Vogue Paris July 2020 : Mica Argañaraz by Nathaniel Goldberg & Natasja Madsen by Henrik Purienne

Un été brûlant
Photography: Henrik Purienne
Styling: Georgia Bedel
Model: Natasja Madsen

pictures by me
16 photos including the cover, 12 out of 15 photos Including the cover are headless ... well isn’t that sexual objectification in a certain way? I mean ok there are some body parts close ups but some photos are just looking like head was intentionally cropped.

Goldberg Ed is nice and Mica looking good esp with that longer hair, would’ve been better not on a white background. Out of all made by models shooting Anja is the only prof looking (quite Camilla Akrans for Numero in 2006-2010 when Camilla worked with Anja), everything else is just too basic Kind of Zara shooting for their online shop made by models at home. clothes looks just like mass market (I don’t think that’s what they tried to make)

Last edited:
Anja by Lachan, Mika by Teller, Rianne by Jamie and Anna by McLellan? I'm in!

Jk, actually I'm surprised how they created a good issue without big photographers. And that makes me wonder about two things: or they were involved in the photoshoots or their aesthetics are too basic that anyone can emulate?

... well isn’t that sexual objectification in a certain way?

It's a VP's thing. Don't get me wrong, I am all for feminine beauty showcased in fashion magazines, but too much nudity - for the sake of nudity and some sort of shock value, I suppose :rolleyes: ! - is something that has always bothered me.

(Btw, the freshest example that comes to my mind is Amber Valletta's bare boob/nipple in the newest Vogue Netherlands' BRAVE NEW SUMMER which has NOTHING to do with the whole (post-)Covid19 situation! But, as some of you often tend to say here - choices...)

What a sublime issue! Vogue Paris is the only magazine left that brings me any joy these days. I can always count on Alt to have the most superb models and editorials that appeal to me more than any other international edition.

Anna Ewers looks stellar! It's a shame her editorial is so short. Freja did an excellent job shooting Rianne, the portrait in white turtleneck would've been a pretty good cover. Anja is just spectacular, as usual. Natasja Madsen's editorial is just brilliant! It has that sense of retro artistic approach to p*rn*gr*phy (like Lui or vintage Playboy) with beautiful golden tan and bold colors of swimwear - beautiful and sexy. I love it!

As for Mica, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this overload since I was never a fan but it works! The cover story is my favorite, but the other two aren't bad either. Thank you, Vogue Paris, for constantly providing quality content.

16 photos including the cover, 12 out of 15 photos Including the cover are headless ... well isn’t that sexual objectification in a certain way? I mean ok there are some body parts close ups but some photos are just looking like head was intentionally cropped.
I love headless shots but it does seem a bit too repetitive here and it's definitely not his style (there were plenty of face shots back in Mirage). I can only conclude this is on request from VP.. they're not Lui, I feel like they purposely won't promote a model that has zero high fashion credentials, but mostly that has not being chosen by them, that is kind of just here due to quarantine, and well, sleeping w/ the photographer.

I'll never get Mica's appeal. The rest of the stories shot by non-photographers are surprisingly decent..

Emmanuelle AKA the undisputed queen of Jeans and T-shirts!
It’s a great issue overall even if I find Geraldine’s story boring.
I think Anja and Mica by her boyfriend are just perfect!

It’s a great issue and I think Emmanuelle was clever to choose that cast of girls who knows and fit the magazine’s aesthetic.

Now it’s also time to commit on expending that cast of girls...(diverse).

Emmanuelle AKA the undisputed queen of Jeans and T-shirts!
It’s a great issue overall even if I find Geraldine’s story boring.
I think Anja and Mica by her boyfriend are just perfect!

It’s a great issue and I think Emmanuelle was clever to choose that cast of girls who knows and fit the magazine’s aesthetic.

Now it’s also time to commit on expending that cast of girls...(diverse).

Couldn't agree more. At least be diverse with the VP staple girls. I'm not sure why Luna, Taylor Hill, and Fran are not used more in this magazine. They're all VP girls or were. I'm not even going to start on Adut or Liya who both had covers but are continuously absent.

Couldn't agree more. At least be diverse with the VP staple girls. I'm not sure why Luna, Taylor Hill, and Fran are not used more in this magazine. They're all VP girls or were. I'm not even going to start on Adut or Liya who both had covers but are continuously absent.

It’s funny but I was thinking about Noémie Lenoir. She is very VP, she lives in Paris and it could have been cool to have her back on the pages of Vogue.

I remember when Rose Cordero was the featured cover girl for March 2010 and then literally never showed up since then...VP is inconsistent when portraying diversity...

This is a good issue. I mean, we have to consider the context. It’s not superb but clearly beyond decent.
It’s funny to think that some people wanted her out last year. Honestly I can’t picture anyone else doing her job right now. The only person who has the talent and the vision to replace and extend the language of the magazine is Suzanne Koller. But I doubt she is not even remotely interested. Her M le Monde is another level. She doesn’t need Condé Nast.

This is a good issue. I mean, we have to consider the context. It’s not superb but clearly beyond decent.
It’s funny to think that some people wanted her out last year. Honestly I can’t picture anyone else doing her job right now. The only person who has the talent and the vision to replace and extend the language of the magazine is Suzanne Koller. But I doubt she is not even remotely interested. Her M le Monde is another level. She doesn’t need Condé Nast.

Working for Condé Nast would only limit her creativity that she currently expresses in M le Monde.

I remember when Rose Cordero was the featured cover girl for March 2010 and then literally never showed up since then...VP is inconsistent when portraying diversity...

That’s the problem ultimately. I get that black girls perform maybe less than the usual ones but I think it’s also great to feature them regularly on the pages of the magazine. We had young Liya in 2002 and nothing for years, Noémie out of nowhere in 2008 and then nothing for 2 years. Rose got her cover and then back to no black woman on the magazine until Liya in 2015 and then 3 years later Adut.

They have black girls walking Isabel Marant, Saint Laurent and Celine. You couldn’t do more VP than those brands and yet you don’t see those girls in the pages of the magazine

Working for Condé Nast would only limit her creativity that she currently expresses in M le Monde.
I think that actually VP offers more creativity. It’s not US Vogue where they are limited by the Puritanism of the society. But the audience of M Le Monde is definitely more « intellectual », more grown up and Emmanuelle’s aesthetic was a bit restrictive for her. But I think that with the right team (Barbieri, Sablon, McKenna for example), she can deliver great work.

Vogue Paris July 2020

Panacée Solaire

Photographer: Alique
Stylist: Celia Azoulay
Hair: Panos Papandrianos
Makeup: Maud Laceppe
Cast: Altyn Simpson

Vogue Paris Digital Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't possible dislike any of it. It would've been a fine regular summer issue to be honest - much better than other editions of Vogue - but when you consider the pandemic hurdles, you realize that it is actually a stellar outcome. Alt didn't rely on mediocre selfies or gimmicky hand drawn stuff but instead produced an issue with a clear VP identity. You have to give it to her, she made no excuses and brought her A-game unlike any other editor out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->