Your style evolution

hoho!! I have some great stories:

12-13/14 year - hoodie, jeans, skaters. that's it. it was the time of my skater-life. anti-fashion.

13/14-15 year - hey, i'm depressive. i'm so goth. i sh*t spiderwebs. hahaha. ok, i dressed gothic. dragons, lord of the rings etc.

15 year - hippie, i mean, not FASHION-hippie, but really, really hippie. if you saw me, you would be sure i lived in the forest, was a vegan, talked to animals and hated all electronics (which was not true, i just looked like that).

16 year - colours, colours, colours, colours. ugly stockings with even more uglier colours. BUT in this period, it was getting better, and i experimented a lot, so it came more near the style i have today.

16/17/now - today.

Everyone's is so interesting!! Va-va-voom....

0-5: Dressed by my parents. I was forever found in kids Nikes and Adidas. I wore these shiny kid's biker jackets my dad would buy me (which my mom was forever annoyed over because she looked to dress me like a doll), pink overalls.
6-8: Still dressed by parents- dont remember much. A whirlwind of strappy summer dresses and denim minis. Opaque white stockings in winter. Strappy sandals in summer. I had this really nice long dusty pink parka that I loved, with the soft fur hood and all. More girly and feminine phase, I guess.
9-12: Very boyish- loose loose cargo pants. White sneakers. Tshirts. Huge windbeaters. Caps. A bit of a punk/skater look, because all the guys at the local park looked cool, just like that.
13-14: I discovered Saturday Night Fever after the glittery costume I had to wear for my dance concert. Along with an excess of black kohl eyeliner and mascara to perfect the doe-eyed look. A technicolored fashionless phase.
15: Bought a lot of japanese magazines (Nonno, Cutie...) so a real Jap influence: legwarmers, pleated minis, black leggings, sports jackets over long skinny Tshirts, chunky silver necklaces and bracelets. I cut my hair a shaggy mod-short to look like Charlene Choi, this HK singer. Also loved distressed bootcut jeans and the messenger bag.
16-17 (now): Realized that Vogue is not a boring old-women's magazine, and started buying it (along w/ Nylon, i-D, Russh), and reading TFS. My style is now 1 part classic with a twist, 3 part SCHIZO. I like to rework the really basic items in a fun + different way: MIX-AND-MATCH!! The staples as of now..... oversized shades, jackets jackets jackets!!, coats, jeans, minis, short dresses, boots, opaque white/pale pink nail polish, brown Havaianas and way-too-big-for-my-short-frame tote bags.

Current keywords: layering, mix-and-match, schizo

0-5 Dressed by my parents. I always wore Nikes and jeans with holes in it and my jackets were always nike jackets or Salty Dog jackets.
6-10 Still dressed by my parents too, still wearing about the same stuff, only a couple of sizes bigger. I remember that I always wanted to wear Nike Air Maxes. Don't remember why though...
11-13 Starting to be a little stubborn. I wanted to buy my own clothes instead of my mum choosing everything. I started wearing skater stuff, but not the real baggy jeans and shirts. I bought a lot of Quiksilver and Vans stuff.
14-15 I was getting sick of wearing those big jeans. I stopped skating and started to be a shopaholic. I bought jeans from Hugo Boss and Replay. Not too skinny, but more like bootcut. I bought tshirts only from Replay. I kind of liked the printing at that time. At the age of 15 I was starting to develop a obsession for jeans. I only wanted to buy selvage jeans, like Evisu, Levi's Vintage, Nudie Jeans.
16 Being obsessed by Pete Doherty and Dior Homme. I started to buy skinny jeans and tshirts and jackets which looked like stuff from Dior. At the same time I realized that I don't really have to buy expensive stuff from brands like Burberry or Prada to look good. I still buy their stuff though, but only if it looks awesome. If not, I try to find something what looks like it but isn't that expensive. Now I'm almost 17 and it doesn't look like that I'm going to change really much anymore for a couple of years. I'm satisfied about my style now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, so much has been going on in my life since my last post in this thread... which was only about six months ago.. :doh: At that time I was seventeen and I thought that a combination of Dior Homme and Cloak would be my style for a couple of years.. but no... :wacko:

My style changes every season, because I am influenced from everywhere, and I am really trying to go all directions at once... essentially I am trying to find my 'Identity' by experimenting with all kinds of styles.

18 - ? :

I am getting the feeling that this could be it.. this could be the final step in my experimenting and I'm settling down with this style...

Currently, I am very interested in Japanese and Belgian designers... Thus I am trying to blend the Ann Demeulemeester aesthetic with the Number (N)ine aesthetic, while adding some Comme des Garcons and Undercover occasionally...

The colours will predominantly be black.. and at times grey and white.

