US Vogue May 2023 by Annie Leibovitz

Thanks to 90's nostalgia, it gets forgotten that Claudia was the ultimate 'one look' girl. I can remember her Chanel campaigns and catwalk appearances very well, and she's always been a beautiful woman, but her work is like someone sitting at a grand piano and playing the same note over and over again.

Transformable into... someone with the same haircut, the same hair colour, the same beauty styling, the same facial expressions. You would be hard pressed to find any image of her where she didn't look like the same person just in a different set of clothes. Even Cindy Crawford was occasionally styled in a tomboy manner.

I went online and did a search for 'Claudia Schiffer wig' to see if there was a vast body of work that I'd forgotten about, and I don't remember the Lagerfeld shoot for Stern Fotographie in 2010 where she's in blackface with an afro (amongst other shots). Imagine this happening today!

So I take it all back.

2p8cmjf8

(ashadedviewonfashion.com)

Claudia, like any other good model, was transformable upon request. what really matters is if she was able to embody said transformation. I believe she was.
from blond bombshell, her most requested side, to ice queen.

Karl knew how to get her best - he photographed her countless times, she was his muse. to have an homage edition without her is completely out of touch. Claudia could’ve easily replaced any other model on this cover and it would have made 1000% more sense.

let’s see if she shows up at the MET - last one she was, was at the Valentino one as his guest and muse…

After amount of criticism cover is getting, this video seems a clean up move from Vogue's PR team.

It's both because it's a flare up, they're not exclusive to lyme disease but any chronic illness, which will always be impacted by the immune system, which in turn is impacted by stress [from the more conscious, 'freaking out about work/money' stress, to the less manageable one that stems from battling another illness, pain, allergic reaction, you name it]. To give you an example, I get pretty bad migraines a couple times a year, if I don't act as soon as I start feeling it, no amount of ibuprofen will bring it down and the pain tends to be so bad that it's always followed by an IBS flare-up and within a day or so: a fcking cold.

I think she left her root canal infection untreated and was probably taking painkillers to keep going.. which is stupid but also very common, most people feel something in their teeth and proceed to ignore it until they're in major trouble..

Anyway, mediocre cover. They're all Anna's strategic choices that have everything to do with Vogue's agenda on numbers, commodity activism, social media submissiveness, her eternally vanilla understanding of beauty, and so little to do with Karl.

That being said, Chanel under Karl was a gigantic snoozefest in his last decade. The Aschenbach-Tadzio dynamics in his castings, where you wouldn't see the end of his obsession with some really charmless model [Baptiste, Brad Kroening and his son]... I don't miss that. He did have a very defined vision of the Chanel woman right till the end, from Ciara Nugent and Anouck to Grace Elizabeth and even Lily Rose, they all had that elegant, flapper-ish vibe that made it instantly recognisable, but we all know that for a project like this, he would've delivered that and squeezed Brad's son right in the middle. :woozy:

What I really don't understand is Naomi lol, that's just random as hell. I can't imagine someone seriously thinking 'what about.... Naomi?', so I'll just stick to my conspiracy theory that she has some political dirt on the industry's major players, and that's how she forces herself into every project where she makes absolutely no sense and is not needed and is out of theme but that she firmly believes she needs to pee mark like a cat and be a part of to teach the new generations but especially the new models, who is in command and who needs to approve them first lol. More than iCoNiC, she's the Karen of modeling who does succeed with the manager every single time..

I was thinking the exact same thing about Naomi the other day. I get the feeling that she is trying to build a legacy as the one supermodel with the most consistent bookings but how on earth does she get everyone on board? Someone very influential in the industry has to be a hostage. I became interested in fashion photography when Freja Beha ruled Chanel and anything lensed by Karl but I'm not surprised that American Vogue likes to ignore her. Let's face it, even Brad Koenig's son would have made more sense on this cover than Naomi Campbell.

Regarding Claudia Schiffer, of course she should have been there. There is absolutely no question also regarding her versatility. I agree that she is often styled and photographed the same (boring Uptown Girl) way and maybe upon that's her request but I could easily find editorial images showing her range. She may not be Linda Evangelista in terms of mixing things up but her Chanel campaigns alone should prove that she can model and remains relevant.

At the end of the day, Anna Wintour wins the race. People talk and talk and talk while the cover and editorial are both mediocre at best, nothing memorable about any aspect of this questionable celebration/tribute. We all know what Vogue is about these days (and somehow partly was already) and these poor results are nothing surprising.

The other editorial is nice, though, which was my main reason to comment here. Nothing groundbreaking but a real fashion story, brilliantly executed.

I just noticed that is current fendi and chanel on the cover. Why would you waste our time with that ugly crap. I was literally wondering why all this stuff looks like junk - well duh. Its clearly not karl because its not new and the proportions are off.

Also why are people forgetting Naomi and Epstein.

i'm not surprised Anna Wintour doesn't like Freja Beha ( also would be nice to see on the cover Anja, Abbey, Mica, Wixson, Baptiste)

What planet are we living on that Baptiste would be anywhere near US Vogue in 2023! :rofllaughing::tearsofjoy:

I mean, US Vogue always knew who were Karl's favorite girls, and instead they put what Anna always loved. Also I'm thinking is quite insulting to wait more than 20 years to put Amber and Shalom on the cover again, being both a favorite of her as Claudia as well. At least there's a inch of nostalgia for Vogue's true identity, but it clash with its modern state.

(PD: reading a lot the words crap and trash here, hahaha).

Ok, so this is still... a current issue of Vogue. It's not a piece of memorabilia, despite the theme. They need to put current clothes from advertisers on the cover, they need to mostly put people with some relevance or who are still working on the cover as well. It's all just hyping up the Met Gala (and the lucrative accompanying digital coverage) Karl also spent many decades in the industry, but everyone in the comments seem to define him pretty much exclusively by 90s and early 2000s Chanel. Didn't he and Claudia have a falling out? If you don't like the photos, that's perfectly valid. But how many times do we need to hear "where's so-and-so... he liked her more than so-and-so"

This whole obsession with models is a symptom of clothes being boring. I literally dk any of these people except claudia schiffer. I also cant really tell the difference between models to know why anna wouldnt like one.

Maybe the debate started because some -or one- of the girls, even muses of Karl, are so cringe to represent him, hahaha. He worked with thousands of girls during his time at Chanel, Fendi and Chloé. Would have been nice more stronger and legendary names to appear on the cover, but you know, you can't avoid the hype from social media in 2023. Okay, the cover isn't bad or a disaster, but the choices are to think further. Also, if they want to represent his last years, the names aren't the right ones, like his career ended in 2014. To me late Karl is Vittoria, Rihanne, Adut, Luna and Grace, and is not there. Also is the money and talented group of fashion industry right now.

Transformable into... someone with the same haircut, the same hair colour, the same beauty styling, the same facial expressions. You would be hard pressed to find any image of her where she didn't look like the same person just in a different set of clothes. Even Cindy Crawford was occasionally styled in a tomboy manner.

I went online and did a search for 'Claudia Schiffer wig' to see if there was a vast body of work that I'd forgotten about, and I don't remember the Lagerfeld shoot for Stern Fotographie in 2010 where she's in blackface with an afro (amongst other shots). Imagine this happening today!

So I take it all back.

2p8cmjf8

(ashadedviewonfashion.com)
Veruschka- a fellow German did the same thing in the 60’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darvesh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->