US Vogue January 2019 : Priyanka Chopra by Annie Leibovitz

Well this i can get behind, a beautiful cover in the vein of the ones they used to do more than decades ago. She looks beautiful, and thank god is not wearing her wedding dress!!

Not even bothered that he is in so many shots with her inside, although i would prefer for it to be just her. This actually feels more like the Dec cover offering, then the one with Emily, to me.

The cover is absolutely stunning, Priyanka looks gorgeous and it works for a January cover. The editorial however, or to be more specific- the pictures with Nick- are cringe. Why are they milking their wedding so much? It could have been such a beautiful editorial, but they messed it up big time.

The release of the digital cover just made this cover cheap. Beautiful cover yes, annoying and usual editorial. I don't care about this couple if they are really in love not my business at all but Nick Jonas has absolutely zero charisma and ruined everything. The best shots are when she is alone and the worst ones are when his face appeared and they showed zero connection. Sad that Priyanka needed to be married to be Vogue worthy.

Cover is
S T U N N I N G.

I'm in love with it. And also I'm one of those "white gays" who finds Nick Jonas incredibly hot, so I'm here for the editorial, as well. Though - truth be told, I would have preferred it just be her in all her resplendent, glamourous glory.

She seems like a classy woman, and gorgeous no doubt. But the way she is wh*ring her relationship with this Jonas brother out is insufferable.

This is immeasurably better than what I expected to see when I clicked on this thread. She looks gorgeous, I absolutely love how it almost looks like a candid shot. I love the gold. This is just absolutely beautiful.

I would've chosen the shot of her in the gold dress (can anyone ID what brand this is?), and cropped it. But this is easily one of Anna's best covers of the past three years and quite possibly, Annie's best since...well, I don't know how long :lol:

I would've chosen the shot of her in the gold dress (can anyone ID what brand this is?), and cropped it. But this is easily one of Anna's best covers of the past three years and quite possibly, Annie's best since...well, I don't know how long :lol:

The gold dress is Oscar de la Renta Spring 2019 RTW. :flower:

If the front and back covers are firmly sticked to the rest of the pages, and if the magazine turns out to be without any physical defects (like their January 2017 issue with Alicia Vikander when every cover had a tiny crease somewhere above the V letter in the logo), then I might be getting this issue. They really could improve their printing habits a bit.

If the front and back covers are firmly sticked to the rest of the pages, and if the magazine turns out to be without any physical defects (like their January 2017 issue with Alicia Vikander when every cover had a tiny crease somewhere above the V letter in the logo), then I might be getting this issue. They really could improve their printing habits a bit.

I only buy the March, September and December issues of US Vogue without fail. The rest of the months would either need a strong cover or content to sway me. For some reason January covers over the past few years always won me over. But the cover paper is really very cheap, aside from the fact that the spine is wafer thin as well. I happened to have liked that specific cover with Alicia a lot and, as with every cover I adore, tried to preserve the front and back with full sticky tape. It was an absolute nightmare and I ruined it because the paper was so flimsy. Ten quid down the drain! Ended up having to get another one and at the very least only seal the edges.

She seems like a classy woman, and gorgeous no doubt. But the way she is wh*ring her relationship with this Jonas brother out is insufferable.

How is this wedding different from the countless other celebrity weddings Vogue has covered? You can not like her as a person if you want, or Nick Jonas, but she's a Bollywood star with worldwide renown. I guarantee you she doesn't need a B-rate pop star to up her profile. And to accuse her of "wh*ring it out" is such a double standard when the groom has been equally effusive about the occasion, on social media and elsewhere. Just let people have nice things...

SO over Annie Liebovitz... but LOVE Priyanka on this cover!!

How is this wedding different from the countless other celebrity weddings Vogue has covered? You can not like her as a person if you want, or Nick Jonas, but she's a Bollywood star with worldwide renown. I guarantee you she doesn't need a B-rate pop star to up her profile. And to accuse her of "wh*ring it out" is such a double standard when the groom has been equally effusive about the occasion, on social media and elsewhere. Just let people have nice things...

