US Vogue April 2019 : 'A Celebration of Global Talent' by Mikael Jansson

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by amby, Mar 13, 2019.

1. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

It reminds me of that lovely Vanity Fair cover with Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Sarah Silverman.

Benn98 likes this.
  2. Blayne266

Blayne266 Active Member

I’ve never been a fan of Vogue US but this year they have produced some lovely covers, this included. They have all been classically Vogue US, but we’ve had new faces & more importantly diverse faces.

vogue28, MON, russianelf and 2 others like this.
  3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

True! Every single one, actually. Even the Biebers.

Runabout, A.D.C. and Blayne266 like this.
  4. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Was it supposed to be an all asian cover and Scarlett snatched a POC role again?

5. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Anyone noticed Remembering Karl Lagerfeld on the golden bar down there?
    I like the cover, looks very fresh and easy.

Benn98 likes this.
  6. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

The cynic in me looks at US Vogue in 2019 and thinks -

Anna Wintour wasn't doing this back in the days - the decades - when the magazine was a dominant force in the media, when putting diversity on the cover would have made a huge cultural impact. She could have - and she didn't.

No doubt this would be attributed to "commercial decisions".

But now that the magazine is in terminal decline... now is the time to put diversity on the cover?

Better late then never, I suppose. But instead of the glorious and bold choice this could have been in its time - now it just seems like a false show of social conscience that's permitted to happen because print doesn't attract advertising revenue like it did and Vogue doesn't set the agenda anymore.

What's the message US Vogue is sending to people interested in diversity? When our old audience is deserting us, we'll turn to you! When we're a third-rate product, we'll put you on the front! When we don't matter so much, that's when you matter to us!

Saying all this - in the end, I don't expect much from these magazines. I've said a few times recently, when you love magazines, it's easy to forget that they're just glossy catalogues rather than manifestos for world change - and they're certainly not manufactured to be anyone's friend.

7. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

But they don't look their best! This feels like such a gimmick; Hey Edward is doing such diverse covers over at UK Vogue, let me jump on the bandwagon without actually putting effort into making it a decent cover! :rolleeyes: I mean this is Glenda's HB level of bland, enough said!

The Karl banner makes me excited to see what they put together to honor him, though!

THANK YOU Tigerrouge, as always, you see right through her BS! Those of us that are longterm readers, and remember how Wintour's Vogue used to be, this is TOO LITTLE TOO LATE!!!

Anna is beyond pathetic at this point, if she had any sense for her legacy, she would have left last year, but it's never easy to get rid of a meglomaniac like her! It will happen soon anyway!

And i think that we should ask more from our magazines, now more than ever actually.

Ken Doll Jenner and octoberchild like this.
  8. SLFC

SLFC Active Member

I saw Scarlett Johansson but where is she? I don't see her. Seriously I read the title and got confused when I saw the cover. She don't look like her self. Its an okay cover I guess. Its got too much problems with it.

HeatherAnne likes this.
  9. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

I don’t hugely get the Scarlett confusion, she looks like herself to me? Very young and fresh faced to be fair, but still. I’ve always had a soft spot for ScarJo. I’m going to reserve full judgement until we see the fold out cover, which I assume this is? Whilst I’m not in love with the image I hope there’s a beautiful erethral editorial to go with it. It feels old school Vogue in some respects and at least it’s appropraite for Spring if nothing else!

vogue28 likes this.
  10. Morgane07

Morgane07 Active Member

It's not a very flattering pic of Scar Jo; too much Photoshop, she looks like a teenager who may need braces. Deepika looks gorgeous - I'd have preferred her to be in the middle.

11. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Another classic example of an old-school American Vogue cover which I won't scoff at! It's a beautiful cover, and even more refreshing to see fresh new faces on the cover. Quite hard to tell who this would've been photographed by, since it could be anyone from Leibovitz (looks too unretouched and lifelike for Annie) to Mikael Jansson.

The styling on Scarlett takes me back to her Louis Vuitton campaign from Spring 2007 by Mert & Marcus!

Benn98, Blayne266 and TZ001 like this.
  12. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

Great comment. Some countries are so used to classify people like dog breeds because their government does it on a regular basis, as if it was so important your ethnicity just to get health, education, or social security.

13. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this 300000% and I´m shocked to see this cover and yes it´s good for diversity but when it feels forced and wayyyyy overdue then it becomes uneventful.

Miss Dalloway likes this.
  14. chanelh

chanelh Active Member

just off the topic a little bit, referring people with skin color is not that racist in all culture, I come from China, Chinese ppl are proud of calling themselves yellow skin and never see it as racist or disgraceful.

if u don't understand, it's alright, u don't have to, but don't recklessly judge other ppl or country based on your little mind, be careful, it may become another form of racist.

15. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Vogue’s Instagram

Second cover.

16. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

I have to laugh. Anglababy is NOT a talent, not to mention representing China.

Fancyfree, luchang732 and Benn98 like this.
  17. Morgane07

Morgane07 Active Member

There's a sad vibe in that cover.

guimon likes this.
  18. Morgane07

Morgane07 Active Member

I always see people saying East Asians versus South Asians without referring to the skin color.

19. serendipity8777

serendipity8777 Well-Known Member

Ph: Mikael Jansson
    Stylist: Camilla Nickerson
    Hair and Headpieces: Julien d’Ys
    Makeup: Hannah Murray
    Manicure: Anatole Rainey and Megumi Yamamoto
    Starring: Deepika Padukone, Golshifteh Farahani, Alba Rohrwacher, Scarlett Johansson, Eiza González, Léa Seydoux, Hera Hilmar, Doona Bae, Angelababy, Elizabeth Debicki, Adesua Etomi-Wellington, Vanessa Kirby, Liv Lisa Fries, Bruna Marquezine

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    vogue.com

crmsnsnwflks likes this.
  20. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

I quite like the second cover.