada since Naomi is huge)
Anna Gushina
Kamilla F. (she is a lock imo)
Georgina S.
Amanda Laine
Malin Ones
Diana Farkhullina

I think the wild cards are Alice Burdeau, Natalia C., Aline Weber, Martha Streck, Margaryta S., Vika, Kate Sommers, Gantz, etc

My List:
Abbey Lee Kershaw
Aline Weber
Amanda Laine
Anna Gushina
Diana Farkhullina
Georgina Stojiljković
Kamila Filipcikova
Karmen Pedaru
Malin Ones

I'll probable get only five or six, but I'll give it a try. :lol:

Abbey Lee
Alice Burdeu
Aline Weber
Amanda Laine
Anna Gushina
Diana Farkhullina
Georgina Stojilkovic
Kamila Filipcikova
Karmen Pedaru
Malin Ones

I just don't see Jourdan making it, despite the Prada slot and everything, perhaps if she had done better in Paris I'd include her.

ETA: LOL Miwa our lists are almost the same.

My List:
Abbey Lee Kershaw
Alice Burdeau
Aline Weber
Amanda Laine
Anna Gushina
Georgina Stojiljković
Kamila Filipcikova
Karmen Pedaru
Malin Ones

My list:
Abbey Lee Kershaw
Alice Burdeau
Anna Gushina
Diana Farkuhillina
Georgina Stojiljković
Iris Strubegger
Kamila Filipcikova
Malin Ones
Natalia Chabanenko
Skye Stracke

It was so hard this season :doh: But here goes:

Abbey Lee Kershaw (Next / ? / Next ) - 100% lock.

Notable Runway Appearances: Calvin Klein, Hervé Léger by Max Azria, Marc Jacobs, Oscar de la Renta, Rag & Bone, Rodarte (C), Gucci (Exc), Chanel, Christian Dior, Givenchy (O), Louis Vuitton, Valentino

Alice Burdeu (Elite / Why Not / Silent) - Her haircolor alone would bring some variety to the list. And since Style.com just did a special feature on her...

Notable Runway Appearances: Marc Jacobs, Proenza Schouler, Christopher Kane, Giles, Luella Bartley, Daks, Dolce & Gabbana, Jil Sander, Alexander McQueen, Dries van Noten, Lanvin, Louis Vuitton

Aline Weber (1 / Why Not / Elite)- She has been around for a while but never made a splash internationally...she would also be the only Brazilian and One Management model on this list :smile:

Notable Runway Appearances: Calvin Klein, Jonathan Saunders (O), Marc Jacobs, Narciso Rodriguez, Proenza Schouler, Rag & Bone, Burberry Prorsum, Daks (O), Balenciaga (O), Chloe, Lanvin, Louis Vuitton, YSL

Amanda Laine (Supreme / Women / Women) - A slew of openings and closings in Paris should solidify her position.

Notable Runway Appearances: Marni, Prada, Alexander McQueen (O), Balenciaga, Dries van Noten, Givenchy, Louis Vuitton (C), Miu Miu (O), Nina Ricci

Anna Gushina (IMG / IMG / IMG) - NYC and Milan were better than Paris for her, but she was very consistent.

Notable Runway Appearances: Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Marc Jacobs, Proenza Schouler (O), Ralph Lauren, Rodarte, Alessandro Dell'Acqua, Fendi, Jil Sander, MaxMara, Prada, Balenciaga, Chloe, Miu Miu, YSL

Diana Farkhullina (IMG / IMG / IMG) - A bit slow in the beginning stages of Paris, but she picked up the pace quickly.

Notable Runway Appearances: Calvin Klein (Exc), Jil Sander, Chloe (O) (C), Louis Vuitton, Miu Miu, Nina Ricci, Valentino

Georgina Stojiljkovic (Women / Women / Women) - The Kasia of this season -- appealed to nearly every aesthetic. Unlike most of the new girls, she started slow but ended strong.

Notable Runway Appearances: Max Azria, Vera Wang, Dolce & Gabbana, Jil Sander, Marni, Prada, Alexander McQueen, Christian Dior, Giambattista Valli, Givenchy, Hermes, John Galliano, Valentino, YSL

Karmen Pedaru (Next / Fashion / Next) - Even though she started humbly like Georgina, Paris absolutely adored her. She was also extremely popular in London.

Notable Runway Appearances: Marc Jacobs, Christopher Kane, Giles, Etro, Gucci, Marni, Alexander McQueen, Balenciaga, Chanel, Chloe, Christian Dior, Givenchy, Karl Lagerfeld, Louis Vuitton, YSL

Malin Ones (Marilyn / Joy / Metropolitan) - Had slower periods but always made up ground with huge shows. She'll be Marilyn NY's representative.

Notable Runway Appearances: Calvin Klein, Proenza Schouler, Rag & Bone, Christopher Kane, Giles, Alessandro Dell'Acqua, Dolce & Gabbana, Balenciaga, Christian Dior, Givenchy, Louis Vuitton

Sara Blomqvist
(DNA / ? / Viva) - Fantastic runs in London + Paris on top of two Prada exclusives in a row (Which is an uncommon feat). Plus, DNA New York needs someone in this top 10, even if she didn't show up in NY.

Notable Runway Appearances: Christopher Kane (O), Giles, Luella Bartley, Prada (Exc), Alexander McQueen, Balenciaga, Chanel, Dries van Noten, Louis Vuitton, Miu Miu

Possibilities:

Anna Selezneva (? / ? / Silent) - Though she didn't do much, opening Balmain and closing YSL from out of nowhere means that she could be the Michaela Kocianova/Ekaterina Kiseleva/Edita V. of this season's list.