I am gradually trying to quit wearing my DH and Cloak pieces.. Everytime I am getting a new piece from the Belgian and Japanese designers, I will wrap up a DH or a Cloak pieces and put it away...

I am gradually trying to quit wearing my DH and Cloak pieces.. Everytime I am getting a new piece from the Belgian and Japanese designers, I will wrap up a DH or a Cloak pieces and put it away...

well.. that's a pity. I think your DH and Cloak pieces are just as awesome as your DeMeulemeester and Number (N)ine pieces, but I agree with you. I usually change every season too.

What a great thread idea!!!

I've been obsessed with clothing and fashion since like the 4th & 5th grade beleive it or not.

Pretty much growing up I wore what ever my mother picked out and put me in. Very boyish.

About 6th grade I went totally punk: leather pants, studded bracelets and belts, jelly bracelets, green liberty spike hair, shirts with zippers (Very Breakdancing Electric Boogaloo)

7-9th I became more prep with a twist, because we moved to a very rural area and I couldn't get away with the punk stuff. Plus I was a cheerleader briefly (didn't quite get away with that either)

Through high school I was straight up punk/goth -- very Robert Smith, black clothing, long black skirts, combat boots, mohawk, band/concert tees

Right out of high school I went total glam club kid -- vinyl pants, fake furs, high heels, platform shoes, glittery makeup, purses and back packs. And my hair was every color imaginable.

Then I became this gothic/club kid hybrid.....where I fit in with the ravers and the goths. V. Strange, but alot of people in my hometown were like this so it worked.

Then I went total prep florida surf guy. Super blonde hair, super tanned, and only wore like polo shirts, jeans, etc.

Now......I guess I'm more professional ( I have to be for work, so more dress pants and dress shirts during the day) On my days off I'm more laid back casual like most people and when I do dress up I'm influenced by lines like Prada, Gucci, V&R where the outfits are more tailored, clean cut, CRISP.

^ I know what you mean Baizilla! :lol: But you look amazing either way. :heart:
I can draw up a style evolution from September to present now since it has already changed..I'm sort of constantly all over the place, I want to try everything at once. :ermm:

spring semester! first year in college

*january - preppy a&f : long light brown hair with short bangs across, fitted t-shirt, furry trimmed jackets in brown/cream/olive, medium wash slightly flared jeans, off white jack purcells, pale pink nail polish, occasional sweatshirt, black Versace wrap sunglasses(the ones paris hilton wore in simple life 3/ alex m in laguna beach season 2)
(a lot of earthy colors. standard college student look..kind of uninspired)

*february/march - dark a la lindsay lohan : same hair but darker espresso brown, tuck in brown suede Aldo boots, dark skinny/slim jeans, burgundy or black nail polish. lots of white, cream, beige, olive, burgundy, black, grey, turquoise. favorite pieces of jewelry : burgundy and black rosary(though im not religious, its beautiful), huge emerald diamond ring, brown leather cuff, silver bangle cuff(a la cameron diaz in In Her Shoes)
(i absolutely loved it because it was soo me and i think the guys noticed too :smile:. it was different from what other girls at my college were wearing at the time)

*april - light brown with blonde highlights & side swept bangs, beachy california style : wearing more white, lavendar & bright colors like yellow & pink, bronze(olivey gold)flip flops, tank tops, hoodies, pale pink or burgundy nail polish, medium wash boot cut jeans. dark brown chanel 'mask spirit' sunglasses with silver detailing and quilted temples
(getting too warm for boots but adding more bright colors)

*june - red head a la lindsay in "over" music video, longer side swept bangs that covers my eyes. still in tanks but in every color of the rainbow, light bootcut/skinny flare dark jeans for flip flops/flats and flared medium wash jeans for stilletos, dressier jewelry, bcbgirls silver flats, a little more glamourous in black with gold jewelry, black/burgundy/or clear polish, brown/white/turquoise/lavendar flip flops. gold Guess bangles
(i really like my style right now, i have acquired quite a wardrobe! shopping a lot more in the past 6 months than i did in the fall semester in college and before that when i was in highschool!)

Well, am I really so old??? 39 on next Sunday...
As a kid I was fashionwise really with a mind of my own, so no compromise about my clothes!
As a teen I was very addicted on fashion and trends.
In my early 20's I love to look so eccentric and after that my look was very, very minimalistic.
In my 30's I get to this simple chic with some trendy extras
and now quite near to my 40's I think I'm moving foward somewhere between simple chic and pure minimalism - that is my deepest sense of my own style right now!

12-15 ~ the stupid disco girl without no sense of fashion just following the crowd style, you know the tight pants and small tops ehh :sick: :blush:
16-17 ~ etno girl, wooden jewelry, big gipsy skirts, flip flops
18 ~ simple univ student look, jeans and shirt
19-21 ~ check the what are you wearing today thread for that... :lol:

Very good thread idea!

