The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Uk weather doesn't exactly encourage us to make great investments either. I have only recently come to this conclusion, so perhaps I've been sleepwalking for too long! It was only when casting my eye over the superfluous stuff that I had excitedly accumulated in anticipation of the warmer months that I realized something had to be done: it was time to severely downsize, alter my habits, de-junk my wardrobe space. And it felt good, yet terrifying. But now I can relax and carefully (and sensibly!) plot my future essentials, my dream items, etc. There were so many weather inappropriate garments in my collection, and barely any of them remarkable quality.

The same applies to shoes/boots also: in future, I shall certainly bear the incessant rain, gales and sludge in mind when searching for new footwear. Fancy open sandals and flimsy flats are not going to stand the test of time here.

^ I would think UK weather is perfect for investment dressing! The real investment pieces are the fall/winter ones, and that is your predominant season. Where I live now, warm weather is predominant (it's been over 100 degrees for weeks now), and to me that makes it more of a challenge. But far from impossible ...

I am moving to nothern England this coming year and even if I spent some time in London before I have mostly lived in VERY sunny and warm places..
Anyway, I brought 2 pairs of boots rain and leather and a coat so far.. I don't know if the coat will be enough for this weather but we will see.. Hopefully I'll find more colourful items in the future! It's going to be a challenge to really change my way of dressing upside down, but since I have already thrown away/given 3/4 of my stuff I guess it's going to be easier than it sounds :lol:

Attachments

• 160252_in_dl.jpg
    160252_in_dl.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 115811_in_dl.jpg
    115811_in_dl.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 101887_fr_dl.jpg
    101887_fr_dl.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm also already thinking about fall and winter...I decided I'm not going to buy any summer pieced any more (maybe if I find something super cheap in a thrift store).

I will soon start to make a list for fall/winter with 4-5 pieces.

What about basics actually? I assume they do not count to the 4-5 pieces, right?

I'm also already thinking about fall and winter...I decided I'm not going to buy any summer pieced any more (maybe if I find something super cheap in a thrift store).

I will soon start to make a list for fall/winter with 4-5 pieces.

What about basics actually? I assume they do not count to the 4-5 pieces, right?

In my world, basics do count ... everyone customizes their own approach. If you look back in the first few pages of this continuation thread, I posted a summary.

Ammarra, don't forget the possibilities of layering. For example, I wear a knit top and tights with suede booties under a silk halter dress--one of my favorite transitional outfits. And several light layers can be warmer than one heavy one because they trap heat very efficiently.

I like both your pairs of boots!

yeah maybe basics should not count...I really like the idea of a small but perfect wardrobe

Last edited by a moderator:
My current AW list looks like this:

Basics:
- Grey jeans (have found a pair, need to try them on though)
- Striped shirt (replacement)
- Black winter boots. Not sure wether to go for it or not. The danish weather calls for boots, but I simply do not feel comfortable in them.

Else:

- Striped cardi, shown earlier in this thread (I went ahead and bought it)
- Yellow scarf

I do not count basics and replacement, so I actually have guite a lot of space for what I'll end up wanting.

yeah maybe basics should not count...I really like the idea of a small but perfect wardrobe

The 4-5 are 'key' pieces ... the way I dress is a combination of basic (hopefully with a little twist) and statement pieces, so both are key in my wardrobe.

I tend to like to buy basics at a mid price point, but I also understand people who think they're what you should spend the most on. I do think it makes sense to buy the best coat you can afford, and that is definitely both key and basic. (I also have a more fun coat that also works for evening wear that I bought at a mid price point--but it looks like it could be more expensive.)

yeah, same here...my style is very simple and sort of "pure" so it usually only consists of basics and one key piece....But I neglected buying good basics. I feel like my wardrobe is full of these key pieces, which I can only put together with lots of basics which lack.
I think Im going to invest in good basics for fall/winter

Hi guys!

I have been absent for a while since I know there will be no shopping for me in the next months or only very little. However, I have decided that the lack of shopping money is actually the best condition to stay really focused. I think for the first time in my life I'll really buy only 4 pieces in one season - basics included.

Right now I don't need anything VERY urgently, I shopped very wisely during the past few months. However, in fall/winter I plan to replace

- two pair of jeans (one to hem with flat, one to hem with heels)
- a knee high boot with a medium heel

If the budget allows, I'll also try to add
- a winter coat. Not too found of my old winter coats but they could do for another season
- a top for transseasonal temperatures. I own quite a few warm sweaters but not much stuff for those temperatures between 10 and 16 degrees Celsius

So the goal this is season to stay extremely focused on these items and to be very patient and careful before spending even a small amount. Let's see how good I'll be :-)

Hi guys!

I have been absent for a while since I know there will be no shopping for me in the next months or only very little. However, I have decided that the lack of shopping money is actually the best condition to stay really focused. I think for the first time in my life I'll really buy only 4 pieces in one season - basics included.

