US Vogue April 2019 : 'A Celebration of Global Talent' by Mikael Jansson

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by amby, Mar 13, 2019.

1. serendipity8777

serendipity8777 Well-Known Member

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Uhm, so what's Scarlett doing in this lineup then?

The second cover is miles better! Composition, colours, everything. Except for Angelababy, of course! Elizabeth is basking in that glory and I love how she commands the viewer's attention.

I'm just a bit confused with the idea behind this cover. It's a bit Vanity Fair-ish, and as such feels out of place in Vogue.

3. SLFC

SLFC Active Member

Honestly on second thought I've reconsidered. Its actually decent cover, and editorial. And honestly a lot of people think the diversity is forced, and its forcing the usual political view we see nowadays and the usual the way I feel in other cases, but here this is actually something I quite like. It celebrates different women from different cultures, and if you going to diversity, I actually think this is a good way to do it. Celebrate their culture, not their skin color.

#43 SLFC, Mar 14, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 9:04 AM
    MON likes this.
  4. TZ001

TZ001 Active Member

Sublime editorial!

5. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

The concept is really clunky and not well executed, really don't get it.

The only positive is Elizabeth's shots. She's like the reincarnation of an 50s culture model who Irving Penn would make his muse. So stunning.

HeatherAnne, Miss Dalloway and Benn98 like this.
  6. Morgane07

Morgane07 Active Member

I agree the inclusion of Scar Jo seems random. I was convinced Elizabeth was Sophie Turner for a good minute. Lea Seydoux looks a mess in the editorial and bland on the cover, I've never understood her appeal.

Benn98 likes this.
  7. jeffandtheworld

jeffandtheworld Active Member

Tragic cover story.
    However, I personally prefer this to their usual 'models of the moment' routine.

I wish the personalities/talents were more relevant. The cast is bland. No offence to AngelaBaby, whom I think is one of the most beautiful women, but if we are talking globally then... Gemma Chan maybe? Elizabeth... Vanessa... again love them both, but choose one maybe?

Fancyfree likes this.
  8. chanelh

chanelh Active Member

Chinese people hate Angelababy, LMFAO, she is everything but talent !!

I really curious about the casting process, I believe her firm relationship with Dior really sets up the deal

luchang732 likes this.
  9. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

The editorial is a hit and misses. But I cannot stand this cover. Period.

Scar Jo go this cover solely based on Avengers that comes out in April. She has starred in a role of POC and trans.

Anna's vision of diversity is just lazy and backward. This brings nothing new to the table. A first east asian on the cover should be a celebration, even a solo cover, not sharing it with some white princess standing above her.

The diversity should be about race, age, size and more. There are so many talented acresses around the world whose stories and work are more interesting than Scarlet Johanssan, Angelababy and Lea Seydoux. And seriously if the look through entire China and they can only get Angelababy, there's a casting problem. I wish this to be a celebration of global and homegrown talent. A celebration of actors whose craft define their careers and bring them to the spot lights. If just feel like these covers underserve its propose. Anna isn't brave for making this, she just did it to fit the bill.

Runabout, Morgane07 and tigerrouge like this.
  10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Lol, so that's what Marc meant with the POC comment. Thought it was just a witty joke.

And agreed about Debicki being a reincarnation of Penn's 50s models!

11. luchang732

luchang732 New Member

Well...I have to say that as a Chinese I feel so ASHAMED to see angelababy on the cover of VOGUE US. Especially to be the first one. She has no talent in everything but plastic surgery. Her face can't not repersent our aesthetics either...OMG I just don't know what to say, really make my fking day. There are a lot of talented celebrities in China deserve this cover way much more than her.
    And at last I wanna know how much on earth did maria pay the casting director. So disappointed

Hafyiez wafa likes this.
  12. TZ001

TZ001 Active Member

I felt disappointed as well. Comparing to other ‘talents’ on the cover, Angelababy has no talent. This would be a perfect cover without her.

13. Aizanara

Aizanara Active Member

I'm here for Léa Seydoux :heart::blush:

IMO, they should have used someone other than Scarlett for the front cover. There's a hundred of new and talented actresses in the US (if you want to pick a white actress for instance).

anlabe32 likes this.
  14. phungnam96

phungnam96 Active Member

This is a pathetic attempt to copy Irving Penn.

15. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Double covers make me cringe.

16. TZ001

TZ001 Active Member

fold-out

17. KissMiss

KissMiss Well-Known Member

OMG! LEA <3 What a star! Hard to believe that she ended up on the cover of US Vogue before Vogue Paris. [Irrelevant to this thread but when you are an editor of Vogue in the country with the most exquisite actresses and completely ignore them... ]

I think Scarlet looks beautiful but I agree, she feels a bit random in this crop of actresses.

anlabe32, sixtdaily and Srdjan like this.
  18. liv4beauty

liv4beauty Member

Brie Larson should be in Scarlett’s spot.

19. octoberchild

octoberchild Active Member

MTE. But Brie didn’t wear Marchesa at last year’s Met Gala so no cover for her! Anna is so trashily tacky. It’s laughable at this point. Also where is Yalitza?

20. Karl Boucher

Karl Boucher Member

Holy sh*t. I'm Brazilian and I can say Bruna Marquezine (the girl in blue) is not a global talent at all. All she has done is dating Neymar (which gave her some instagram followers). She's an awful soap opera actress, not even pretty or intelligent.

TaylorBinque and Aizanara like this.