9 - 13 Prissy dresses and skirts ... sometimes with suspenders
14 - 15 Baggy sweatshirts and jeans with bandanas as headbands:ninja:
16-18 Black shirts and jeans with some black shoe ... I had literally 10 different black shirts from Express. I wanted to know how these fashionable people knew how to find fashionable things

19-23 Funky eclectic mixed with classic (Soul meets Punk and randomness). Ballet flats are the feet's uniform lol I love my personal style... I think I'm the only one who can pull it off hehe B)

currently: Tracksuits, sporty, jeans and flats, comfy pants, messy buns.
this is too casual for me but my lifestyle has changed so my style had to change too.
I hope to soon get back up on the glam stuff.
PS- you style sounds great Hip.

When I was really young, my mom made a lot of my stuff. However I'd have stuff from the Bon and Nordstroms, also. Then I started to pick out more pieces that I liked, but my mom had me dressing more conservatively than I would have liked. A lot of my stuff was sale at Target, Kmart, Fred Meyer, so nothing good. I refused to wear dresses and skirts! Then around 6th grade I finally got to shop in the Juniors section where I got a lot on clearance that I liked but fashion wasn't a concern, as my mom forced me into hand-me-down Bill Blass shorts and these ugly women's shorts. I guess that I kinda rebelled because around 8th grade my clothes started to get a little skimpier and I'd mix in a few Hot Topic pieces along with my regular stuff like a Deftones shirt. Freshman year I really took control although my mom still had me in the elementary school dress code. Sophomore year I got okay with skirts and such again and added in a few good hand-me-downs to give me more style. My style hasn't changed much although the clothes have gotten skimpier as a way of rebelling from being in ugly clothes when I was young. My ideal school uniform during the end of the year is a halter top and pair of Soffe cheer shorts since Soffes look somewhat decent and come in any colour imagineable.

I think I first started caring about the way I dressed in early junior high (around age 13). I remember the first time I asked my mum for something I specifically wanted. It was a pair of grey/silver chinos I had seen on a guy in the city, and the next day she bought them for me.
After that she started buying things for me on her trips (she travel alot in her work) and she'd bring home catalogues for brands like energie and diesel which would inspire me and broaden my view on fashon.
I am pretty sure this is the turning point where I started to care about the way clothes fitted on me, how different colours looked good together etc.
The next step was when I actually walked into a store and tried on/picked the clothes myself. I remember how this drastically changed my view on clothing and since that day, I've pretty much bought all my clothes by myself.
Around this time I was mostly wearing tight turtelneck knits and oversized sweaters, loose fitting jeans, snowboard parkas, baseball jackets and black Bjorn Borg boots and sneakers.

The next step in the evolution was when I finished junior high (age 16) and started high school. At this point I was playing in a band and most of my friends were dressing in an Indie-pop way which influenced me heavily. I started wearing slim distressed diesel jeans, which I paired with tight zip-up jerseys with polo shirts or black t-shirts with interesting prints underneath. I wasn't that indie though. I never really liked belonging to a certain sub-culture and I always ended up mixing my style down with a few casual pieces. I also wore a lot of black at this time. Black knits, black jeans and black jackets. The key piece for this period is probably my slim red down jacket from the eighties which I stole from my mum. I was a god among indie kids with that jacket.

The next and probaby most important period is when I went to Osaka, Japan for one year. I was 17 and until then, I had never really known much more about fashion than Diesel, Energie, various swedish brands and Armani suits. Coming to Japan I got quite a shock since I had expected them to dress rather sloppy (I actually believed Swedes, epecially from small cities, were the best dressed people in the world).
The first high-fashion item I wanted was a pair of black snakeskin gucci boots I'd seen in an ad. I couldn't afford them but it sent me out on a quest to find something similiar, which helped me learning about lots of other brands.
What really changed in this period was my view on fashion ideals. I had always thought that a Men's Health body paired with an Armani suit was the ultimate style ideal, but in Japan, all that I saw was androgynous boys with strange clothes, always excelling in the art of matching and layering. Since then I hate the macho ideal, and big tighs are probably the worst things I know.
I started buying my first fashion magazines (Mr High Fashion, Mens No No) and fell in love with brands like Dior Homme, (Reflection, Follow me) 5351, Gucci and CDG. My first purchase was a red, shiny/metallic looking polo shirt from 5351 which retailed for 17 000 YEN I think. At that time I thought it was an enormous ammount of money for a shirt, but I loved it and I think it looked pretty good on me. After that several other purchases followed and my style evolved to a kind of androgynous Glam-rock style. My last purchase in japan was a sleek, dark-brown military coat which I still wear today. People often come up to me and ask where I bought it, I love that kind of reactions on the way I dress :wink:.

