US Vogue 'The Digital Cover' January 2019 : Priyanka Chopra & Nick Jonas by Annie Leibovitz

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Of course it's tacky, what do you expect from a couple who has been milking their wedding from the moment they got engaged!

But this truly horrible digital cover says it all. Octoberchild just got every single (well made) argument confirmed by this release! This put's Vogue, but most importantly Wintour in a new level of low. And guess who looks even better? Yup, Mr. Enninful, i would even take his bad W shared cover of this nonsense, something i never think I would say when it came out!

modela, tigerrouge and octoberchild like this.
  2. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="LastNight, post: 30496733, member: 138239"US Vogue is all over the place. It's lost it's prestige, it's lost it's identity.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. This cover is so poor...2007 The September Issue Anna wouldn't even give this shot the time of day for an editorial, never mind a cover! How times have changed.

modela and YohjiAddict like this.
  3. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Active Member

Couldn't they have done the GIF gimmick in a more sophisticated manner? In Anna's words "let's lift it."

modela likes this.
  4. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Wow, that glittery masthead is.. something else. And Google Pixel. And a wedding promotion. It all feels like a really bad midlife crisis.

modela and Benn98 like this.
  5. octoberchild

octoberchild Active Member

Thank you for the acknowledgment. I've already said what I had to say about this disaster so I don't have anything else to add other than it's feel good to be right about all of this! But yes, I agree, Edward's shared cover doesn't look as bad after all compared to this cover.

modela and Miss Dalloway like this.
  6. liv4beauty

liv4beauty Member

Terrible. This is People magazine. Not Vogue.

modela and Miss Dalloway like this.
  7. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

^ I would go lower, this is OK! Magazine level, remember when tabloids like that used to do this, while Anna Wintour was screaming; " To be in Vogue, HAS to mean something!"?! Yeah, those days are gone!

vogue28, liv4beauty, modela and 2 others like this.
  8. celloiof

celloiof New Member

I feel personally disrespected by this.
    Leibovitz, really? Does Vogue own you some money and you want to make them sink? Do you hate Anna? Do you hate fashion?
    If this is the selection I can't picture the discarded images. This is barely Instagram feed level, leave alone a VOGUE COVER.
    My theory is they want to make Vogue US so bad that the first edition under new EiC will be a blockbuster because "oh, it's the glorious comeback of style", kind like Vogue UK dec.2017.

modela likes this.
  9. khyrk

khyrk Oh Yeah!

2008/2009/2010 gif realness

10. bluebanter

bluebanter Active Member

no

mikel likes this.
  11. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

OMG this is COMICAL!

WOW! I cannot even deal with how embarrassing this is for everyone involved.

Priyanka is just not fashion, sorry. And neither is Nick Jonas. But it's been pretty obvious that Priyanka has been campaigning hard for this...what with always showing up to the Met Gala in some tacky, over the top get-up. So messy. So desperate.

And the glittery gif!? It's just insane! Hahahaha

modela likes this.
  12. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I’m tired of Leibovitz’s work for Vogue. The magic isn’t there anymore...
    Anna being relevant is more than doing those silly nonsense « digital covers ». I don’t know who is supposed to be impressed by it.
    Ok we understand that you’ll never leave Vogue but at least, put some real effort into it!

In times of crisis, it’s the opportunity to make things better, to offer the best product, the best representation of your vision.

As for the couple itself. I’m not shocked...We have seen worse at US Vogue and at Vogue period.

dfl-001, modela and Benn98 like this.
  13. phungnam96

phungnam96 Active Member

*poking my eyes*

14. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Active Member

Wait.... is this some sort of online exclusive, and they don't have the actual newsstand cover? I couldn't care less about a digital edition, but the gifs are so hokey I really do think the people who signed off on this a Vogue should be embarrassed.

Also I feel like the general public is extremely unbothered re: these two getting married, so I don't know why their publicity teams are selling it so hard.

modela likes this.
  15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Uhm, sorry. No. This digital cover exercise is bad. No two ways about it. It's bad mainly due to the execution. The cheesy gif masthead, corny second cover. Also, the tackiness that is Nick Jonas. But next to the shared Hollywood cover AND feature with one magazine on the brink of extinction, and another oddmark edition? Please. At least this has been commisioned for and will appear only in Vogue by a legacy photographer. End result notwithstanding. And even there I'd say her OG shots falls in line with the Vogue standard. Even if you ignored the fact that Nicole/Margot's cover was shared, there was still the awful edit and head-scratching coverlines. So no, imo Edward doesn't 'look good' because of this.

We can debate the merits/demerits of Priyanka Chopra on US Vogue until we're blue in the face, as is the case with 99% of cover subjects anyway.

modela, Blayne266 and MON like this.
  16. PierreGotha

PierreGotha Member

The editorial looks worse.

17. [Piece Of Me]

[Piece Of Me] Active Member

Wow.. just wow. I am speechless.

While I always applaud next cover stars, especially woc who are not Rihanna, Lupita or Beyonce (I love all three of them, but we all know they are being overused by Vogue), this is just tacky. It almost feels sad to me, in 2019 when Vogue is trying to be all 'woke and feminist' and just give a cover to someone because they are getting married. What kind of message is that? I would have loved to see Priyanka scoring a cover any other month because of her own career and the things she has done. Not just as 'the wife of a Jonas Brother', come to think of it- since when did Nick Jonas ever did something worthwhile to become a cover object? No shade, but I feel like he hasn't been relevant since 2008.

You just know Vogue has a problem when we are STILL waiting for Viola or Kerry to score a cover and we just get this. Maybe if either of them got married to Zac Efron that would assure them one??

dfl-001, octoberchild and modela like this.
  18. MON

MON Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    giphy.com

Also, all T no shade, you can't compare ORIGINAL content with SHARED content. Anna's insistent terrible original cover choices showed firm leadership. Edward's shared cover showed a yes-man. The amount of excuses we're willing to put out just to throw Anna under the bus and put Edward into center stage amazes me. And why was Edward even relevant here? (Also since we're at it, as if Edward's ZAYN Digital cover was any better. Studio shot, black and white, Vogue-Mania in the background. Talk about creativity)

Anyway, I'll wait for the main cover to fully judge this. The main cover is no excuse.

Was he even relevant then. Oooop. jk.

19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I didn't know this. The dress will without a doubt be on the cover then...

20. gazebo

gazebo Well-Known Member

I'm definitely buying this!!
    So I can put it in the trash can where it belongs.