Valentino S/S 10 Paris

I love, love it! The shoes are so cute, so pretty ^_^

Here's Hilary Alexander's review in The Telegraph:

With orchid shapes superimposed on the walls, orchid prints on the dresses and petals of fabric enfolding the models’ bodies, the Valentino collection for spring/summer 2010 was as precious and exotic as a tropical flower.

In this, their second ready-to-wear collection for the de luxe brand, the designers, Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli, defined a femininity so delicate, the models appeared like will ‘o the wisps; fragile fairies, in diaphanous fabrics. They were balanced on spike heels as slender as a thread of gossamer, but almost appeared to float. Some of the shoes, embellished with coral-like adornments of lace and tulle, were specially created by the London-based milliner, Philip Treacy. Others were flat and adorned with satin ribbons.

The colours were of the palest hues; the merest hint of lilac, blush-pink, buttermilk-lemon, beige, as transparent as a moth, and grey as light smoke. The fabrics - silk, organza, chiffon and tulle – were semi-sheer and appeared like clouds around the girls’ bodies.

Flounces framed the face; ruffles defined the short, balletic skirts; and frills cascaded down the lengthlines of slim, column gowns. Shimmering confections of lace, beading, crystals and mesh were transformed into loose tunics, worn over the tutu-like skirts.

In more contemporary fashion, these luxury T-shirts, often backless, came with skinny jeans in silk chiffon over lace, while orchid-print, organza tops, fastened at the base of the spine, over bare skin, were worn with appliquéd, leather jeans. A leather biker jacket and matching mini-skirt, in cappuccino-coloured leather, embellished with leather flowers, appeared slightly more robust and suited to real-life.

Black made an occasional appearance, most sumptuously in a strapless, silk-chiffon, all-in-one, layered over a black, lace body.

The entire collection was a departure for the Chiuri-Piccioli partnership, in that there was little evidence of recourse to the Valentino archives.

One appreciates their desire to move away from accusations of replicating the brand’s famous, jet set signatures. But the pale palette could have done with just one shot of Valentino red.

That's what I don't get! Alessandra was doing the same thing and did it better. I do not understand how Valentino likes this, but not Alessandra's vision.

clever strategy. you do archive reissues for a couple of seasons then you start throwing nonsense to the catwalk.
so do they expect to be praised for not literally following valentino's path or what? :ninja:

the shoes are beyond. no platforms! but again that's just Philip Treacy

team alessandra indeed!

its not valentino but some of it is pretty, the ones where there werent so many ruffles :lol:

It doesnt look summer or neither pret a porter
I like it...but where's the easy wearability in this?
I mean can you pair any of these jackets with a pair of jeans??

Leeroi said:
Alessandra barely lasted a year. These two have lasted longer than her, so he must be liking it.

Um yeah cause they are sycophants and part of "the family".

I bet if one of them has kids Val or Giammetti are the godfathers.

Most of the pieces are overly ruffled...if I can say so.

But I love that nudey top on Constance, the dress with the beehive kind of texture print and the longer white-lace like dress

Actually I loved the first dresses and the shoes.
But Freja´s last outfit :innocent:

This is a good, pretty and very vacuous collection. Its a diffusion of the Fall Haute Couture and I like it for that.

However, what Alessandra was doing was using the Valentino aesthetic to design modern clothing. What these designers are doing is decorating clothing and using embellishments to distract from the cut and drape of the clothing.

And is it just me, or is this the first Pret-a-Porter Valentino collection without a red dress in the finale? :unsure:

Not really into it, some of it is a wee bit sloppy looking.
I do like the chilly colors though it keeps it from looking like a SS collection.

it's a bit sloppy, i see past marchesa, and there's no red dress, not a good collection, very disappointed

Beautiful collection but i don't see valentino's vision in these clothes :cry:

I know it is very painful to lose someone you love, but it's time to let go of what happened to Alessandra.

Yes, she's a better designer than these two dolts. But it's not their fault she was fired. It's Valentino and the business side of the company. Quite often when one designer steps down, tfsers rather pull out their teeth than give the new designers a chance. I honestly don't want the Valentino threads to turn into the Gucci (or Chloe) ones where people b*tch and moan about how they miss Tom Ford or Phoebe.

Now as far as the collection. It's not as bad as I expected. Their first two collections for the house were horrific, however couture, and now this, aren't so bad. It is hypocritical that this design team is allowed to create looks so un-Valentino, when Alessandra wasn't. But again I don't think that's the design team's fault. Alessandra was doomed from the start. Valentino saw a talented designer who was fired from Gucci, they wanted to pull the same stunt.

However back to the collection, it just needs a few refinements. A few dresses could have been edited out, and better tailoring could have been done to some of the outfits to make the silhouette cleaner. But it's not bad, and I must admit I like it.

Wow, I haven't looked at Valentino with any excitement in years but this is SO gorgeous!.. the use of lace is definitely a house classic but it feels so relevant, perhaps because it's done with such honesty and charm.. I absolutely love this, definitely the best show of the last two days. :heart:

Lol, I sense so much bitterness in this thread.

The only thing that I truly despise here is that last look on Freja. It's something you'd expect from Zac Posen, not from Valentino. The rest of it though is pretty great.

Oh yeah and I do wish there was at least one piece is RED.

Just saw the whole collection and I can't say I hate it. Um yeah that's pretty much it.

And I agree what have they got against red. We can all see that they are trying to do something different by stealing I mean following a new path or whatever but just one red dress would be nice.

It's very pretty...
but c'mon! Alessandra was doing the same thing, only better... what's up with that?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->