softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
ixsarah50.jpg
s.gif
Autumn leaves the girlish far behind

25/07/2007

Sarah Mower salutes the return of womanly silhouettes

Facing the prospect of digging in with nylon rainwear and leopard spot gumboots for the next two weeks for a holiday in Devon, I have never looked forward to the beginning of September quite as keenly. High summer ought to be a moment when coats, knits and boots seem inconceivable. Not this year.

Never mind. In a grim and stoical way, I've decided that having a long time to mull over autumn has its advantages.
I always make my most regretted panic buys in anticipation of the awful back-to-school moment when the massed ranks of female fashion colleagues gather to silently pass or fail what everyone else is wearing on the first day of the shows. After weeks of forethought, I'm not going to let that happen this time.
What you need to do is take a position, and then whittle down your shopping list to the fewest, most effective strikes possible.
The position I'm taking is "womanly". It's the one tag I can think of that best clarifies all the confusing, sometimes downright contradictory, trends that have come out of the collections.
If you get too close, you can get bogged down in the detail. Is it grey or magenta, minimalist tailoring or metallic decoration, jodphurs or flares? They're all there, but if you stand back, the one thing that registers is the dramatic shift from girlish to grown-up.
Since I've spent the entire summer railing against mini-smocks, shorts, leggings and tent-dresses, this is music to me. If last season was a bowdlerisation of the dolly-girl 1960s, the next one is more along the lines of the glamorous 1930s and 1940s.
It means longer, more sinuous lines, skirts that hit the knee or below, and a waist that goes in where a waist is meant to be. So a prime purchase to search for is a plain, curvy dress that can be the central building block of a subtly tweaked wardrobe.
Because the thing is, even though I really liked the deco references in Marc Jacobs' collection, and enjoyed the retro 1940s spirit of Dior, Gucci, Missoni and Bottega Veneta, it would be a mistake to try to ape them to the letter. The skill is all in the adaptation and personalisation.
It is about knowing how to deploy a repertoire of belts, brooches (yes, now is the time to bring out your diamante) or cuffs to make a simple outfit (a dress, or a pencil skirt and sweater) read as modern rather than costumey.

I've decided that a streamlined black dress with cap sleeves by Narciso Rodriguez is a platonic ideal of this kind. You could make it look different in half a dozen ways, yet never feel that you're pretending to be Lauren Bacall.

However, you then have to work with the consequences of this new silhouette. The platforms and wedges that have been around for the past year are still right, but what changes is the cover-up. A Marlene Dietrich-type trenchcoat could be an option, but annoyingly, it will only look right if it's exactly the length of the skirt, or longer.

Long coats are a bit of a drag in real life, though; they're always getting stuck in car doors and turning out to be too hot to wear much. In that case, a hip-length pea-coat of the kind shown by Jil Sander and Stella McCartney is a sharper choice. It looks proportionately right with a long-line skirt, and will marry up with a pair of trousers equally well.

So this is my "womanly" hit-list so far - dress, pencil skirt, pea-coat, and maybe a new pair of two-or-three toned platforms. The rest I reckon that I already own, although I could fall for a great blinging Swarovski-crystalled Christopher Kane black leather belt to punch up that plain black dress for evening.

telegraph.co.uk

call me passe but I am sad that trapeze and babydoll are on their way out....I like them......I have never liked the 40's silhouette very much.

thanks ms grey

yes well...
they can say that all they like...
but the high street stores are still stocking loads of babydoll for fall...
check h&m and uniqlo...there is still loads of it...

actually.....
just TRY to find a good pencil skirt....
:lol:...
it's not so easy actually!...

though i must say that i have some strange craving for a high waisted YSL pencil skirt....as seen on the pollyanna website...
:ninja:

^^I agree that the pencil skirt is overrated...it certainly doesn't do me any favours.....makes me look like a PEAR

i think it just draws unwanted attention to my ASSets......
even if it looks good...it's not what i want people focusing on...

