UK Vogue May 2016 : Kate Moss by Craig McDean

Moonage Daydream
Photo Colin Dodgson
Stylist Francesca Burns
Model Rianne Van Rompaey
Hair Rudi Lewis
Makeup Niamh Quinn

visualizing.fashion

I honestly thought I opened an old thread; Kate X Vogue UK always looks the same and it's getting so boring.
Sure Kate is an icon, she sells well for them and I can totally understand why they use her, but does she have to look the same every single time? This magazine is getting more boring and stale with every single issue. You have so many talent in the UK, such an inspiring fashion scene and this is what Vogue UK offers us? It's a joke.

Vogue UK May 2016

“The Wild Country”
Model:
Amanda Murphy
Photographer: Quentin de Briey
Fashion Editor: Verity Parker
Hair: Jonathan Connelly
Make-up: Lucy Burt

wearesodroee

imo after seeing the mag the only redeeming quality in Kate´s editorial is that she´s wearing original costumes worn by Jagger and Richards.

There´s one missing pic in Kate & Amanda´s eds and several in Rianne´s...

Last edited by a moderator:
can someone post the shopping guide feature thingy starring Marland Backus? can't seem to find any decent quality scans online. thanks!

BBC 'ABSOLUTELY FASHION' program debates this cover

Very boring, I feel like I've seen this before ...
Also I'm tired of Kate, she doesn't bring anything new to the table anymore.

it is interesting to point out that at Vogue UK only the editor in Chief wanted this bland image as the cover and every other staff member would have chosen the Union Jack image instead.

The BBC program (part 1) took us inside UK Vogue and at least 20min of it is about this photoshoot and how Vogue struggled to agree on which cover to go for.
Option 1) the bland very commercial "Kate out-of-bed-close-up-arm-in-the-air" deja vu, or
option 2) the very risky 'spread-legs Union Jack' edgy cover the editor hated 100%.

Needless to say as British Vogue doesn't take risk, they went for that bland one.

I bet Kate would also have disagreed had they ask her.:P

In Alex's defense, whilst I liked the cape image and think it would have ultimately made a stronger impact on the newsstand, I don't feel it's a great image. I was with her in saying the legs were great. It wasn't the image used above in the editorial but a different look of it, with the cape flying out more.

There were also strong facts to back up the fact it shouldn't be used - Union Jacks don't sell (though no one knows why). So I understand not using that image however I do not understand going with a banal, boring image like they did. There has to be more of a happy middle ground. And if your entire team is against you, you'd question yourself surely and revisit and rework to produce alternative options.

Saw that, but I personally felt neither images belonged on the cover. Alexandra's choice was tepid, and the Union Jack one would've needed much cropping as it's not really the cover style of this magazine. I was quite surprised to see everyone going to the latter. People seem to forget impact is everything, especially for a commercial title. If you stand a few metres away from the final cover, you can still recognise who it is.

Sidenote: It is odd that Union Jack covers don't sell. I find that in nearly every home I visit there's either a UJ printed cushion, poster or ornament in the living area. What's the psychology here? :lol:

My heart instantly went to the main cover. The way the alternate cover was cropped and positioned was terrible and the text ate her.

Anyone else see the alternative grey background shot of Kate with both arms above her head, which filled the space more? I love that one! :heart:

What a fantastic and insightful documentary (which oddly made me appreciate British Vogue a whole lot more).

does anyone know how many episodes there will be? I was surprised it's more than one....

What a fantastic and insightful documentary (which oddly made me appreciate British Vogue a whole lot more).

Yes yes yes! It actually humanized the magazine for me. It actually made me appreciate it even more than I used to and despite the disappointing covers, you see how they try.

However, the second cover (both hands up) felt like a deodorant ad for me?

And what's definitely on point is when Alex said "my heart is never allowed to rule." It showed how fashion is indeed a business.

And what's definitely on point is when Alex said "my heart is never allowed to rule." It showed how fashion is indeed a business.

While I definitely believe fashion should be thought about, and taken seriously as a business, there are people who have an intuitive ability to just know what works, or what people want before they even know it themselves.

Alex has always struck me as more of a bluestocking 'thinker' who's capable of putting out a good product, but is always going to be commenting on the trends after they surface, rather than anticipating them or having any hand in creating them.

That cliffhanger they left at the end of episode one though...Alex vs. Anna

I'm sat reading Alexandra Shulman's new book and inside she states it was Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott who were supposed to shoot Kate for this, but dropped out last minute and almost left Vogue without a shoot. Shulman goes on to write M&M aren't at the top of her list of cover photographers now.. :shifty:

now we have to know why Mert and Marcus not photographed this cover

The book have a pictures of Rosie H-W and Kate by M&M???

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->