Yves Saint Laurent Mens S/S 10 Paris

khyrk

Oh Yeah!
Reaction score
RISING SON: Stefano Pilati is still feeling cinematic. To present his spring/summer men’s wear collection for Yves Saint Laurent in Paris Wednesday night, he plans to screen a short film by Samuel Benchetrit, a French film director, actor – and the dashing other half of actress Anna Mouglalis. The house is mum on the plot, but the protagonist is Benchetrit’s 11-year-old son, Jules (and the fashion news will not be the launch of a children’s wear line.) Pilati also plans to stage a mini fashion show after the screening at YSL’s Rue d’Artois showrooms. Last season, Pilati featured a film by photographers Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin that featured actor Michael Pitt.

ysl.jpg

Samuel Benchetrit filming his son, Jules, for YSL men’s wear.

wwd

I'm sorry but the idea of having an 11-year-old boy in the presentation for Yves Saint Laurent is just completely and utterly ridiculous.

Children in high fashion can only work when it has an ironic twist ie. Marc Jacobs/Dakota Fanning. But for Yves Saint-Laurent? :innocent:

Michael Pitt and the Inez/Vinoodh made sense. But a child? It's just bizzare and to be honest, pretentious on Pilati's behalf.

Oh god, I can't even estimate how many of my hipster friends will post this on their facebook.

No, children aren't allowed. Children should be banned from fashion.
I still have shuddering memories of some brat crying at least seasons Gaultier.
Why do people insist on creating these videos for fashion? They never show the clothes off well, and that's all anyone wants to see - vent your creativity though the clothes !

All I see is that Pilati is really trying to understand menswear in other terms of pure commerce !
He seems to think his MEN customers are far different from the WOMEN ! and perhaps more confident ...
He does video (instead of show) and barely advertise for menswear collections !! While on the other side, he does shows and Manifesto for his womenswear ...

I don't know if he doesn't care about menswear and just tries to do something different for them. or maybe he just has less budget for menswear !

About the child ... Well, why not ? We don't know if Pilati leaves freedom to his film directors or not. If he does, then he is not the one to blame ...

And about the video medium in fashion presentation, I think this is interesting ... the Gareth Pugh one was great ! And you could totaly see the outfits ! imo way better than on a picture from catwalking !!!!
Anyway, any real YSL customer would go and see in the shops !

I prefer the idea of videos actually, they give way more insight into the designer's vision for people that care about it, and its much more modern way to show clothes than a 'styled' runway show. There will still be a presentation of clothes anyway.

It probably puts less stress on the designers to do smaller presentations, and costs less, so in an ideal world more time/money is spent developing the product.

Why do people insist on creating these videos for fashion? They never show the clothes off well, and that's all anyone wants to see

Couldn't agree more.

Anyway, any real YSL customer would go and see in the shops !

I guess you're right but unfortunately, not everyone live near a YSL store and would still love to be able to have a better look at the collection -- if you can't see them enough in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but the idea of having an 11-year-old boy in the presentation for Yves Saint Laurent is just completely and utterly ridiculous.

Children in high fashion can only work when it has an ironic twist ie. Marc Jacobs/Dakota Fanning. But for Yves Saint-Laurent? :innocent:

Michael Pitt and the Inez/Vinoodh made sense. But a child? It's just bizzare and to be honest, pretentious on Pilati's behalf.

SO true.

I guess you're right but unfortunately, not everyone live near a YSL store and would still love to be able to have a better look at the collection -- if you can't see them enough in the video.

I think Pilati says something like "It is important to make efforts when you really want something !"

- not sure about the real thing ... taz should say it better !

Interesting... I hope that he boy could pull it off..
Can't wait to see the video..

i've been loving the YSL videos so far. THe point is he would always have a proper catalogue for the clothes anyway, so it's not like you wont be able to view every single outfit. Also, Alaia never has any catwalk shows or advertisements and people still lust over his clothes so i dont think it's much of a problem here.

agh. dissapointment to the max. i wanted a runway show!

i've heard these videos are nothing but inventive cost cutting saving money on models, expensive venues, etc. i'm supposing those past two rtw collections did not sell that well....:innocent:

- not sure about the real thing ... taz should say it better !

well you are putting a huge responsibilty on my shoulders BR :unsure:.

well I need to watch the movie to make my judgemnt , but that posted early image reminded me about my self when I was at that age or even younger & I used to open my father closet & flip through his wardobe & trying his coat, jackets , ties , cufflinks, ...., even his aftershave & sometimes I wore his newly purchased clothes before him. didn't we all did that?

With all my respects...
I think this Stefano guy just lost it
So snob!
I hate that

There will be a presentation like last time at YSL’s Rue d’Artois showrooms. So, it's not about cost cutting.

I don't know, despite how much I like Pilati's YSL clothes and enjoy modern gadget/gimmick, I feel annoyed to his dos and don'ts, as he always tends to do exactly what he dissed about as recorded in press: be it using male models vs prefer having conversation with men. Or dissing Slimane's youth obsession vs his use of Ash Stymest and George Barnett and other SLimane-esque boys on his AW09 catwalk. Let alone his infamous black female fitting model vs the use of Naomi Campbell in AW08.

Maybe he really should focus more on the clothes, live in recluse like Saint Laurent, talk less, if not film less... then, maybe he has a chance to reverse the contribution between the mix of handbag vs garment in the house, as it should be, since Saint Laurent is/should not be a handbag house, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndresKlayr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->