Notable Runway Appearances: Balmain (O), Hermes, Lanvin, Louis Vuitton, YSL (C)
If she were on the list: She would probably replace Malin Ones.

Kamila Filipcikova (IMG / Joy / IMG) - I believe strongly in her, but the fact that she already has two Vogue Italia covers and is already a Meisel muse makes me more skeptical that Style.com will treat her as a newer face (Unless they are thinking the Georgia Frost way again) :unsure:

Notable Runway Appearances: Anna Sui, Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Rodarte, Christopher Kane, Giles, Alessandro Dell'Acqua, Dolce & Gabbana, Jil Sander, Prada, Alexander McQueen, Christian Dior, Miu Miu, Valentino
If she were on the list: She would probably replace Sara Blomqvist.

Natalia Chabanenko (? / Women / Women) - Style.com has been more careful about automatically putting "the Prada opener" on the list.

Notable Runway Appearances: Prada (Exc) (O) (C), Miu Miu (Exc)
If she were on the list: She would probably replace Anna Gushina.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about Karmen. She has been there in the background for a couple of years. Marni, Christopher Kane back in SS07, and generally decent London showings (+ Vuitton last season).

Style.com might not even be aware of this, and she definitely deserves to make the list, but I think she's a typical candidate to get overlooked.

Otherwise I basically agree with Faith's list, but those last few spots are so damn tricky. And if you switch just one name, the whole balance shifts, so to speak, and you have to rethink it all. Kamila could definitely go either way, but I'm not sure who she'd replace. Probably Karmen or Sara. But I also think there's a small chance Skye will beat out Sara for a vacant "DNA spot". Natalia would probably have had to open/close Miu Miu as well to make it, but you never know (duh!)...

Good points on Karmen LYF! I completely overlooked her past history...I think her appearance was just so overwhelmingly abundant this season that everything else got overshadowed :lol: I'm really hoping that she makes it!

i think jourdan could make the list...because anabela made the list her second season

^For the sake of correcting details: this is Jourdan's third season (F/W 07.08, S/S 08, and F/W 08.09). Anabela and Alyona were included on their second seasons based on the fact that their first seasons were heavily restricted due to exclusives (Alyona's more so). However, if we've learned nothing over the last couple of seasons trying to guess this list, it's the the term newcomer is rather intangible at times.

That was long time ago and they seem to have changed over the seasons, for example, they don't do repeats now, and Kim Noorda, was a repeat twice I think.

Li Ya Fan said:
I'm not sure about Karmen. She has been there in the background for a couple of years. Marni, Christopher Kane back in SS07, and generally decent London showings (+ Vuitton last season).

Style.com might not even be aware of this, and she definitely deserves to make the list, but I think she's a typical candidate to get overlooked.

I do think Karmen will make it. It's her first full season, and her past work is pretty insignificant. Not like Olga, who had done three Dolce & Gabbana shows, McQueen, Chanel, Valentino, Miu Miu etc. in the seasons leading up to her big breakthrough...

Kamila, on the other hand, doesn't feel new anymore because of her editorial success, and she was already a top runway newcomer last season. It seems kind of pointless to put her on the list now...

Last edited by a moderator:
That was long time ago and they seem to have changed over the seasons, for example, they don't do repeats now, and Kim Noorda, was a repeat twice I think.

Kim Noorda repeated three times I believe, and Marina Perez was repeated twice back when she was with Women. The key is that the industry was very different back then. The turn over rate for new faces was no where near as quick as it is today, so it's kind of hard to compare.

Basically I agree with Naiad, regarding Karmen's chances because it really was a few small shows along the way, sans Christopher Kane and her last Vuitton performance before this season. Oddly enough, I'm starting to waver on whether or not to include Kamila now as well, especially considering that she wasn't on an exclusive last season. Also, the mention that Emmanuelle Alt is quite keen on Anna Selezneva makes me question whether or not she'll be making a late breaking face for the list.

This is definitely a tough season to call because so many veteran runway stars took breaks, or decreased their work load, leaving room for an entirely new class of models. I'm still up in the air on about five names, but I'll post my list eventually...:lol:

i doubt Jourdan Dunn will make the list, because this is her third season and if i remember correctly her second season didn't just consist of a few shows. just because someone hasn't been on the list before doesn't mean they'll make it just because of that.

Karmen Pedaru:
Top 10 Newcomer FW 08 (Europe) : Karmen Fashion Week, Girls, Industry News, Model News, Top 10 Newcomers March 3rd, 2008, by wayne

Next’s faith in Karmen Pedaru paid off big time as this newbie marched her way into the ranks of Fall/Winter break out stars with bookings for Gucci, Dior, Balenciaga, Givenchy, Chanel, McQueen and Vuitton. Now watch all that runway mileage turn into a a rush of killer editorial and campaign options. She is a girl most likely to go blue chip. Stay tuned.
(MDC)

I don't think they'd include Jourdan either.. she has had some good success before this show season. I wouldn't be THAT surprised if they didn't include her though, for the whole diversity factor.. giving the fashion industry a "pat on the back" maybe.

This season is hard to predict.

I'm still torn between the two K's, but my gut is saying Kamila, so this is my list at the moment, with the help of your valid points as well:

Abbey Lee Kershaw

Alice Burdeu
Aline Weber
Amanda Laine
Anna Gushina
Diana Farkhullina
Georgina Stojiljkovic
Kamila Filipcikova
Malin Ones
Skye Stracke

Others (in order of possibility:(
Karmen Pedaru (to replace Kamila)