US Vogue October 2024 : Lady Gaga by Ethan James Green

Even if "The Joker 2" is already getting slated by critics, her performance is being credited as one of the only good things about the film (I confess I haven't even seen the first one yet), so I guess the timing of this cover is perfect. I'm not a huge Gaga fan but I will say that she was outstanding in "A Star Is Born" and she has a few bops so I think she's earned her flowers and I don't mind her magazine appearances.

Something about this cover is sloppy though, like a half hearted attempt at a more "high fashion" portrait. I get the same feeling from the editorial images. I like Ethan's work with Marie-Amelie; I guess she knows how to enhance his Meiselisms so their work together looks like an honourable copy :lol:. These pictures are just not it though...

i came in this thread ready to swing lol but ms gaga looks good, this is a really nice editorial. i find it odd how, for the past few years, she's so reluctant on owning up her fashion """credentials""" despite being really close with and appreciated by a lot of ppl in the industry

Yes, it's amazing. It looks very her but different. She seems more grounded, less in character.

Congrats Anna for being less of a lazy btch this month.

The madonna stan being the first to comment. We love to see it. :rofl:

I actually like the main cover.

I love Gaga, but this is a mess. She looks like a gremlin. Making a model look gorgeous is easy, but making a real person shine? That’s where the real talent comes in, and clearly, he has no skill for that.

The full length cover is great but the close up one looks amateur. The story itself is ok. EJG is improving as a photographer but still lacks that magic touch Meisel had. His editorials always have a lot of throw away images with a couple of gems whereas in a Meisel story, every image would pack a punch.

4 covers in 13 years feels very small. I'm not a huge Gaga fan (I would love to!), but I can't ignore the great talent she is, and all the love she gets not only from the fans, but also her pairs. She's old school, a complete artist. I loved her collab with The Rolling Stones. Her voice is pure heaven. It's not that easy to achieve that respect from the best ones. I was so happy when she made it during the Oscars. From Just Dance to this it's a whole evolution. And as a fashion force she has all the elements to be iconic. I know the word icon brings opinions here and there, but looking back Gaga is someone that deserves that title.

005xdla2gy1htd06e2f4hj30zk18hdre-jpg.1303668

This particular photo doesn’t scream Meisel as EJG usual works but it actually looks like EJG works when he first start as a photographer. I remember his early works are not that Meisel-y

The first four editorials has the same exact facial expression. Maybe that's one of the factors that made the entire story seem lacking. Aside from that, the fashion direction is the strongest here. Gaga can pull the most eclectic styling because
it's her brand and ethos.

This is also 2010's rooted for some reason. It reminds me of Vogue Italia.

This particular photo doesn’t scream Meisel as EJG usual works but it actually looks like EJG works when he first start as a photographer. I remember his early works are not that Meisel-y
He should stick to ripping off Meisel.

US Vogue is not where any photographer should be learning how to do things, it's where they should be after they've done their apprenticeship, gone through their growing pains, had a crisis of confidence, considered a career change, tried a few things contrary to their usual style, and then finally found what works for them and can deliver it on a consistent basis.

We used to bemoan this about models who started out by getting US Vogue cover stories without having learned how to model through working their way up from the bottom.

I can see how it happens - there's nowhere to 'start out' these days because most magazines are gone, photography is digital and the lessons gleaned from using film are long forgotten, and everything relies on how well recognised your name is on the internet, which now counts for more than the actual finished result.

I like them both. I prefer the second one better. Overall she looks amazing.

It's good for a Gaga cover. I like that this is darker toned than her other covers for Vogue, which used pinks and pastels.

We haven't seen the film yet, so those saying this is a boring cover should silence themselves. One thing about Anna, she's gonna get an actress with a good movie role on that cover before that film drops. Advanced screening teas, clock it.

It took 10 years to Meisel to make his debut cover for US Vogue (he started in 1982). These new talents go straight, there's not so much time after their first editorial. Don't get me wrong, I like most of the things that Ethan made for Anna, but I agree he still so young and building an identity. Better than some new photographers, but still, there's something extra he needs to add.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dafraz117
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->