Vogue Italia March 2014 : Saskia de Brauw by Steven Meisel

I'm so bored of prada, it's been in nearly every editorial since the collection was shown, that editorial from miles just tops it.:shock:

i think the miles aldridge and greg kadel editorials save the issue a tiny bit but definitely would NOT buy this overall

Ohh,the Paolo's and Tim's are so nice..GVS is total a goddess!

Ms. Wilson vs. The Blackface

WTH:lol: sorry, i can't :doh: this is ridiculous
just drama for the sake of drama:rolleyes:

YES, i am offended by this dumb article:angry:

Vogue Publishes Yet Another Blackface Fashion Feature, Are You Offended? (PHOTOS)
The Huffington Post | by Julee Wilson

Posted: 03/08/2014 9:21 am EST Updated: 03/08/2014

Here we go again! Another magazine has decided that engaging in the racially insensitive act of Blackface is a glamorous idea. This time around the culprit is Vogue Italia. The glossy's March 2014 issue includes a feature entitled "Abracadabra" that was shot by Steven Meisel and shows model Saskia de Brauw in a series of images with her skin darkened while posing in ethnic wears -- headdresses, colorful wrappings, etc.

Not all the images portray Saskia in dark makeup, however the ones that don't show the Dutch model painted in traditional African tribal markings. And the addition of the African animals doesn't help matters. Although the feature doesn't depict historical minstral-inspired Blackface, it's still in bad taste.

We're thoroughly confused as to why the magazine didn't think this type of editorial would be offensive and why they didn't just use a black model in the first place. Clearly the "Blackface is NEVER Ok" memo addressed to the fashion industry keeps getting lost in the mail.

This feature follows a slew of other Blackface debacles, including Vogue Netherlands' "Heritage Heroes" atrocity, Numéro's "African Queen" fail and Metal magazine's "Transmission" faux pas.

There have also been the head-shaking instances where fashion notables have taken on the skin darkening themselves -- like in the case of Elle France's beauty editor Jeanne Deroo and fashion designer Allesandro Dell’Acqua.
via huffingtonpost.com

Well, they are right.

They are indeed, even if the images are not identical to the shots from Numero with Ondria or the horrific blackface shots from Vogue Netherlands, the concept is still the same. I can't believe members of this website will stand for it. I just saw the images from the editorial now and I was weirded out. The fetishization of races and cultural pieces used on white models throughout fashion is so disgusting.

Model: Saskia de Brauw
Photographer: Paolo Roversi
Fashion Editor: Julien D’Ys

wearesodroee

High Allure
Model: Malgosia Bela
Photographer: Yelena Yemchuk
Fashion Editor: Anastasia Barbieri
Hair: Sebastien Richard
Make-up: Lloyd Simmonds

wearesodroee

A Unique Attitude
Models: Kati Nescher, Saskia de Brauw, Aymeline Valade
Photographer: Peter Lindbergh
Fashion Editor: Ludivine Poiblanc
Hair: Odile Gilbert
Make-up: Emmanuel Sammartino

wearesodroee

Too les:mrgreen:

Lindbergh's and Roversi's eds are spectacular!

Concerning the issue about the cover and cover story, I don't understand how this is blackface. Without meaning to sound ignorant or disrespectful, I just don't see it. :\

Lindbergh's and Roversi's eds are spectacular!

Concerning the issue about the cover and cover story, I don't understand how this is blackface. Without meaning to sound ignorant or disrespectful, I just don't see it. :\

Like I said, it is not obviously Blackface but it is the concept that is similar, trying to fetishizes tribalism and what Vogue Italia believes is savage or native but trying to make it seem chic and expensive.

Nice to see Michel back on the team after a 4/5 year absence. And while using a white model for black shoots is typical, it's not blatant like that one Ondria did a while ago.

Ondria's edit was absolutely disgraceful; it was so unapologetically racist. When it comes to this cover and cover story I think that if they had used a black model people would have found it extremely offensive. Personally, I enjoyed the photos and I really love the different ways they painted on Saskia's face.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Dazzling Party
Photographer:
Miles Aldridge
Stylist: Alice Gentilucci
Model: Aline Weber
Make-Up: Lloyd Simmons
Hair: Sebastien Richard

wearesodroee.com

Horrible cover and even worse main story - just all in bad taste. But the other editorials - Walker's, Roversi's, Lindbergh's - are incredible. Will be picking it up because of them.

Yeah, the cover is horrible. Looks like some third-rate mime pose.

The editorials are nice though; very classical studio shots that showcase supreme lighting and nice styling. The Roversi and Lindbergh shoots are particularly enchanting in their gentle simplicity. Lindbergh is an everlasting titan of talent with his compositions.

Abracadabra looks good. Very reminiscent of the type of styling that was used in 1980s Vogue.

I understand if some find it in poor taste, since our tolerance and sensitivity levels are all different. But to say it's offensive and disgusting is an exaggeration.

Where would the lines of cultural appropriation be drawn? I think it comes down to context. I find this particular shoot energizing, playful and typically Meisel-- ultimately very high fashion, but not anything new or exhilarating and visionary-- because I don't find Meisel to be a visionary photographer. But, it's not offensive either. The Massai tribal-inspired facepaint is not literal here: It's nothing even in the same reference as blackface.

Without the inspirations and references of cultural cross-pollination in high fashion, everything would end up looking like bland department store catalogues. Or if only black designers, black stylists and black models are the only rightful individuals to appropriate their own culture's traditional wear into high fashion, then it would be National Geographic. That Numero shoot, complete with the insensitive title "African Queen" while depicting a white woman, very artificially-tanned to the point of crossing the line into racist blackface in African styled high fashion. That was thoughtless and offensive. This Italian Vogue one is not, to me.

Alta Moda -HQ-
Model: Guinevere Van Seenus
Photographer: Paolo Roversi
Concept & Realization: Julien D’Ys

softarchive.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back