Vogue Italia May 2016 : Caitie Greene by Steven Meisel

guimon

Reaction score
13117869_1727868787502632_1229898802_n.jpg

instagram/vogueitalia

Meisel really is Vogue Italia. This is a simple cover, but Trumps every non-Meisel cover of VI.

Shoot me, but this is a let down after last month. I think it's time Meisel cut his ties permanently with this magazine. Not sure what's going on here. A 1915-era maiden who ended up on a sportsfield?

Shoot me, but this is a let down after last month. I think it's time Meisel cut his ties permanently with this magazine. Not sure what's going on here. A 1915-era maiden who ended up on a sportsfield?

Really Benn? I think it's quite gorgeous and a lot better than every non-Meisel cover so far, save maybe 1 or 2. So I agree with the first post that this magazine IS Meisel or vice versa. Especially cause the rest of the magazine is already so B/C-list.

I said in the cover rumour thread that I don't understand why Meisel is obsessed with this girl and who she is in the first place cause I can't remember her, but now that I see this I completely understand why.

Lovely cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meisel always made me jaw-dropping and eyes-popping. It look like ordinary cover but this drives me crazy.

A 1915-era maiden who ended up on a sportsfield?

Why not! I won't judge the book by its cover and wait until we have the whole story but for now I quite love what I see. The kind of work I like from Meisel, the aesthetic that often push me to buy another issue of Vogue Italia. And the choice of the model is pretty smart too, Caitie's pouty young lady's mood next to a pale pink outfit is a nice contrast. I keep some high hopes for this issue, at least for the main editorial.

As for Meisel not working for VI any longer... Well, I remember myself begging for some changes a while ago when I started to think the maestro was getting less inspired if not obviously uninspired every now and then and that it was about time to think about a break. We sort of had it, we have other photographers involved in covers now as well, had great ones to indulge with but I'm all for some kind of balance between a real good Meisel cover (and story) like this and different approaches like Tim Walker's, Demarchelier's, Weber's, Lindbergh's... and perhaps a less-known, newer photographer soon? Even if I'm maybe not as thrilled by the magazine as I used to be during Meisel's heyday, I feel like VI is doing it right, lately, didn't forget its impressive legacy while trying and often managing (to a certain extent) to renew itself unlike other magazines having a hard time finding their current path and seeing their future in a brighter way (thinking of recent issues of Vogue Paris or UK Vogue's disastrous anniversary number, among others - which is the saddest part).

I'm not exactly knowledgeable about his style but it does make me want to look inside..

What a bore. Vogue Portugal has better cover for May..

Really Benn? I think it's quite gorgeous and a lot better than every non-Meisel cover so far, save maybe 1 or 2. So I agree with the first post that this magazine IS Meisel or vice versa. Especially cause the rest of the magazine is already so B/C-list.

I said in the cover rumour thread that I don't understand why Meisel is obsessed with this girl and who she is in the first place cause I can't remember her, but now that I see this I completely understand why.

Lovely cover.

I don't know, it just doesn't grab me. I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste. Maybe part of the reason is the fact that I've got no idea who this girl is. And anyway, last month someone charged that by looking at those 3 covers one couldn't tell what the theme was. So this time we're in exactly the same predicament, but....

Not a fan... this shot is very weak for me.
And I can see why Meisel love this girl but I think some models are more deserving of a VI cover now.

i love it. Only Meisel can make such simple setting become captivating through his lens. I'm intrigued to see the inside and the story of it

The layout is so amateur

I love it, his simple covers are always easily better than what others do for VI. I don't think he should stop working for VI.
hate the font though

I'm a fan of Meisel but not for this. This is too easy to him.

What a bore... The lighting looks so amateur and cheap. And hate the background and the filter.

Still better than last month's disasters but this is off too. Meisel totally lost it. This is beyond MEH.

I love the contrast between the character and the sportfield
Really nice cover

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saucednoods
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->