W September 2010 Issue Documentary

tarsha

Reaction score
W Is Filming a Documentary About Its September Issue

Cameras have been trolling the halls of the W offices filming a documentary of the making of the magazine's September issue under new editor-in-chief Stefano Tonchi. The magazine's redesign will debut for September, which is, traditionally, any fashion magazine's biggest issue of the year. A rep for the magazine tells us the release date for the film will be "around late October," but wouldn't provide many more details. So it's unclear if this will be anywhere near as big as Vogue's documentary about its September issue, directed by R.J. Cutler. Of course, the bad thing about being the second magazine to do this kind of thing is that the most obvious title — The September Issue — has already been taken.

But this being the second documentary about a magazine's September issue within a couple of years, one wonders if documentaries about fashion magazines are the new reality-TV shows about fashion magazines. Most titles can't seem to come up with a good idea for one of those anymore, so maybe the more purist documentary approach is a good idea, though it might not hold as much mass interest for the general public.

nymag.com

I thought since we have a thread for The September Issue of Vogue, it would be OK to have a thread for this one here.

I think its more a coincidence that their both going to be about a september issue, as id say they want to feature more about the new staff and about the new direction,
than to try and duplicate Vogues The September Issue documentary.

But I'm excited to see it as I'm a long standing fan of Stefano Tonchi and it'll be great to see how he and his new team work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm exciting for this, even though I'm pretty sure it wont be as big as the original The September Issue. Hopefully it focuses on the redesign of the magazine and the creation of a few editorials.

I'll always appreciate a fashion related documentary, so naturally I'm quite excited for this.

I do hope we actually see it close to the issue, and not almost two years after like we did with The September issue..

W magazine current issue's fashion sets are amazing. I'd really like to see the documentary for the Sep issue though. Hope it turns out well.

I've never bought a single W issue because of its price in my country and the difficulty to find it so it will be interesting to me to see who are the people behind it and what is the magazine all about. Maybe I'll be interested in buying it after that :smile: we'll see.

Now if it's for october shouldn't they put a promo trailer or something in order to awake people's need to go and see the documentary?

lately ive been even more impressed with W than usual... and id love to see some behind the scenes footage of the craziness in magazine publishing.

im super excited to see this & to explore the developments. if anyone has any more information please share. im beyond excited.

This isn't going to be a theatrical release. Maybe they will release it as a DVD within an upcoming issue. For subscribers only :lol:

^That was my first thought as well - it would give subscribers a good insider glimpse (And explanation) as to the magazine's revamp!

(Until the whole things ends up on YouTube, anyway)

Based on recent issues, they might just live up to all the hype!!!

im so excited about this, although ive never bought the magazine. Maybe this year's September issue will be my first purchase of W.

I've only bought a handful of Issues, but I'm a sucker for magazines with "young Hollywood" themes, so I'm sure I'll buy the September issue.

Fashion Documentaries are all the rage whether the cameras are trailing designers (see Valentino; The Last Emperor, In Search of Halston and Ralph Rucci: A Designer and his House) or magazine editors like Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington in R.J. Cutler's The September Issue, which dissected and delved into the making of the American fashion bible's biggest issue.

Now the cameras are rolling away at the offices of W, which has a new Editor-in-Chief, 50-year-old Stefano Tonchi (who left T for the position) and a slew of new staffers, like Jody Quon (the new Creative Director), Features Director Armand Limnander and Editor-at-Large Lynn Hirschberg, who is notorious for writing such a scathing Vanity Fair cover profile of Courtney Love that Love wanted to "murder" the writer. The real drama would be filming the scene when longtime W-ers like Senior Fashion Editor Camilla Nickerson and Creative Director Dennis Friedman resigned after Tonchi took control.

The September issue of W will also debut a new re-design and a young group of Hollywood starlets like Emma Roberts (Julia's niece), Zoe Kravitz (Lenny's daughter) and Jennifer Lawrence on the cover a la Vanity Fair's annual "Hollywood Issue". The yet-untitled W documentary (remember, they can't call it simply "W" as that was the title of Oliver Stone's mocking movie on former President George W. Bush) will debut in late October.

The filmmakers should focus their lenses on Hirschberg as she interviews celebrities - reality TV fights are about to ensue and without any action, what fun is a movie anyway?

vogue.it

W magazine confirmed this week that camera crews were in the office filming a documentary about the making of its September issue under new editor-in-chief Stefano Tonchi. Turns out the film is for the Internet only, and won't make it to theaters like Vogue's September Issue film. A spokeswoman for the magazine says the movie "will live online as a part of our online film festival, among other curated fashion-based films." The online film festival begins in late October on the magazine's website. Another September-issue theatrical release would have thrilled the hell out of us, but it's just about as exciting that W, a fashion body, is using the strange alien interwebs for something new and innovative.
nymag.com

This should be interesting. Can't wait to watch the doc & Stefano!!

Thanks for the update, mrsjamesdean!!

When I heard about this I had mixed feelings. For one, I love fashion , so to hear that there's a fashion documentary queuing up, I was kind of ecstatic. I love in glimpse into the industry I want to work into just so I can sort of gain experience by watching you know??

But in addition to that I was angered over the fact that it's going to be The September Issue. Vogue already did that. That probably wasn't the angering factor it's probably just fuel to the fire since I was already upset that Stefano Tonchi would be redoing the magazine. I loved the fashion obsessed publication and that's why I have a subscription to it. I don't want an oversized InStyle and that's why I have never spent any money to pursue an issue of InStyle.

But from what I hear it will not be released in theaters but will instead be apart of an online film festival. The documentary will basically show the official redesign of W as this will be Stefano's official first entire issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->