Vogue Italia March 2014 : Saskia de Brauw by Steven Meisel

I'm assuming you're not a person of color then? You wouldn't understand...:rolleyes:
No, I am not a person of colour. At the same time, I am absolutely disgusted by racism and stereotypes regarding people of colour. In this case, the cover and ed seem respectfully inspired by African culture without being completely literal. My previous posts pretty much explain my opinion on this. And I also agree with what Phuel said.

All I can say is that I was sooooo relieved they didn't use Ruby to do that Miesel ed. I am over white mags showing POCs ooga booging about in the wild. I think the comparison made earlier in the thread to National Geographic--and its history of misappropriating African images and promoting the continent's "savage" and "wild" imagery near the exclusion of all else--incredibly appropriate. The idea that primarily black entities using black culture = National Geographic is :lol:...you're killing me.

One day it will be rare for Euro editors and stylists to do a "tribal" themed ed and resort to a bit of grassland or wild/exotic animal to ground us or remind us of the magic and mystique of these Eastern lands. At a time when Afronauts is making waves everywhere we still doing funny faces in face paint by the lion head?

(I am not against "fusion". This particular distillation of this fusion is tired, outdated, overused, limited, lacks dimension, lacks any profound thought, lacks creativity. I swear I'm gonna start a black fashion mag and every time an Euro designer references some historical period I'll feature white models walking around in mud, pitching hay and shodding horses. Except it wouldn't be as bad bc at least they get to be the foremost image of representing *their* culture? Where are the African designers in these "tribal" themed eds again? Oh....right. God bless fusion.)

No, I am not a person of colour. At the same time, I am absolutely disgusted by racism and stereotypes regarding people of colour. In this case, the cover and ed seem respectfully inspired by African culture without being completely literal. My previous posts pretty much explain my opinion on this. And I also agree with what Phuel said.
Reading through this thread, I am seriously cringing at my 2014 self who was clearly completely uneducated on issues of race. Ugh I just want to go back and tell myself to stop talking/whitesplaining haha. My sincerest apologies for my past ignorance. Sorry for bringing this thread back for no other reason though. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I have magazines Saskia covering at the same year and month of Vogue italia and vogue paris and they were better covers than this one.

Source: hfgl.proboards.com

Vogue Italia #763
Abracadabra
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Marie-Amélie Sauvé
Set Design: Mary Howard
Production: PRODn at Art + Commerce
Model: Saskia de Brauw
Make-Up: Pat McGrath
Hair: Guido
Manicure: Jin Soon Choi

Source: Vogue Italia Archive