US Vogue February 2021 : Kamala Harris by Tyler Mitchell

GKJ is the epitome of embarrassment to pretend not knowing who is the stylist and trying to "objectively" defend the cover when she has been hugely responsible for this mess.

Yeah, I actually get 2nd embarrassment for her acting as if she never saw the cover, lol.
Would still like it if she'd run Vogue's fashion team but it looks like that would mean more Tyler Mitchell which, yeah, no. Not up for that.

Wonder what the clothing credits will look like? J Crew or something budget just to avoid Laura Ingrate from screaming 'see how elitist they are!?!', lol.

Maybe I’m just desensitized from bad Vogue covers, but I don’t feel like the first cover was all that bad and I find myself quite shocked at the outrage. It very much fits Kamala’s image that she presents to us all. Sure, she’s been shot better and more professionally. But this isn’t the worst thing ever nor does it even come close for me.

Reactions: KoV
I'm not sure there's an editorial. Seems like just the cover. Still hard to believe that converse image exists.
Why couldn't they straighten the backdrop? Or take out the clamps? Or properly align her? A mess all around.

Annie leibovitz with tonne goodman style would have been a wonderful cover !!! instead for this politically correct they must necessarily choose a black stylist and a black photographer, and the result is terrible, at least choose black photographers and stylists up to Vogue !!!!

Yeah, I actually get 2nd embarrassment for her acting as if she never saw the cover, lol.
Would still like it if she'd run Vogue's fashion team but it looks like that would mean more Tyler Mitchell which, yeah, no. Not up for that.

Wonder what the clothing credits will look like? J Crew or something budget just to avoid Laura Ingrate from screaming 'see how elitist they are!?!', lol.

on the second cover Michael Kors is tagged...

Both covers have no direction, she seems uncomfortable, maybe she is not a great poser and she needed help, in the case of Elle, putting her seated helped the situation. But overall, in those Vogue covers she seems a little insecure...

And this is the responsability of Vogue’s team, to get the picture and push a little until she feels free enough to get what they want. But the shoe was too big for the photographer and stylist

Last edited:
For people to think there's some sort of unseen masterplan behind every misstep that's made by Vogue... that's the reason why Wintour is still around.

But it's like conspiracy theories: forget the idea that lizards secretly control the world - the truly terrifying idea is that no-one is in control. That the people in charge don't know what they're doing, and they're just making it up as they go along. Nobody wants to think that about the world, so they go back to talking about the lizards.

It's the same with Anna Wintour, people need to believe she's a strategic genius, operating at a higher level that us mortals can only fail to comprehend - because if she isn't, then there's no structure, no point, no hope, nothing, in terms of magazines.

If you stopped to think about it, there are probably plenty of individuals who could step into the vacuum, but the cult of personality leaves no room for people to imagine this alternate reality.

I was the Gabriella’s comment in Instagram. Can anyone explain to me the difference between Sittings Editor and Fashion Editor/Stylist?

^Phyllis Posnick used to occasionally be Sittings Editor, as opposed to 'Fashion' editor for some of the portraits in US Vogue over the past two-three decades, even for some of Penn's shots. My understanding is that 'Sittings Editor' is the original term for stylist, given that the likes of Polly Mellen (I think?) used to refer to the title as their role when working on editorial during the 60s and 70s, when I'm pretty sure stylists didn't even get a credit in the magazine. However when US Vogue has been using this term latterly, I assume the 'sittings editor' just oversees the shoot, but doesn't necessarily provide the clothes - in most cases, the nature of the pictures are not fashion focused or feature subjects in their own clothes. I guess Kamala's team picked out the clothes...maybe?

Anna's reign over US Vogue is at the end of the line for me, and she's produced a b*llocks magazine for many years now, but the wire really feels like it's about to snap. Let's face it, Nina's very risky gamble last November worked out to Elle's advantage, and so a cover of the new US VP was always going to look like sloppy seconds, especially released so soon after Elle's issue. The thing is, Wintour used to care enough to turn a situation like the aforementioned in her favour by producing something elevated and aspirational. This is a no in every sense.

This is what nightmares are made of, and perfectly shows just how incredibly, and totally horrible US Vogue has been for a while now. But even more so since COVID-19!!

Thanks for always speaking the truth Miss D - don't change!

"Founded in 1908, Alpha Kappa Alpha is the first historically African American sorority, and its official colors, salmon pink and apple green, are iconic."

I hadn't seen it was noted earlier, but that's the explanation for the colors on the 1st one.

Last edited:
I think the reactions over those cover are interesting. One would think that a Vogue cover is an official administrative photo...

Suddenly, a woman who wanted to be seen as relatable sees the world expect some level of formality from her public image.

It’s also interesting to see all the layers of Social Media. Anna has been very strategic in having all black casts involved in her black coverstars. This time obviously, the backlash comes from the fact that the photographer is a man. It’s interesting to see that his aesthetic has never been questioned until now. I guess it’s only a matter of time before Pavarotti shoot for US Vogue.

I wonder if the reactions would have been the same if the EIC was Edward.

this magazine has gotten worse since Anna had to send away 3 of the 5 big photographers of Vogue Us Testino, Demarchelier, Weber .. then Peter Lindbergh's death was added .. And she was left alone with Annie leibovitz .... she had to find new photographers but without a strong personality ..... but she could have sent on others who have contributed in recent years with her ... Mcdean, Steven Klein, David Sims, Mert Marcus, Inez vinoodh, Tim Walker .. ... rejoin old friends like Steven Meisel and Artur elgort .... in recent years I also remember that excellent work by Karim sadli alasdair mclellan Josh olins .... and gradually incorporate new photographers such as Jamie Hawkesworth, Ethan James Green Tyler Mitchell with editorials not cover !!!!

Kamala is not the FLOTUS (regardless of her political stance, I still think Melania should have landed a cover if Ann dares to put her on Vogue) and Kamala belongs more to Vanity Fair, just like AOC!

So you’re telling me she doesn’t have an editorial inside? Unless Vogue scrapped it altogether, her team must have known that the shoot was just for the cover. Based on the September issue, there’s a particular time when the cover will be shot and its usually done first before the editorial proper. This was not a case of “editorial image made the cover”. This was no Rooney Mara cover.

That being said, since the shoot was only for the cover, none of her staff questioned the styling? None of them questioned why her whole body was being photographed while she’s just wearing chucks? Makes you think it was planned ‘no? Unless Dame Wintour is so powerful that even the first woman VP, the highest elected female official in the United States of America, will yield to her demands.

I see a calculated gimmick a mile away. This is not your ordinary Vogue cover. Vogue did not do Kamala dirty, Vogue played according to Kamala’s playbook. Do you honestly think Vogue would risk losing its connections to the White House, and most especially, their connection with the woman who could be the first female POTUS?

I was the Gabriella’s comment in Instagram. Can anyone explain to me the difference between Sittings Editor and Fashion Editor/Stylist?

In simple terms, a sittings editor is in charge of non-editorial fashion features. For example the magazine needs to interview and photograph a Broadway actress. Since the focus here is on the personality and not the fashion, a sittings editor is used and not a fashion editor. They are there essentially to dress the subject.

A multi-page feature that’s fashion-focused—spring 2021 trends or a spring coats story—is a fashion editorial and requires a fashion editor. They do not necessarily have to be stylist of the shoot but it’s their vision that gets executed.

As you can imagine, these two titles are interchangeable depending on need—Tonne Goodman and has been credited as both fashion editor and sittings editor during her time in Vogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->