:ninja:

i like her idea of a short boxy jkt though...
i have one from TSE already that i think i am going to make a staple of my fall wardrobe...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope this direction catches on and trickles down soon enough. I love the new mood of sophisticated, womanly clothes.

Never really understood the whole appeal of little girl's silhouettes, they make women with otherwise beautiful figures look really...mushy (silhouette wise)

If I have to see one more 70's colored kitsch-print trapeze dress I'm going on strike, so I say, bring back the waist!

Anything to get women out of babydoll dresses and this cutesy cartoon attitude toward fashion will be a great relief to me. And if mainstream designers would stop making so many baby dresses for developing and fully grown women, I might be willing to go shopping in stores again.

Clothes that would restrict me to being a little girl just piss me off. :ninja:

As for the waist, yes, it is one dimension of the body but I don't necessarily like being cinched up. We have shoulders, hips, wrists, ankles and so much more in the human body that can be used as the structure to drape fabric and show some skin. We don't all have to wear suits.

I have to agree that the pencil skirt look is a tough one to pull off-luckily I am one of the ones who can and I was able to get a ton for $2-$5 at a store in the mall-one geared towards teens, no less-and fill up my wardrobe. I'm sick of trapeze and babydoll!

Long live the waist.

womenly or not...i dont think my age is suitable to look like im in my 40s working in an office. i like the trapeze shape and it's comfortable wearing shapes like that. but anyways..i have enough waist cliching dresses and skirts.
what i really want is a nice trench coat!

Finally the babydoll is gone. I'm so sick of seeing it everywhere and I'm sick of all the tabloids saying stuff like "Oh my God! Is she pregnant?!?! Is she?" :D

I don't want to look like a little girl, but I don't want to wear the 40s silhouette, either. Surely, there must be an in-between.

These abrupt shifts in fashion don't make sense to me. It feels so artificial, like you're just supposed to assume a new identity wholesale.

For myself, I find the babydoll and trapeze dresses charming, but hard to pull off. I see them photographed in a lot of streetstyle blogs, but hardly ever in real life.

The 40s look is similarly hard to pull off. In fact, I'd feel more self-conscious in a pencil skirt and heels than in a babydoll dress. But that's just me.

Because I like more tailored silhouettes, and because I have the confidence to wear suits and more formal styles I wholeheartedly welcome this trend.

I think at a certain age, women typically get to a point where they are comfortable and more confident in defined, structured garments.

At 30, I feel I am too old for the "babydoll" looks, and while I technically have the figure for miniskirts and leggings, I would feel ridiculous in them. I love that options are coming out that are appropriate for professional settings and attractive for people who are over 25 and counting!

In the 1940s, a-line skirts were pretty common, and I would substitute that style with a '40s-style boxy, fitted, or military jacket. It is easier to move in and much more flattering to a wide variety of figures. Trousers are great, too, especially for a Marlene Dietrich appeal. A good pair can make you look sharp, smart, and stylish, yet allow for comfort, freedom of movement, and modesty.

another piece along the same lines...
nytimes.com
The Prêt Set
If names like Walter Albini, Ted Lapidus, Krizia and Guy Laroche don’t send you sprinting to your favorite vintage dealer, it’s time to bone up on your fashion history. By referencing the labels that epitomized European elegance 30 years ago, designers are reliving the golden age of prêt-à-porter — that heady era when dressing down meant settling for tights and Charles Jourdan sandals rather than fishnets and Maud Frizon pumps.
Skip to next paragraph
26pret-2-190.jpg
Arthur Elgort for German Vogue
The model Gia Carangi in makeup by Way Bandy and a statement blouse, 1980.

26pret-190.jpg
Bruno Barbey/Magnum Photos
Backstage at Yves Saint Laurent, 1972.

26pret-4-190.jpg
Paramount/The Kobal Collection
Diana Ross's sultry look in "Mahogany."

