The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't agree more, and that 'turquoise book' sounds terrible. I especially dislike it when women tell other women (or people tell other people, really) that something about their bodies is not 'fashionable'. not the way they dress, but the way their bodies are. ugh. I know so many women who feel that fashion and style is only for those with a perfect body - whatever that may be, if it even exists - and that they, not being perfect, do not deserve to be stylish. it makes me sad. and mad. :smile:

Oh, I definitely don't only dislike it when women do that, it's just... most women already feel so much pressure to look a certain way to please men (or other women) and for society's standards in general... why do we make it worse for each other? Most women will be quick to say a man is a jerk if he rejects a woman based on how her body looks, but they will also be quick to say things like "your butt/boobs/thighs is/are too big to look good in that", even when they have their own insecurities and know how hard it is.

^indeed. it's the blaming of the body parts that is just so wrong and hurtful.

my mini-theory is that when wearing/trying on clothes, women feel like they have to do the clothes justice. they have to live up to the beauty of the sweater. when men get dressed or try on clothes at a shop, what they are looking for is that the clothes make them look good, that it suits their style and needs. of course this is grossly generalized, and I'm sure there are lots of people for whom this is not true. I mean, I know some people for whom it is absolutely not true. but I've noticed this tendency in the people around me, and in myself - it's a tendency I fight and have fought in myself, and I feel much better when I practice the 'masculine' approach. that approach is definitely a key part of the e 4-5 piece method for me.
have you guys noticed this tendency around you, in yourselves? what do you think?

I couldn't agree more, and that 'turquoise book' sounds terrible. I especially dislike it when women tell other women (or people tell other people, really) that something about their bodies is not 'fashionable'. not the way they dress, but the way their bodies are. ugh. I know so many women who feel that fashion and style is only for those with a perfect body - whatever that may be, if it even exists - and that they, not being perfect, do not deserve to be stylish. it makes me sad. and mad. :smile:

absolutely!! i know people who feel this way, & i hate it. being human is your ticket to all of life's good things ... that's it, nothing more.

my mini-theory is that when wearing/trying on clothes, women feel like they have to do the clothes justice. they have to live up to the beauty of the sweater. when men get dressed or try on clothes at a shop, what they are looking for is that the clothes make them look good, that it suits their style and needs. of course this is grossly generalized, and I'm sure there are lots of people for whom this is not true. I mean, I know some people for whom it is absolutely not true. but I've noticed this tendency in the people around me, and in myself - it's a tendency I fight and have fought in myself, and I feel much better when I practice the 'masculine' approach. that approach is definitely a key part of the e 4-5 piece method for me.
have you guys noticed this tendency around you, in yourselves? what do you think?

hmm, interesting! i have not ever felt that way ... but i have noticed a fabulous new item making other things in my closet look declasse :lol:

when i worked in a men's store, most of the men seemed to have a very utilitarian approach to clothes. maybe there was a funeral, or a suit or jacket had worn out. some people's anxieties really came up--about what was & wasn't masculine. one guy seemed to think it wasn't masculine to spend more than 5 seconds contemplating a purchase, so none of his stuff went together. i remember only one customer who really was into the whole process--granted, i'm sure there are lots of men like that, they were just shopping elsewhere. but, this concern you mention i never heard a man express in any way, that i can remember.

I was considering getting a pair of riding style boots for winter. Might have to rethink that.

I have been doing some research just to figure out what I like but I am not quite sure that it is me. I've sold the long boots I've owned in the past because I felt weird wearing them. I just thought a pair of riding style boots would look good worn with a full skirt, silk blouse and cardigan, or jeans and a blazer. I still love the thought of that look. What do you think?

I think that can look great, Betinapple. it's not my style at all, but that is not important of course - to me, the proportions of the outfits you described sound great. and the real question is whether it's your style. maybe it can help to ask yourself what it was about the boots that made you feel weird wearing them?