I wouldn't use the w**** word to describe what Priyanka has done to get this cover but she has been in the driver's seat. Priyanka has campaigned and networked and social climbed for years to get this cover. If the Jonas brother was marrying someone else, he would not be on the cover. This is all Priyanka's doing.

Regarding the bold, this argument has been made before and it doesn't matter for moving copies on American newsstands. Yes, Priyanka has fame/a high profile in Bollywood but how many people in India are going to be purchasing US Vogue in India because Priyanka is on the cover?

Is that going to make up for all the people in America who will avoid this cover because 1. they don't care about Priyanka because they haven't seen any of her Bollywood movies, or listened to her music (lol) or watched her show or movies (which we know Americans have not because those projects flopped) - she is not relevant to them, not relevant enough to warrant buying a magazine in which print media is dying and they'd rather use the money to buy coffee at Starbucks or 2. they're turned off by all the attention this wedding has garnered for two B-listers (and that's me being generous and yes, that includes the B-rate pop star giving her some relevance and press because she hasn't gotten it for her American projects, that's for sure).

And I don't mean to be an ugly American or anything of the sort, but facts matter. There are not going to be enough international sales to ultimately compensate for the lack of sales in America and make this a profitable issue. And that's also Priyanka's fault - had she just stuck to Vogue for info on the wedding/relationship, maybe she could've sold more copies but she had to cover People in America too. Anyone interested in the wedding/their relationship have already bought People and it's in their recycling bin at this point. Why buy Vogue on top of that?

I wouldn't use the w**** word to describe what Priyanka has done to get this cover but she has been in the driver's seat. Priyanka has campaigned and networked and social climbed for years to get this cover. If the Jonas brother was marrying someone else, he would not be on the cover. This is all Priyanka's doing.

Regarding the bold, this argument has been made before and it doesn't matter for moving copies on American newsstands. Yes, Priyanka has fame/a high profile in Bollywood but how many people in India are going to be purchasing US Vogue in India because Priyanka is on the cover?

And I don't mean to be an ugly American or anything of the sort, but facts matter.

I am admittedly butting into your discussion here but... kind of surprised by these comments and so-called facts. Vogue constantly puts questionable people on its covers, or B-listers whom we deem 'undeserving.' Priyanka, however, (whether one cares to admit it or not) is an international superstar, not some B-list celebrity. A Vogue cover isn't always determined by success or ratings of the celeb's entertainment vehicle (be it film, tv show, music), they are determined by their fame level.

Neither Vogue nor most magazines care THAT greatly for their magazine sales anymore; they are more concerned with the attention their brand receives on social media. THAT is how these publications will stay afloat in a new digital age, by advertisers spending money and flocking to their digital platform be it via vogue.com or instagram. Money talks and Vogue's gamble on Priyanka seems to have paid off handsomely; it is being lauded on the web and I'm guessing earned Vogue many new social media/website followers.

Furthermore, while both People and Vogue may have covered parts of their wedding, they are not identical in coverage or angle.

Is that going to make up for all the people in America who will avoid this cover because 1. they don't care about Priyanka because they haven't seen any of her Bollywood movies, or listened to her music (lol) or watched her show or movies (which we know Americans have not because those projects flopped) - she is not relevant to them, not relevant enough to warrant buying a magazine in which print media is dying and they'd rather use the money to buy coffee at Starbucks or 2. they're turned off by all the attention this wedding has garnered for two B-listers (and that's me being generous and yes, that includes the B-rate pop star giving her some relevance and press because she hasn't gotten it for her American projects, that's for sure).

And I don't mean to be an ugly American or anything of the sort, but facts matter. There are not going to be enough international sales to ultimately compensate for the lack of sales in America and make this a profitable issue. And that's also Priyanka's fault - had she just stuck to Vogue for info on the wedding/relationship, maybe she could've sold more copies but she had to cover People in America too. Anyone interested in the wedding/their relationship have already bought People and it's in their recycling bin at this point. Why buy Vogue on top of that?