Marc Jacobs nailed the look with his tableau vivant of impeccably done-up women in bright narrow coats, ribbed sweaters and multihued, wide-brimmed hats. “I was imagining a handsome, natty woman from late-’70s New York traveling to Italy for the first time,” he says. “I wanted something totally precise, sharp, studied and pulled together, with absolutely nothing extraneous.”

Others were also thinking along these sharply tailored lines. In Paris, Stefano Pilati slyly reimagined Yves Saint Laurent’s halcyon days with raglan sleeves, mannish jackets and evening tuxes worn sans trousers, à la Nan Kempner. At Givenchy, Riccardo Tisci focused on fitted peacoats and working-girl pantsuits that seemed to beg for a Scavullo shoot; Alber Elbaz’s Lanvin collection of important sleeves, satin shifts and eye-popping skirts brimmed with Gallic je ne sais quoi.

“The ’70s were a time of total freedom, where everything was allowed,” says Sonia Rykiel, whose jaunty knits had their heyday back then. “Women’s liberation was in full swing, and we expressed ourselves through glamorous clothes — women spent a lot more time getting ready in front of the mirror than they do now.”

Judging by stylish movies of the time like “Network,” “Mahogany,” “Eyes of Laura Mars” and “The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant,” Rykiel is absolutely right. Head-to-toe ensembles were perfectly matched, cheekbones were geometrically rouged, hair was masterfully set, and eyes were dramatically shaded with creamy pastels or shimmering metallics — if not both. Needless to say, noses were generously powdered, especially in the bathrooms of boîtes like Club Sept and Le Palace.

With its flashes of genius and its intoxicating combination of creativity and excess, the ’70s is not such a bad place to land. There is, mercifully, a limit to how many distressed jeans, baby-doll tops and oversize hobo bags we can stand. Take it from Jacobs: “This is an antidote to everything that we’ve been seeing recently. After all the hoopla of layered, grungy, do-it-yourself fashion, it’s nice to be masochistically flawless.”

* this from the king of grunge...:lol:

krizia... that brings me back... reminds me of my best friend in middle school's fabulously ostentatious russian mother ^_^

for me, this will be a great season for bottoms (wide-leg pants, pencil skirts) and dresses (figure-hugging, to wear with voluminous sweater-coats), so that's what i'll be focusing on.

am also really excited to bring out my little collection of '50s cinch belts for evening. have been waiting for the right time... and i think it's now... :woot:

Take it from Jacobs: “This is an antidote to everything that we’ve been seeing recently. After all the hoopla of layered, grungy, do-it-yourself fashion, it’s nice to be masochistically flawless.”

* this from the king of grunge...:lol:

I thought that quote was a bit peculiar as well, seeing how he has referenced grunge in recent collections! I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he came back a few years from now and said, "After all the hoopla of narrow coats, 1970s inspired pieces and flawlessness, it's nice to be layered and grungy." :wink:

Thank goodness! Being a 34D, I could never pull off the waistless tops and dresses without looking pregnant or just overweight.

Sure, no ones forcing us to wear what we don’t want to wear, but it’s very frustrating when you go into a store and that trend is ALL you see. I didn’t see any variety in the stores this past spring and summer. Sure, have yoru trend, but dont force everyone to comform.

I love the 40's sillhoette because its so womanly and feels extremely businesslike, but its something about the babydoll and trapeze smocks that are so easy to wear, yet still look fantastic, its a shame that the fashion world doesn't seem to be able to incorperate them both.

its a shame that the fashion world doesn't seem to be able to incorperate them both.

well what soft says is right...high st stores are still full of babydoll dresses and it's all over the street.....so i dont think it's going anywhere just yet....
and i agree with helena- i hope it stays...
not that i would stop wearing it even if it 'went'....:lol:...

i love pencil skirts....i just dont find them particularly comfortable....
and i think people look silly when they're squeezing themselves into tight and structured clothes 'just because'....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->