Wearing Over-Sized Clothing

I've been pondering this too.

I don't think the look suits me very well, it seems to swamp me - at least to my mind it does. But I do like oversized clothes, especially jumpers and cardigans and jeans, etc.
I feel that the smaller I am, the worse it looks, although I am not too short, either. But I have a petite frame which some of these garments simply overwhelm. Perhaps I prefer the look on taller people, I don't know.

I have issues every winter in locating coats and jumpers that don't swamp me. So there's a depressing angle to this, for me, regardless how much I like the style.

That said, I simply loathe form fitting (or to be more precise, suffocatingly tight) clothes, unless they're more classic pieces, obviously. I'm loving the surge of 'less-sexually-overt' styles that are currently available: the smock dresses, sixties style shift dresses, loose knits and pretty blouses, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oversized clothings make me feel sloppy and like a big lump of a mess! I have a dress which is one size up and in a bigger cut, I ended up looking frumpy wearing it. I am very petite,*edit*, unfortunately. I do like my clothings loose though, no oversized. I like the space they provide and the freedom of movement. I don't have to worry about my muffin top or any bulges if I wear my clothes too tight. My bottomline is something that hangs well, looks well.

I always wear tight-ish skinny jeans or leggings and I feel more balanced wearing a looser top over them. I don't like it to be too baggy, just with movement. I am a UK8 all over, but I normally wear a 10 or 12 in tops as I think it looks better.

I put on a shirt I bought long ago and now it no longer fits. I thought, "Maybe I can make this work because it's 'oversized' now." :lol: Nay. It just looks bad it's too big period!

I guess there are only a few pieces that can be pulled off as oversized. Sigh.

Or maybe some of them would just look better with a cinched waist, with a belt or something?

My body-type is usually a little apple-shaped (not right now - I'm nearly twenty-two weeks pregnant), and I'm a fan of over-sized button-downs, sweaters, and parkas. I really wanted to love boyfriend jeans, but they just didn't work on me.

Does anyone has any advise for loose clothes on guys??

I do have a couple of items but Im always afraid that I might look like a rapper ... I have done the loose cargo jeans/pants with combat boots which works for me ... but I am SO skinny Im afraid I get too selfconcious to do it with a top ... or prob just oversized tee with a tight jacket?

Rappers wear tee shirts, chains and... shorts/jeans/ track pants I guess(??). You could switch those for a collared shirt with long sleeves, pants in suit-weight material. Something much less casual. Does that suit your style? I think what matters is design. In fabric choice, colour, etc.

I have been worried about being swamped myself in these kinds of clothes, but I decided that I always have to do some altering work if I want it to suit me. In fact I do that with anything I have. I don't wear clothes that are well-fitted to my body. I always have to wear them a little loose to balance off my giant head shape and hair. Otherwise people tell me my clothes are tight and then I'll fling my arms about and show them how loose the clothes really are.
Hemming, etc. and I even change or add seamlines.. It's because when there are too many horizontal lines I look wider than I am and I think it looks intimidating. Anything that will soften any high contrast helps a lot. Making over-sized look sized-perfect :-P You just have to constantly tweak, and feel your way to find the right balance.

6 hours later and now I've figured out you probably didn't mean rapper literally lol :ermm: and you are working with clothes you've already than getting new ones. I'll send you a PM

lol .. thanks for the pointers Gius ... you have definitively helped me to get a start at least ... with all this encouragemente .. Im SO gonna give it a shot (and I never worry about not having enough clothes or such ... thrift stores are my second home)

please watch the weight talk in here people...
i've already had to edit several posts...something i never like doing...
so please remember to keep it about the clothing, the silhouette, the shapes and the size...
but not about weight..

thanks everyone!

I love oversized shirts and actually every kind of clothes that has that certain movement and fluidity... I doesn't work for me though, I'm petite and look even smaller in that type of clothes.

i'm often surprised by how much i love something that is way oversized. usually i find things like that by accident. for example, i was at old navy took a peek at the women's clearance rack... i found a sweater for like $5, which is an XL, and i don't even think i would have liked it had it been in my normal size... it's nice to toss on over a bodycon dress or to wear with skinny jeans and a tee... you can see it in my blog posts like 2 or 3 pictures down.

but i think the key, at least with tops, is that the shoulders have to hit at an OK spot. there is a fine line between a dropped shoulder and an absurdly dropped shoulder :P

i love giant huge wide leg pants. but not necessarily oversized, as the waist definitely needs to fit correctly....

I always buy a size up in tops. I do this because of the possibility of shrinkage and, as others in this thread have mentioned, it really makes it easier to move. I hate when shirts are my size but ride up in some places. I always go one up!

With pants, I try to stick to my size, or I can start to look really disproportionate.

I don't know if it is just me, but I kind of like the extra drapery the bigger clothes provide.

oversized shirts are nice but if you have boobs, or wear t shirt bras that are usually horribly padded, you can look pregnant.
happened to me. so i solve that by going braless.

I really like how Jessie Baylin wore oversized shirt with skinny jeans and simple necklase.

CLICK BIGGER!

Z2847341121255895_10.jpg

em1885 posted those pictures on jessie´s thread. original credit goes to thejessiebaylincommunity

If anyone can ID that shirt I would be happy happy happy
:woot:

Personally I think it looks the best when top part is oversized...well, it feels the most comfortable on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sfan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->