I'm not going to take issue with your logic, because most of your points here are valid. My bigger concern is the narrative framing that Priyanka is some sort of criminally egotistical mastermind (see: that egregious article that was pulled from The Cut) and Nick is just some innocent bystander under her spell. I'm not saying you personally hold this point of view (I don't believe you do) but it reeks of "snake charmer" orientalism. Whether or not she wants to churn the PR machine is her call, but why the complete demonization of the woman while the man gets a pass?

Review: 102 Pages

After a few of those dull as dishwater Chanel ads with Penelope, the issue moves swiftly to Anna's letter. It seems they've decided to make this the couples issue. But as she explains, and here I absolutely believe her, Vogue decided months ago on giving Priyanka the cover. I now think it may have been before she got the Allure cover, and subsequent feature in the August issue. And there are definitely two different sittings with two sets of credits. In fact, I'm convinced that Priyanka may have been originally slated to appear on the December cover, but due to the wedding (or Mary Poppins dollars) got shifted to January. The styling for the museum segment? Vogue doesn't go ultra glamorous for January. Anyway, it's as though Anna knew what type of chatter would take place on here because she also explains why she went with Priyanka.

The rest of the couples in the issue consists of Wozniacki and her man shot by Daniel Jackson and styled by Posnick, Erdem and Philip Joseph styled by Lucinda with photography by Paul Wetherell. Felicity Jones join them in the shot. And a NY chef and her partner. The storyline behind these articles centre around how they met.

There's also a fashion story shot featuring the leads from Barry Jenkins' new movie. Quite pleasant and adorable at face value, but essentially very Tumblr/Petra Collins-esque. The entire edit flows very well except one shot of him carrying her under a bridge. Visually that one just sticks out. A qualified photographer would have instantly notice that.

The theatre edit of the month is as usual shot by Leibovitz, and features Jake Gyllenhaal and Tom Sturridge styled by Posnick. It's a straight-to-the-point portrait image. Since Posnick's departure, I've found myself drawn to these cinematic theatre shots in US Vogue. They're so interesting and dense, actually makes me wish I could see the play.

The long-form beauty story covers (pun intended) the new wave of women who embrace armpits and leg hair. Doesn't come with a styled image, I'm afraid, but a Matisse artwork. The sole fashion edit in this issue is styled by Lucinda, shot by Josh Olins and features Adut Akech. I'm sure many of you can picture what it will looks like just by reading Lucinda x Josh Olins, but honestly, the only part of it that's deja-vu is Lucinda's styling. Otherwise it's such a charming throwback to the US Vogue studio edit template. Loads of smiling, lively posing, some jumping and fierce poses. I think in Adut we may well have a cute update to Trentini, Edie or Karlie.

I feel that with this issue, there are some flashes of a slightly different US Vogue that we've been used to. A Vogue with a more mature sensibility and a marked balance between celebs, artists and society figures which can be gathered from the styling and sujects selected. I like that the direction is so defined. The writing is punchy and done with more care, the selection of edits and images in this issue mostly stays true to the magazine's aesthetic. Kudos to Josh, especially, for removing the grittiness in favour of some gloss from his photography. And for once I actually enjoyed VLife. Still think the title sucks, and the layout could be improved, but for this issue they've decided to unearth some unpublished shots from previous edits. Only three though - Carey from her couture cover years ago, Scatlett Johannson from her swimsuit one where she remarked something cringey on the cover, and I can't seem to recall where Elle Fanning's outtake comes from. Anyway, it was such a refreshing, yet belt-tightening, initiative which added a sense of production value to a section which is mostly filled with candid shots.

With this issue, as low as it is on page count, I'm convinced that with a bigger budget, Anna could still produce a decent issue to silence her critics.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndresKlayr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->