UK Vogue April 2019 : Naomi Scott by Nick Knight

Such a good issue !!! Grace slayed again ! Kate slayed ! Joe styling is the weakest in this issue. WHERE IS THE VOLUME ?

I feel like it is the first issue Edward acted as an EIC.

But I guess some of you will never give Edward credit, no matter what

I’m glad more people are realizing this and saying as much. I’ve also noticed this and have stated my confusion as to why people are expecting Edward to be at the level or perform at the level of his peer who has been doing this for 30 years.

And yes, he’ll never, ever get any credit. For reasons. :innocent:

^ Taking Vogue back to dark ages?

Quite an interesting turn of phrase, but makes sense considering.

I love the cover - Anna would never give a young WOC ingenue a cover unless she has tens of millions of IG followers like Zendaya. Doesn’t seem like ‘dark ages’ to me but oh well.

*adds this occurance to my notes, sips tea, exits thread*

It's quite a decent issue, and the editorials are alright, but there's nothing for the ages here.

I still don't understand how Edward hasn't facilitated Grace and Meisel's collaborative comeback (unless there's some beef I don't know of), although I'm thrilled to see Arthur's name back slapped on a fashion story, I won't remember that at all in a few days.

I’m glad more people are realizing this and saying as much. I’ve also noticed this and have stated my confusion as to why people are expecting Edward to be at the level or perform at the level of his peer who has been doing this for 30 years.

And yes, he’ll never, ever get any credit. For reasons. :innocent:

Quite an interesting turn of phrase, but makes sense considering.

I love the cover - Anna would never give a young WOC ingenue a cover unless she has tens of millions of IG followers like Zendaya. Doesn’t seem like ‘dark ages’ to me but oh well.

*adds this occurance to my notes, sips tea, exits thread*
You just had to put Anna's name somewhere in your post right? You need to stop because it's getting obsessive on your part to always find a way to bash her no matter what, and this is coming from a good place, not trying to start drama with you or anything.

I think this is a great issue, I absolutely love Anna Ewers' ed, it's refreshing to see something so sexy and powerful but done right in the pages of Vogue.

Guys...everyone need to relax....don't forget respect must prevail and stop have discussions like teenagers in high school....

I think Edward is in a learning process to be EIC, it's not the same to style one shoot to be the head of the whole magazine, but i think he is getting better, it's impossible that everyone agree on what he is doing but honestly it's a refresh...at the end BV it's under his vision, like it or not....and that's it's very subjective, he is doing what he thinks its good for the magazine and also he understand the power of social media, this is our times now...

You need to stop because it's getting obsessive on your part to always find a way to bash her no matter what, and this is coming from a good place, not trying to start drama with you or anything.

Please save your admonishments of an adult with her own opinions informed by a lifetime of experiencing racism and sexism in addition to other isms because of the body I was born into. No choice of my own but I wouldn’t trade being a black woman for anything.

That being said I will not ever stop calling out and holding Anna accountable for the active role she and other gatekeepers have played in ensuring women like me everywhere are marginalized and ignored in the fashion industry.

Nor will I never stop calling out people for attacking Edward when he is trying to be the change we need, when he is in the second year of his job, still on a learning curve, having to please readers and sell copies and please the suits.

All the while knowing that if he screws up he closes the door for any one else who looks like him to get an EIC position at any Vogue for years to come.

I don’t need any posters on this site worried about me ‘being obessive’ (lol!). So please save your admonishments they’re neither requested or necessary, ‘good place’ or not. Thanks.

That being said, if you also called out all the posters obsessed with trashing Edward, I’d maybe believe that you were coming from a good place (actually no I wouldn’t) but that’s neither here nor there.

Last edited:
Personally I'm just pleased he's giving Charlotte Wales more mainstream exposure - I hope she gets a cover! Her work is miles ahead most of the new generation of photographers.

So I bought it and besides the editorials everything was boring. The written content is really weak yet I see progress. Edward does better and better imo.

I think Edward is in a learning process to be EIC...

And that's exactly why people are never going to agree on this subject . I do not think you get the job of EIC of such an important publication to "learn" on the job, you get there as the pinnacle of your career. His tenure in my opinion has simply been, poor, there is no other word for it, it's not awful as he needs to be fired asap and is ruining the magazine reputation, but he made this publication the height of blandness. And if you think about it's quite ironic and an almost impossible feat taking in account the fact that the racially diversity he champions, and it is clearly visible, should make it more vibrant, instead there is a "luvvie" vibe permeating everything that I find particularly off putting . I see that failure as solely his responsibly.

