UK Vogue June 2018 : Cara Delevingne by Steven Meisel

Fair enough you and others see a high fashion oasis relief in this tribute/inspiration/reference rather than Meisel ripping off Penn wholesale. We really are in a deep deep deep fashion creative recession when such a blatant and lazy rip-off is swoonworthy.

I agree with you. Actually it is because Meisel is such an exquisite photographer that he has been getting away with this for years, half his oeuvre is a refined reworking of other people's work. It's beautiful, because it was beautiful the first way around, it is hard to be negative about imagery that you are fascinated a priori. He enhances what people are familiar and already comfortable with, it's easy to achieve consensus like that, in recent years in my opinion when he does not have the crutch of other artists' visual work as a starting point his own imagery has become quite weak.
And that would be fine no one can take from his achievements anymore, the problem for Meisel, is that lately his "homages" are becoming pastiches and that grates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the cover shot lovely, but I find the accompanying story is very flat. There's just nothing that elevates it.

Overall, for me, this issue has settled into feeling like Alexandra's Vogue but with Edward's twist (a greater array of faces).

In business terms, maybe that's the way it should be, if they want to build on the existing sales figures with a greater focus on diversity. But in terms of creativity, it's probably not the UK Vogue anyone really wishes for.

Adut Akech by Tim Walker for Vogue UK June 2018 preview

Source @modalaland on Instagram

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 31236282_1747749558597429_303724998953009152_n.jpg
    31236282_1747749558597429_303724998953009152_n.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 28
Meisel recent output is just a shadow of it's former self, and he's now stuck copying Avedon/Penn looking for some of that soul that made their work so special. These images are nowhere near that, even his edit for VI March 2013 was more inspired.

I don't think I loved any recent work of Tim Walker as much as these photos in #103 :heart:

Cara by Steven Meisel
Styled by Joe McKenna
Pat McGrath makeup, Guido Palau hair

source @caradelevingnenewsupdates on instagram

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_8.jpg
    Screenshot_8.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_9.jpg
    Screenshot_9.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_10.jpg
    Screenshot_10.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 18
The cover story is totally wasted on Cara; that's the best that even Meisel could get out of her? She looks like an utter novice compared to Kaia in the March issue. The cover itself is great; but they should've gone with a multi-girl cast for SM's edit.

The rest of this issue feels like Tonchi's W with a full, alloted budget. Tim Walker's edit? Well what can you say? A story in Jamaica shot by someone who seemingly only discovered that black people actually exist three years ago and it's as badly executed as you'd expect. Casting is completely off, and Binx and Fran are great print models. There are two nice close-ups of Adut and Fran that look a bit Phyllis Posnick-y but that's it. And Venetia Scott again? Hers looks like Self Service outtakes.

Edward has access to such good photographers, even if his vision isn't particularly strong (Steven Klein, Michael Thompson, Nick Knight, Paolo Roversi, Mikael Jansson, Jamie Hawkesworth...none for the new gen, sorry!), yet continues to use Teller, Walker, Scott. So boring!

Ok, that is one disappointing editorial...

I, for one, actually LOVE Cara's edit, even if it is an exact copy of Avedon's work from back in the day. But she looks so pure, so fresh, so lovely...I just think it's beautiful in a very innocent way.

the story look a bride editorial, to much Avedon copy to me

The portraits are nice enough but the full body shots are quite unfortunate, terrible body language and styling.

Oh Cara, you'll never be good at anything. Her pretty cover couldn't save the fact that she's a terrible model.

Modern Romance
Photographer:
Steven Meisel
Stylist: Joe McKenna
Model: Cara Delevingne
Make-up: Pat McGrath
Hair: Guido Palau

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Inside Chanel
Photographer:
Juergen Teller
Stylist: Poppy Kain