Yves Saint Laurent Mens S/S 10 Paris

I guess at 23, I am an old fart to expect some relevant presentation to see the clothes, not some 'arts-y' pretentious delivery from some fashion designer whose menswear is mundane at best. I hate seeing kids in grown up clothes. It is perverse and stupid at the same time.

I do not think I have the patience to watch a video to catch a few glimpses of useless clothing from Pilati's YSL.

How about that PPR?

I'd rather see this on a homeless person than on a *CENSORED* 11-year-old.

from french Vogue:

Samuel Benchetrit pour Yves Saint Laurent

La diffusion d'un mini-film avant le défilé homme est désormais une véritable tradition pour les maisons. Le directeur artistique d'Yves Saint Laurent, Stefano Pilati, a ainsi demandé à Samuel Benchetrit de réaliser un court-métrage en noir et blanc, qui sera diffusé avant la présentation de la collection Homme Printemps-Eté 2010, le 24 juin 2009, et qui révèle Jules, le fils de Samuel Benchetrit et âgé de 11 ans. Rappelons que lors du défilé Automne-Hiver 2009-10, les photographes Inez van Lamsweerde et Vinoodh présentaient un court métrage avec Michael Pitt comme acteur principal, dans la continuité de Simon Woods qui était la star de la vidéo du défilé Automne-Hiver 2008-09.
Virginie Godin
090623-samuel-benchetrit-pour-yves-saint-l.aspx68526PageMainImageRef.jpg

vogue.fr

well you are putting a huge responsibilty on my shoulders BR :unsure:.

well I need to watch the movie to make my judgemnt , but that posted early image reminded me about my self when I was at that age or even younger & I used to open my father closet & flip through his wardobe & trying his coat, jackets , ties , cufflinks, ...., even his aftershave & sometimes I wore his newly purchased clothes before him. didn't we all did that?

Lol, yeah, because my father bought clothes . . :lol:

I'd rather see this on a homeless person than on a *CENSORED* 11-year-old.

... it's still a fashion presentation we are talking about, right? it's not as if they had been filming in caves and coal mines in congo...:unsure:

I just don't think this is the way the YSL brand needs to be communicated to the world right now. Maybe in another situation but now, I can't take it seriously. Don't mind the videos, thought the one for fall 08 was fantastic, but this? And last season was a little lame, too.

Film is the perfect medium, if you will. With any collection, not only can a good short film present the clothes, but place them in a time, space...Even let us know what they sound like when they are rubbed or rained on, etc.

I mean this is a really good way to sell clothes. Don't a lot of people take cues from tv programs? Anyways, I think this is a really neat way to present the clothes if done well.

^ The thing is though that last season didn't present the clothes very well at all. If I recall correctly it was just a closeup of the actor saying his lines and looking lusty along with the off-screen female voice. Ultimately it was a useless piece of "art" that didn't actually have anything to do with the collection, and there's no guarantee that this one will either.

Ultimately I think my distaste for this current trend Pilati is exploring for menswear comes from the fact that YSL isn't a conceptual house and Pilati isn't a conceptual designer. It's fine that YSL is watching it's budget and not staging a full show for menswear, but the videos are unnecessary and further emphasize my belief that Pilati has been trying to be something he's not lately.

Pushing the envelope to do something extraordinary, or out of the conventional realm of operating things in fashion presentations, isn't something so new and clever at this point. Everyone does a video, and mostly they suck. I remember that Prada mens fragrance video disaster last year, or sometime around that... It was an embarrassment on every account.

If you do not have anything to say or show, editing some lame images together, then adding some pretentious and pseudo-intellectual content to the whole picture-play do not solve the problem at hand. One has to find a way to communicate both the vision and the products. These videos should be treated like a sidebar amuse-bouche or something to a tasty meal afterwards. I do not get it. Plus, casting a kid to present clothes??? It is lame.

Ford had an idea of casting dwarves for some Gucci ad campaign some season earlier in his career, and if I am not mistaken, they had swiftly terminated that idea and turned it into some editorial instead... and for good reason. (you can see the ed in his book actually) Other than the obvious 'spectacle' value, a kid has no place showing off stuffy designs by YSL Homme. If there were a solid presentation at hand, then an additional video could be acceptable, or i better say, more than welcome.