And that's exactly why people are never going to agree on this subject . I do not think you get the job of EIC of such an important publication to "learn" on the job, you get there as the pinnacle of your career. His tenure in my opinion has simply been, poor, there is no other word for it, it's not awful as he needs to be fired asap and is ruining the magazine reputation, but he made this publication the height of blandness. And if you think about it's quite ironic and an almost impossible feat taking in account the fact that the racially diversity he champions, and it is clearly visible, should make it more vibrant, instead there is a "luvvie" vibe permeating everything that I find particularly off putting . I see that failure as solely his responsibly.

You know what would have saved you some time instead of writing this post?

Getting to the heart of the manner and just saying that you think ‘Edward is a mediocre EIC and a mediocre man/human being who will never accomplish anything worthwhile at his tenure at UK Vogue.’

That would’ve been quicker to write.

That being said, I can’t let the ‘substance’ of your post remain unchallenged.

* EDITED*

But in America and other international cities and countries there is this practice called onboarding. And it happens for everyone starting a new job, from the barista at a coffee shop to the new CEO of one of America’s biggest companies.

Everyone who starts a new job gets an onboarding time period where they learn the policies and work culture of their new place of employment, even the high powered CEO who has to have years of experience to qualify for their role. Now how long that formal period last depends on the job, employee, etc.

Then after that formal onboarding period has concluded the employee is usually granted more time to learn and get better in their job based on what they’ve been taught by superiors, coworkers, interacting with customers. Not to mention in some industries’ technology improvements happen so frequently that even the top people in the company, including a CEO, are still learning even after that formal learning process.

That’s called continual professional development. For instance, our teachers in America get professional development days set aside to learn new best practices in education and they don’t have to teach on those days.

So whether it’s a coffee barista, a teacher, an academic (ever heard of a sabbatical?) or even a CEO, on the job learning and training is a continual process (CEOs years into their roles will go to the Harvard Business School to get certificates to boost their credentials).

Not to mention Malcolm Gladwell’s 10 thousand hours rule, applicable for both professional and personal life long learning.

My point? If you’re not learning you’re dead. Learning is a lifelong process for humans both in their personal and professional lives.

No person should just be automatically expected to come in with all the knowledge they’ll ever need to perform a task, a job.

That’s an unrealistic and harmful expectation. But that’s become expected when it comes to Edward and the expectations forced on him on tFS, of which he’ll never accomplish.

You know there’s having opinions and then actively rooting for Edward to fail. I’ve observed that it’s the latter regarding Edward on here.

So if that’s your opinion - Edward is a mediocre EIC and man, state your opinion as such. But please don’t argue that somehow he should have all the knowledge he needs to do his job when he just celebrated his first year anniversary as the EIC - that’s just factually wrong based on everything we’ve learned from science about how people learn and grow, develop and become better throughout their lifespan.

Last edited by a moderator:
* EDITED *

If you expect a modicum of respect for your opinion if that's the tone you decide to adopt my dear, you have a lot to learn. And your quip is even more risible in it's laughable ignorance when actually the Netherlands (where I am now), and I'm not even Dutch by the way, is unfortunately one of most densely populated countries in the world. :lol:

Where exactly did I said people do not improve in their jobs, get better or acquire skills? But you do not get the top job to "learn", you get the top job because you have proven capabilities and your talent is solid. It's imperative if you wish to stay there to evolve, but as a starting point you need to be able to offer quality wise something that is tangible. A finished product. That's not the case here, in my opinion of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's MkOlsen article?

Here we go:

Singular Vision

Photographer: Craig McDean
Stylist: Alastair McKimm
Hair: Orlando Pita
Makeup: Francelle Daly
Manicure: Yuko Tsuchihashi
Cast: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Freja Beha Erichsen, Binx Walton

And some short front of book edits (the part I actually enjoy most) These photographers, MUAs and hair stylists are the cream of the crop, their budget must be through the roof.:

Modern Way

Photographer: Stas Komarovski
Stylist: Naomi Smart, Donna Wallace
Hair: Joey George
Makeup: Cyndle Komarovski
Manicure: Lauren Michelle Pires
Cast: Katja Andre, Juliane Gruner, Melody Lulu Briggs, Africa Peñalver, Zoe Thaets

The Illusionists

Photographer: Richard Burbridge
Stylist: Stella Greenspan, Jessica Diner
Hair: Ward Stegerhoek
Makeup: Diane Kendal
Cast: Vincent Beier, Paloma Elsesser, Meghan Roche

End Game

Photographer: Jack Davison
Stylist: Nell Kalonji
Hair: Mari Ohashi
Makeup: Matthias van Hooff
Manicure: Michelle Class