A Supermodel? No Thanks

Are things generally worse in Paris than in New york? just wondering....

I just find that disturbing to wake up to come out of your room seeing your roomates all doped up around the couch but i guess thats normal...

i dont think anyones arguing that drugs and EDs arent rampant within the industry, but everything is avoidable. modeling has got to be the strangest profession on earth. you're never home, almost never with the same people, and always seeking some kind of companionship within the short time you stay in one place. if you dont keep your feet on the ground its easy to get swept away by the lifestyle.

*EllaH said:
And you can say learnt or learned, learned is more common in american english.

I think learnt is the proper past tense, american english is a bit :yuk:

and yes i think gemma clarkes aussie?

I think that the article is very well written and very true. Pressures in the modeling industry often take a psychological toll on models. Yes, I agree there are some models who may not be affected as much as others and those are the lucky ones. I have read many quotes from top models who say that they do not love their jobs, but are in it for the money and they realize what an opportunity it is. That is something that each model must weigh.

yourbestfriend said:
Are things generally worse in Paris than in New york? just wondering....

I just find that disturbing to wake up to come out of your room seeing your roomates all doped up around the couch but i guess thats normal...

haha I know more doped up non models that I do models. :innocent:

Paris is "worse" as far as they are the most strict when it comes to being very tall and very skinny. But each city has their own "look".

AlmostFamous said:
I understand that she quit. I guess I'm using "she" to represent all of the girls that I've lived with that are constantly complaining.

And yes, this girl, Gemma, did quit..but no one said she had to endure as much as she did. She could have stopped long before she did.

Everyone's modeling expirience is different, I'm aware. But no one is going to be happy doing something they dont truly enjoy. That goes for any job.

And I'm not saying I'm the most self assured person/model out there. As anyone that knows me personally, I have plenty of my moments worrying about my weight/hair color/whatever. But I have learned that I can't be liked and used by every client I have met. That's just silly.

It's not easy for someone who's got hopes about any kind of job to just quit when they aspire for something better in the future. And it's part of being mature to be able to thrive under the pressure of a professional environment. Quitting every job that makes one unhappy is unrealistic - one day they'll have to adapt to the reality of things and settle for whatever they take. Nonetheless, in this Gemma person case, she soon realised that the modelling business wasn't for her - and she was able make a choice (as I assume some girls aren't). I'm sure that her job as a sports journalist isn't all perks, but since she likes it, she can endure the difficulties. In the real world, people usually have to keep up even when things aren't the way they like, because they believe it might get better someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->