Right now I don't need anything VERY urgently, I shopped very wisely during the past few months. However, in fall/winter I plan to replace

- two pair of jeans (one to hem with flat, one to hem with heels)
- a knee high boot with a medium heel

If the budget allows, I'll also try to add
- a winter coat. Not too found of my old winter coats but they could do for another season
- a top for transseasonal temperatures. I own quite a few warm sweaters but not much stuff for those temperatures between 10 and 16 degrees Celsius

So the goal this is season to stay extremely focused on these items and to be very patient and careful before spending even a small amount. Let's see how good I'll be :-)

Nice to hear from you :flower: and good job! Wish I had done that well.

-----------

I've been doing the 30 for 30 challenge (pick 30 items and transform them into 30 different outfits in 30 days) and this time it has really helped me realize what I truly need. It would be:

- Grey jeans. Even though I love dresses I need pants, and the pink ones i bought already broke in the zipper, so they're going back. I have a pair of blue jeans, but I need something a bit more dressy, and since I don't like black jeans grey jeans will be perfect. Also seems to fit better with my tops.
- More flat, practical shoes. I love heels, but I tend to live in my black ballerinas, so I have to buy new ballerinas every 3rd month and it annoys me, so I'm thinking about buying a pair of black brogues as an alternate.

so, my items for fall:

- chiffon blouse, something like that:
AAAADIxKIIQAAAAAAB0oRw.jpg

kaboodle.com
- knitted sweater
- nightie
- 3 pairs of thights: opaque, lacey and spotted
- maybe some new boots? because mine are getting little wasted

i finally got to the point where i have all the essentials. i can just focus on buying few things that i really want for new season.

you might still be able to find some star blouses at zara. :flower:

i want one too!

oh thank you for the tip! i feel in love with stars for fall 2011 :smile:

Betinapple, you might try buying ballet flats in a couple additional versatile colors (for your wardrobe) ... it's best for shoes not to wear them two days running. Three months is too often to have to be replacing a shoe IMO (you know I always have one :wink:) ... a good ballet should be repairable. You may want to look at increasing the price point ...

In fall/winter I wear jeans nearly every day but I only have 3 pairs -- one of them is hideous and I only wear them in emergencies, one doesn't go with everything, and one pair is perfect. So I really need 1-2 more pairs.

I will try to shop extremely careful for fall/winter as I often make the mistake of buying things that dont fit with my other close (either texture wise or colour/pattern wise)

I havent completed my wish list yet but so far its:

- light blue blouse/shirt (have already bought a nice one from Zara) [x]
- brown knitted cardigan (warm) - has anyone seen a nice one?
- a new winter coat in dark blue

I plan on buying two more items - I think about buying a light grey or beige wool sweater and maybe black shoes, or maybe a new pair of pants...I'm really not sure yet

Betinapple, you might try buying ballet flats in a couple additional versatile colors (for your wardrobe) ... it's best for shoes not to wear them two days running. Three months is too often to have to be replacing a shoe IMO (you know I always have one :wink:) ... a good ballet should be repairable. You may want to look at increasing the price point ...

Yeah, I think the problem is that I need more flats. I have loads of heels, but on everyday occasions I usually end up in flats, because I use public transportation and walk a lot. I definetely think 3 months is to short a life time for shoes, so I need something to change with. The problem is, that with shoes I have to make investments, since my feet loathe faux leather and I can not wear shoes with too thin a sole, since my feet will start to hurt (to a point where I can not walk). I have two pairs of black ballerinas (but the one pair is too thin in the sole) that both need to be taken care of with some shoe creme, a pair of green satin ballerinas and a pair of dark green patent brogues.

I've found a pair of black brogues in real leather, which are reduced rediculuosly much (costs 15 dollars now) that I'm thinking about buying. I love my green brogues, and I think they add a nice touch to my dresses, but because of the colour I have to choose the black ballerinas. So I think they would be a good investment, since they have a good sole and do not tend to get worn out as fast as ballerina flats.

Hello everyone, Ive been lurking around this tread for a while since I really love the idea of having a samll but very refind wardrobe, the weather here is absolutely terrible atm, so Ive kind of given up on buying summer items but rather focusing on autumn/winter.
I just three pair of shoes, two from COS (classic Chelsea boots and black leather boots with a heel) as well as flat higher boots by Riccarda Cartillione, a italian brand (how fitting for the french wardrobe, haha)
Anyway Ill need a new jacket for autumn, since I only have blazers, cardigans or a padded leather jacket which would be too warm I think.
I thought about the classic waxed Barbour jacket, I mainly wear black so itd go with everything but Im not too sure whether it doesnt scream English landlord too much :lol:
Combined with skinny jeans and patent leather flats it could look quite good I think would Id like to hear your opinion about it :flower: Respectively, what kind of jacket would you suggest ?!
mantel03.jpg

perfect-gentleman.com

Brogues... Oh, add them to my tiny list. I totally forgot. Like you, Betinapple, I feel I need a pair of practical flats. I don't think I'll shop in August and September though, we'll see.

Betinapple: I think you might try buying a bit better quality. Even if something is "real leather" it doesn't mean it is good quality. If something is cheap there is more danger that it falls apart soon - and I agree with fashionista-ta, shoes shouldn't fall apart after three months. Even if you wear them a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->