Vogue Italia May 2012 : Linda Evangelista by Steven Meisel

This is VI's best main editorial of 2012 but that is damning it with faint praise. The concept and styling are good / great... the energy / vibe is great, I feel like I am in the club - Meisel and Co. did a fantastic job on that front. Linda is mixed in the ed, her posing, while somewhat redundant, is great, she owns the room but she is not (or cannot) deliver facially in a few of the images - I suspect that Meisel had to use camera techniques to compensate. I, and many others, have noticed this in some of her other work, and it is not always a showstopper for me, but here it affects the result, and what should be a great editorial is just good / almost great.

It is interesting to read your comment. Despite I'm a big fan of Linda, I also feel sometimes that her expressions fall below expectations, lack inspiration and life. This is valid both for her early work and current pictures, but more frequent in her work by Meisel. This is even more surprising that there are editorials where she is a true actress... I'm tempted to say she just delivers the expressions that she was asked to deliver.

This May 2012 Vogue IT editorial reminds of another "Linda and the boys" that is totally different and where Linda is "facially" perfectly tuned with the atmosphere : She was the kind of dame...

Moreover, I've noticed that Linda is more often the target of this critism than other models, but if you compare, let's say Kate Moss' empty glaze and Christy Turlington's social smile, they are equally poor delivers. So maybe Linda's features just don't allow neutrality. :blink:

Loving Linda's editorial! She looks beautiful and l love the styling and it looks like they had a lot of fun with it.

Damn, Meisel is missing it with his lighting lately. He needs to get it together.

It is interesting to read your comment. Despite I'm a big fan of Linda, I also feel sometimes that her expressions fall below expectations, lack inspiration and life. This is valid both for her early work and current pictures, but more frequent in her work by Meisel. This is even more surprising that there are editorials where she is a true actress... I'm tempted to say she just delivers the expressions that she was asked to deliver.

This May 2012 Vogue IT editorial reminds of another "Linda and the boys" that is totally different and where Linda is "facially" perfectly tuned with the atmosphere : She was the kind of dame...

Moreover, I've noticed that Linda is more often the target of this critism than other models, but if you compare, let's say Kate Moss' empty glaze and Christy Turlington's social smile, they are equally poor delivers. So maybe Linda's features just don't allow neutrality. :blink:

Interesting comments... and one thing about it, the mere thought of casting Kate Moss for this ed would be laughable, so basically it should be acknowledged that a model can reach super or top status and not have a great amount of versatility. I can buy into there being a higher (or at least a different) bar for Linda, but I think that may be because she has been dubbed a chameleon, and granted that came about in part because of her penchant for changing her hair style, but it was also due to her being deemed a model who could play many roles.

It is funny because I was thinking about what models could have been cast in this ed and made it great and I could not come up with a lot of names. However, and perhaps strangely, I suspect that it is not a coincidence that Linda was cast for this cover and ed, and to my eyes, Meisel stepped up his game as a photographer and director, so who knows, with a different model, the pluses and minuses may have been different, but the net result / "overall score" would have been the same.

ETA:
Damn, Meisel is missing it with his lighting lately. He needs to get it together.
I think in this case it is deliberate and compensating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the ed!! reminds me of those vintage movies set in old school Italy or Cuba even the colouring is authentic to those mambo clubs. Olivia Palermo's ed just looks creepy in a bad way..something odd about it

I'm quite dissapointed with the ed, I was expecting some kinda movie editorial, but this is just a mambo lesson editorial, boring, and I really like the Evangelista-Meisel duo.

oh nevermind i missed the review on the previous page

Daphne is a little tan for my liking in her edit, but she looks nice as always ^_^

Oddly enough, the best pictures I've seen so far have been the Vogue Suggestion's shots. Linda's ed didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would be but it doesn't do anything for me :(

Daphne looks like a beach goddess in her edit:heart:, esp the first shot is gorg, love the blue streaks in her hair, cant wait to see the complete edit.

more like sea creature. All the elements of that story are good (besides the fact that Saskia's editorial looks the same), but her face has ruined the editorial once again

I think it's great. Period. LaLinda is a true models model and set a standard of what a real fashion superstar is all about. It's great to see her where she belongs!!!!!!!

Preview of Codies' ed:

tumblr_m3kmb5Me4t1r0qqppo1_500.jpg
tumblr_m3kxorut791qac2kao1_500.jpg

sfilate.tumblr.com/larastonesboobs.tumblr.com via Hoother

Looking forward to Daphne's ed, it looks very cool from the previews!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zendayacomz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->