Alexander McQueen Resort 2011

I think we already are - just in this collection and the spring menswear collection I can see a new softness that isn't so McQueen.
The second look, the dress-coat, has a much more unstructured fall to the fabric which I don't recognize as McQueen, and the trouser-bolero look is very feminine.
I think Sarah Burton may be slowly bringing femininity to a label that is more renowned for its dangerous beauty than its girlish delights.
You know, I had zeroed in on that coat dress as well because even though it looks very McQueen, there is something about it that's not quite him.

Bravo Sarah!

I was extremely nervous about her womenswear debut under her helm at Lee's label and she delivered!

The collection is very McQueen ... though it has a certain early McQueen days feel for me ... not quite a retrospective but there's a ghost like feel that Lee himself gave touches to every single piece ...

Some of course looks pitch perfect McQueen .. like the lace dress and the two last dresses .. they're utter and complete McQueen, no doubt about it (which makes me wonder who much input had Lee on previous collections and how much Sarah was able to sneak in from her point of view into McQueen's label)

The first coat is the one who baffles me ... the shape is new .. McQueen does much more body-hugging form fitting pieces and the shape is weird ... the print is something almost could pass for Lee's but Im not sure ...

This collection makes me wonder if we are gonna see a more minimal approach to the label ...

I'm beyond pleased. It's still all very Mcqueen and looks absolutely beautiful. The fourth dress looks like it stepped straight out of a fairytale. Definitely my favorite look out of the bunch.

What a stunning job she just did. She's absolutely paying respect to the legacy of Alexander McQueen and at the same time kind of adding a new touch to the brand. Of course we still can't see much of HER dna but it's just obvious, this is her first time. But what a wonderful job she did. I'm so happy to see this

i'm in absolute love with the second to last look, that black dress with the large embroidered sleeves

maybe it's the model, but it looks like something Queen Amidala (from Star Wars) would wear and her gowns were all out of this world...

the FULL collection is up on style.com and there are some amazing gowns / outfits

the full collection is insanely beautiful. i would post it but i have class soon :(

I think she's found a great balance between romantic dresses and sculptural tailoring. She had huge shoes to fill and the outcome is not disappointing.

Well, this collection perfectly reflects the image McQueen has presented in his few last collections, so it's a good way to appease those who liked it.

I hope Sarah will keep evolving with time, too. Keeping my fingers crossed for her ^_^

PARIS, June 21, 2010

By Tim Blanks

Sarah Burton proved she's the only choice to expand on Lee McQueen's legacy with a Resort collection that effortlessly updated his design codes without losing his drama. There's so much great material lying fallow in old McQueen collections that it would overwhelm anyone without the empathy, experience, and ability to edit that Burton brings to a difficult job. For Resort, she confidently revisited some of her own favorite moments in her mentor's saga with a lightness that could be easily construed—for want of a better notion—as a woman's touch.

For instance, a Victorian jacket was reconfigured as a white cotton shirtdress. But, more significantly for the future, proportions were lifted, with a higher waist taking some of the edge off of McQueen's traditional silhouette. It worked spectacularly well with evening dresses that fell away beautifully from the torso. One of them—in what looked like blood-drenched chiffon—evoked a vision of Isabelle Adjani in La Reine Margot, one of McQueen's favorite movies. It seems a taste for the macabre comes as naturally to Burton as it did to him. She shares his instinct for extreme glamour, too. His Hollywood clientele will scarcely be disappointed by the tuxedo dress that was bifurcated by black lace.

The tension between hardness and fragility that characterized McQueen's work was successfully sustained in defined shoulders (some armored like a samurai's) and tailored torsos that fell away into fins of diaphanousness. Burton continued to hybridize fabrics as she did in the Fall collection—lace transformed into chiffon in one cocktail dress.

Touches like that should allay the inevitable fears of McQueen's fans that continuation of his line would involve some kind of sellout. Yes, there is more of what could pass for "daywear" here, but if Burton's collection is commercial, it's because it is direct. Pieces like the white kimono-sleeved coat-dress or the black dress in a lacquered raffia and organza have a straightforward chic.

Burton hasn't neglected the dark romance, either—the brocades, the bullion embroidery are still here. She's simply let some light in.
style.com

wow, great collection!
loved that she kept mcqueen identity alive and put some personal touches on it.

Wow...i wasn't really a major fan of McQueen but even i can tell that this collection stays true to his style/aesthetic. Sarah is doing a great job so far!

I actually like this collection....it's got some great wearable pieces that are feminine and flattering!

I have to say...I am very impressed with this collection. Very much so.

Minus of course the techo-prints and the two red gowns, I think everything is really spot on. I love the brocade gown with the obi back, I adore the black looks, the suiting is stunning. It all looks great.

Well done Sarah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->