Pilati constantly falls shorts. What he is trying to do with this brand- I have no idea about. No one follows YSL Homme to get their latest fashion 'fix' for their mens fashion needs, but still, the line could be so much more than what it is right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ The thing is though that last season didn't present the clothes very well at all. If I recall correctly it was just a closeup of the actor saying his lines and looking lusty along with the off-screen female voice. Ultimately it was a useless piece of "art" that didn't actually have anything to do with the collection, and there's no guarantee that this one will either.

Ultimately I think my distaste for this current trend Pilati is exploring for menswear comes from the fact that YSL isn't a conceptual house and Pilati isn't a conceptual designer. It's fine that YSL is watching it's budget and not staging a full show for menswear, but the videos are unnecessary and further emphasize my belief that Pilati has been trying to be something he's not lately.

i would be curious to know what is conceptual about making videos ??
:huh: - though i'm not sure i really understood what you meant ...

Pilati is not a conceptual designer, but YSL has real relationships with Arts ... Why Pilati could not try his way in this field ? My main problem is that he doesn't know how to choose the artists ...
I barely ever noticed I&V were video artists, nor I think Samuel Benchetrit is someone interesting ....
:ninja:

I would be very interested to know how everything happens. Do Pilati choose the artists alone ? Do the artists have 100% freedom to create a video and a storyline ? Who does the casting ? ETC.
Sincerely ... It's very odd to talk and talk about YSL Menswear and Pilati doing videos since we never heard Pilati himself talking about it and never read anything about it, except basic informations !

And some questions ... Since YSL is now dead, don't you think Pilati is like trying to kill the Father ? And since YSL is a LABEL - which isn't design by YSL himself and belong to PPR - must it still exist through its past ? Can't it evolve to the future - without EVERY TIME, EVERY SEASON - referring to its past ?

hate the idea of videos, so pretentious. wasnt there an actual show for fall0910?

^yes there was !!

by the way ... another question : was Olivier Saillard involved in the video ?
The lines reminded me his work ...

I would be very interested to know how everything happens. Do Pilati choose the artists alone ? Do the artists have 100% freedom to create a video and a storyline ? Who does the casting ? ETC.
Sincerely ... It's very odd to talk and talk about YSL Menswear and Pilati doing videos since we never heard Pilati himself talking about it and never read anything about it, except basic informations !

And some questions ... Since YSL is now dead, don't you think Pilati is like trying to kill the Father ? And since YSL is a LABEL - which isn't design by YSL himself and belong to PPR - must it still exist through its past ? Can't it evolve to the future - without EVERY TIME, EVERY SEASON - referring to its past ?

Well, I always think Pilati has ideas and concepts in his head, but is also under a lot of pressure, and his vision almost always gets crushed at the end - under the heaviness of YSL's past and heritage. Both in womens and menswear respectively. YSL must exist after YSL, and since he is dead, he can do whatever he wants. When Elbaz or Ford were designing the line, everyone was bound to hate everything they did out of respect to YSL and his constant bickering and moaning.

YSL must exist, but today, the Parisian glamor, which the brand had always represented through its very veins and pores, no longer exists in Pilati's vision or his YSL woman. Lanvin or Balenciaga, even Givenchy are carrying that weight. Or that is at least what I think and seem to observe lately.

I think Pilati must find a new way to create a new sense of glamor and these PR tactics aren't 'it'. I am not sure how much he is involved with the video or anything. Mostly designers only say they oversee these creative projects, but in reality, they only give the final approval and lend their names to the end credits.

i always feel super guilty but i have NO patience to watch these fashion videos. i like flipping through the photos and if i don't like a garment, i can immediately go to the next one. some fashion videos are too complicated for my eyes...

Horrible collection! And I'm usually a fan. Did they really send this guy out in a t-shirt?!?!?!?!

why.jpg

catwalking.com

Last edited by a moderator:
^and pants and shoes (and a belt ?) ...

thanks ...

cannot wait to see everything ...
disappointing or not. i wanna see !

^A super weird choice for me. Every other look had a jacket, except for two and they vest and a really intricate knit top. Kinda looks like they ran out of clothes towards the end of the show or something.

Yeah, I want to see the rest. That shot definitely leaves a lot to be desired though. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->