Vogue Paris March 2015 : Kate, Daria & Lara by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

What on earth are these? I mean, I don't even need to see the HQs to make better judgment...

First, you had 3 amazing models on the cover, but you didn't even find the decency to give them an editorial? I had high hopes! I thought I was gonna see some girl on girl on girl action with these 3! They all looked seductive and I hoped to see that in their main editorials. BUT, I was wrong. I don't see how VP or M&M finds this trend (of putting someone on the cover without a supplementary editorial) any good. What good does it do?

The Miss Vogue editorials are a big pile of Sh*t. Eclat Pur is what I'd expect from Russian Vogue. Lifeless, basic, plain, etc... It's like a catalog for Mango (even Mango can do better than this). Meanwhile Happy Chic is a rip off of Inez & Vinoodh's style. It reminds me of I&V with Christy Turlington styled by Geraldine (with the roses). And what is up with the pose of back on the floor and legs up high? Is that a Sgura signature? Stop it. Leave him with Vogue Japan!

Blanc Ascendant Noir is decent. It's a lazy editorial for me. Black & White, jumping ++ Nothing stands out her imo. How can you have this editorial and not give Kate, Daria and Lara one? How?? How?

Affranchie is like the unpublished shots from STUDIO VOGUE collected together and made into and editorial. It looks exactly the same. How original. How inspired. How Vogue.

Neo Sauvage is pretty but it's not the Sorrenti x Vogue Paris that I know. With this, it feels like he's being held back. These shots are just making me want to sleep. And what is up with the Black & Whites?? Do they convert it into B&W to add interest to a rather boring editorial? But, at least Sorrenti is back and I love that! NOW to a cover!

Uptown Girls is BORING. These street editorials are sh*t. It's either you WORK the streets or get the hell out from it. I've seen these street editorials from VP issue after issue and not one of them did I ever love or stood out. It's just depressing. Suzanne Koller is a brilliant stylist and I feel that she's being restrained from the dull ideas of Alt. Oh no.

Pop Safari is not the best editorial VP has ever produced but this is the Vogue Paris that I love! It's sexy, naughty, seductive, energetic, it's everything! I love how the styling is very playful yet it draws you in. This is Vogue Paris! But it's rather weird to see how they made the images look dated.

Emmanuelle, honey, MOVE ON from the 80s before your readers MOVE ON from the magazine. For a magazine that is expected to set the trend, you seem to be the one who keeps looking back. You keep having these so called "Nouvelle Vogue" but honey, make sure that reinvention does not just stop with the art direction. You've had 3 art direction changes but the fashion direction seemed to have been stuck since 2011. Fix that too.

You've made some valid points here MON and I enjoyed reading your comment. Yet I cannot help but think Emmanuelle Alt must be doing something right. Vogue Paris (even after Carine Roitfeld) is the most copied magazine in the business. There is a number of magazines that have adapted their layout to match VP's, Vogue Australia for one. The covers with Kate, Daria and Lara are basically a con (as fabulous as they are). The issue comes wrapped in France, therefore the viewers on the newsstand assume they're getting these models inside the issue. Although once they've parted with their money, they're left deflated because there's no such content. It's all business which I just find fascinating. Alt's Vogue has become very stale, I must admit but I still thoroughly enjoy each issue. The redesign has massively rejuvenated the magazine.

I am, however, completely tired of these New York/downtown editorials inside Vogue Paris. Glen Luchford's is a complete a utter bore whereas Jessica Miller's gives me life. Mert & Marcus' story is a nice surprise, great to see Eliza, who's an unexpected yet welcomed choice of model for both Alt and VP.

Oxymore, I couldn't be more thankful for the HQ's, review and previews. :heart:

Vogue Paris (even after Carine Roitfeld) is the most copied magazine in the business. There is a number of magazines that have adapted their layout to match VP's, Vogue Australia for one.

:blink: Wow, I don't see this at all. I think Carine Roitfeld's Vogue Paris was much more emulated [specifically we all used to laugh about Vogue Spain being its layout twin, they did those similar accessory features, and hell they even ran editorials with models that looked like Carine! -- ever since she left though they're doing their own thing, even though it's weird and commercial], while Alt's has not had any kind of influence in the industry as far as I can tell. Though to her credit, she was a large part of Roitfeld's Vogue's vision.

And Vogue Australia? They've always had their own bright/clean beachy/earthy vision and probably have the most distinct and unique layout/vision of ANY Vogue.

Oh HeatherAnne, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of Vogue Australia (I'd buy every single issue if it weren't so expensive) but there's no denying their fonts and layout resemble Vogue Paris circa 2010. Edwina gave the magazine its identity after hiring a new design team, who took the essence of VP's layout and made it their own. Pre-Edwina everyone complained the magazine was tired and dated. The fashion content isn't a copy, Vogue Australia definitely embraces it's own unique take on fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I don't agree. I think Kirstie Clements set the vision for Vogue Australia, and personally don't see much of a change under Edwina McCann in terms of layout or style. Thanks for debating with me though (you're always good for stimulating good discussion :heart:).

Vogue Paris (even after Carine Roitfeld) is the most copied magazine in the business. There is a number of magazines that have adapted their layout to match VP's, Vogue Australia for one.
I completely agree.

The basis for much of this is around Emmanuelle and her aesthetic - talking from a stylised view rather than an art direction, the attitude Emmanuelle created at VP is widely felt and her influence whether intentional or unintentional is there even with lower end retailers.

I completely agree with this! Despite lackluster content, VP is still on of the most emulated magazines there is! Let's start with the layout, when Vogue Paris had a redesign last 2012, Vogue Australia and Vogue Korea (on their headlines) copied it around 2013 and Vogue Thailand on 2014. Looking at it, all four magazines clashed with typography around January 2014. No wonder VP immediately changed their font on their March 2014 cover. (See photo for reference). And there came Elle France, US Glamour +++

Though I'm not sure if it's a good thing for VP cause does it mean that their layout is basic or does this mean they're just influential

cip.png

imgkid, designscene, nextmodelmanagement

And with regards to Vogue Espana, I never saw their layout trying to copy Vogue Paris. Maybe with the text alignment? But with regards to fonts, I think they were trying to copy American Vogue than VP. The font both used was AvantGarde and Vogue Paris used Caslon back then. There wasn't a single magazine, during Carine's era, that used Caslon, Futura and both together. With that said, the only thing I noticed that VS was copying from VP would be their editorials. Commissioning Geraldine Saglio? Oh sure. Some of their editorials look like VP's Miss Vogue.

A magazine's layout is its identity. And maybe the reason why VP changed in 2014 is because they saw people copying their layout and them losing their edge and identity. I'm not being shady towards Vogue Australia and I really do like their direction right now, but I don't love their layout because to me it's unoriginal and a left over of a its bigger sister.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrea works a lot for VP ... I am not a bog fan of her edit, but I admit it's good. I can't wait to see Othilia. She starred in Hermès canpaign, so I wanna see what else she can do in front of the camera :smile:

That's Karolin Wolter in David Sims ed with Hana J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chikirin
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->