I think that can look great, Betinapple. it's not my style at all, but that is not important of course - to me, the proportions of the outfits you described sound great. and the real question is whether it's your style. maybe it can help to ask yourself what it was about the boots that made you feel weird wearing them?

I felt that the long boots made my legs look short and that is why I got rid of them. I do not know if I will feel the same again.

I'm 5'9'' (and therefore don't have the shortest of legs) and I found that those kind of boots made my legs shorter, too. I used to have a pair, and I wore them until they weren't good anymore, but I never looked back. I like the look of riding books with jeans tucked in etc, but I hate them enough on me so that I won't buy a pair. I think you should ponder it wisely, maybe try on a couple of pairs, even if at random, to see whether you still feel the same?

(I have a pair of Hunters, and those make me feel stumpy too, but they're just so handy when it rains!)

really - i always felt that riding boots, given they have the right length and toe shape, made my legs look longer... maybe a little heel just a little bit.

i used to live in my riding boots for the last 3 winters, but now they are completely destroyed... hope i'll find some next winter... they were just perfect.

i love how active this thread is, very interesting to read! :smile:

Boots: Actually I love my riding boots. I'm really short but I never felt they made me look shorter... Quite the contrary. I feel very comfortable in them. But sometimes I don't put them on because I'm too worried they get ruined in the snow and with the salt on the streets...

Denim jacket: I went ahead and ordered the Acne denim jacket... Hope it'll be with me in a few days :blush: I'll let you know if it fits!

I do agree some people seem to look taller/leaner in riding boots... they just don't do the same for me. It could be because I have pretty thick calves (swimmers body) and they make them look bigger, the same way crew necks make chests look bigger because it's too much fabric covering them.

Thx for your advice ladies. Guess I'll have to try some on and then think thorougly about it. Wont be purchasing them before fall anyway.

with boots, it matters so much where the boot 'hits' you on your leg, the shape of the boot, the material, the colour, what you wear them with... if you find a pair that makes you feel great, hurray! if not - there's so much footwear out there that will make you feel good, look good, and keep your feet toasty in winter!

with boots, it matters so much where the boot 'hits' you on your leg, the shape of the boot, the material, the colour, what you wear them with... if you find a pair that makes you feel great, hurray! if not - there's so much footwear out there that will make you feel good, look good, and keep your feet toasty in winter!

You are perfectly right. There are exceptions to everything. I would have never thought that ancle boots would make my legs look great but the pistol boots has a longer shaft and therefore elongates the legs instead of making them look shorter.

red and navy: I'm kind of excited for you to receive the Acne jacket! it's just so cool :smile: here's hoping it'll be just as great on you as it is on its own!

red and navy: I'm kind of excited for you to receive the Acne jacket! it's just so cool :smile: here's hoping it'll be just as great on you as it is on its own!

Awwww... Thank you!!! I like that they had small sizes, I ordered a FR34 and hope it will suit me. I'm so excited to receive it. It's always cool when you finally get something you have been thinking about for a long time.

betina, what if you wear a long skirt with the boots?

twistelette, i was reminded of your post when shopping yesterday ... i mentioned in the shopping thread that the miu miu sandals i'd wanted were extremely uncomfortable just to stand in, which makes them an automatic no for me.

but the (female) sa was explaining how she thought my feet could be broken in to tolerate the shoes :lol:

now unlike thoreau i'm not automatically suspicious of any occasion requiring new clothes, but a pair of shoes i'm paying for that requires my body to be broken in? you are not speaking my language.

when she brought out some spiked shoes & i said i didn't care for spikes she informed me they are very popular. thanks for the newsflash, i had no idea :innocent:

So as I posted on the shopping list thread yesterday I bought that watercolor tee and today the PERFECT pair of high rise very dark blue jeans, They are sooo flattering, I'm super happy! :D:D
My next objective is the beige sweater I've told you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->