From there on, I pretty much just evolved my slim rock-style. Occationaly mixing it with other influences and brands. During the summers I relied heavily on slim t-shirts with original prints, tank tops and vintage jackets. I remember the summer of 2003 when I wore a very slim and short, black velvet jacket which I had bought in a thriftstore, underneath a white fishnet tank, black leather belt, slim Acne jeans, a Dior hip pouch and a pair of burberry black label boots. I guess this where I started to consider myself as pretty good at dressing.
During the winters I always went back to my military coat and black knits and I've actually swiped the dust of my red down a few times as well.
I think my connection with Japan has always given me an advantage. There, most of my friends dresses really well and I can always find great brands with cool, well-fitting clothes that will never reach Sweden.

In early 2004 I made my first Dior Homme purchase which was a bag and a wallet from luster. A few months later I bought some strip t-shirts, the black ripped denim and a denim sport jacket. After that I've been pretty much stuck on Dior Homme.

As of me today (21), I don't think my aesthetic sense has changed that much. I've half peeled of the rock n' roll layer and instead focused on purer elements that I like: things like a slim, androgynous silhouette, darkness, a pinch of avant garde etc. It has helped me alot in developing a more personal style I think. Other than that my budget has steadilty increased and today i can buy a 900 EURO Dior coat on sale and actually think it's quite cheap :blink:.
Since my first year in japan, I've been there twice again. First time just for a few weeks and the second time for a year, I came home in february this year.
Regarding brands, I'm trying to buy other things than DH nowadays. I love buying from small unknown japanese brands but I also like bigger names like number9 and european designers like Ann D and Raf Simons.
Though despite my efforts to buy from other brands, my last purchase was a gorgeous jacket from Dior AW06 that kind of reminds me of Chanel :D.

As far as I can remember I've been obsessed with fashion in one form or another. When I was really young I used to refuse to wear anything but dresses. My mother sewed a lot and made me tons of flowery, pouffy, lacy dresses that I absolutely adored. I wouldn't be caught dead in pants or shorts up until 2nd grade or so.

Throughout elementary school I wasn't too conscious of what I wore, though I always looked forward to "back to school" shopping with my parents. We'd make a whole day out of it. We went out to lunch, went shopping, and got dinner. They did the same for my birthday quite frequently. Come to think of it, I was always rewarded with clothes. Perhaps that's where the obsession started... :smile:

In middle school I went through a faux-preppy stage where I wore Abercrombie, etc. This didn't last too long as I got sick of it and never felt like it really worked on me.

I truly began experimenting in high school. Freshman and sophmore year I wore a lot of dark colors, designer jeans, and boots...very simple outfits. However, I did go shopping (sometimes window shopping) a lot and got to know what worked on my body and what didn't.

Junior year (around 16) I went through a few phases. First was my skater look where I wore baggier jeans, fitted tees, sneakers, and hoodies. Then came my hippie phase which lasted through until senior year. I became very much experimental at this time and wore a lot of different colors, bought an "it" bag (botkier), and became much more fashionable in general. My yearbook did a "fashion spread" where they chronicled some different looks. I was picked for "trendy," where I wore my paper denim & cloth "ripper" jeans tucked into my Ugg boots (lol), a lime green tee layered over a teal tank, and a bunch of jewelry. Granted, I already look back and laugh at it, but it's fun nonetheless.

Now, as a college junior, I am still fairly experimental, though I do prefer dark colors (black mostly). I like experimenting with layering and textures and creating my own designs. As for designers/brands, I love philip lim, cdg, chloe, levis and seven jeans, some marc jacobs, some bcbg, catherine malandrino. That's not to say I can afford all of them, but I do a great deal of bargain shopping.

I think my style is progressing just how I would like it to, I don't think I've necessarily perfected my "look," but I'm definitely getting closer to where I want to be. :smile:

:woot: wow Ianastar. I saw a photo of you in one of the threads--I wouldn't have guessed you had all this history. Surfer fashion and glam rock is so far apart ~~~~ lol

I've always dressed casually but grew up a little more sophisticated, like Charlotte Gainsbourg.

I had a blue/white/red wardrobe as a child, but half of my wardrobe was red. Red wool shirts, peacoats, mini dresses, hats, scarves, mittens, and shoes.

Between 8 and 10, I'd wear those nautical stripes paired with jeans (coincidentally, I've found a pic of Charlotte with the same outfit). Oh, and leggings with 80's prints and tacky plastic hair accessories.

Like a lot of people here, at some point, I had a punk/grunge phase during my teens (which faded really fast). I loved punk rock, then hated it, and today I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->