Blake Lively and Penn Badgley split

B
^^ I'm pretty certain I read somewhere that since she's starring in The Green Lantern which is backed by some studio that isn't associated with HW, she's not one of HW's girls but I'm not sure who the studio for The Town is.

Even Penn must have heard the rumours about HW's girls so he must have known on some level considering he was dining with both Blake and HW at one point.
actually, The Green Lantern is produced an distributed by Warner Brothers (+ DC Entertainment since it's a graphic novel adaptation and they're not tiny studio either, quite opposite in the last couple of years actually, Town was also done by W:cool:. WB and the Weinstein brothers have a business history. :flower:

one more thing, Lainey, after she posted that Casting Couch BI, got legal threats (suing), so she's not allowed to even talk about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow i didn't know that they were together :lol: i'm watching Gossip Girl, but i'm not really interested in the actors' and actresses' private life.

Countdown for a Ryan Reynolds-Scarlett Johansson divorce starting in 5, 4, 3...

:innocent:

NAH. Ryan's still to small for her even to consider him as an option, plus a "marriagewrecker" title does no good at this point for her image building.

wow i wasn't awere about hate that fly around blake on a net. I like her - of course her fashion choices were many times off - showing much to much skin - but she seems like a nice and funny girl. Not crazy, party goer

^^While I can see why Lively may not be everyone's cup of tea, this sort of talk always surrounds actresses who burst on the scene from (seemingly) nowhere & get a lot of media attention. They either must be screwing someone or have strategic industry family links (or both). There was similar angst about Keira Knightley (which dissipated as she bulked up her resume); she wasn't bodacious so folks went with family links.

Yea, I'm not understanding the level of hate here. Blake seems genuine and uncontroversial... so I can't wrap my head around (nor co-sign on) the negative comments in this thread.

Not a surprise that she is done with Penn at the exact moment her career is in hyper-drive. As Lainey says, Blake is ambitious...she knows how to work it.

Yea, I'm not understanding the level of hate here. Blake seems genuine and uncontroversial... so I can't wrap my head around (nor co-sign on) the negative comments in this thread

Lots of people think she's a sh*tty actress (evidence: Serena van der Woodsen) who owes much of her success due to her luxurious blonde hair and her fantastic body.

well i don't think she is THAT bad - i like the way she talk, there is something very intresting here but for acting skills - i must see few movies with her, can't judge after seeing her just in GG. ( the town is not here yet ).
And when women say that she is who she is just coz she slept with important ppl or have important family? bravo - and later you're mad that men talk to us like to stupid-barbie girl...

anyway - back to topic. Did you see pictures form filming GG 1 november? they're where together and have fun. So either it is not true or they ended it nice and in friends air

Well I'm sure its true. Her reps confirmed with the likes of People and Gossip Cop so its true. They ended on good terms and I'm sure that was very important to them considering they do have to see each other every damn day, haha

well i don't think she is THAT bad - i like the way she talk, there is something very intresting here but for acting skills - i must see few movies with her, can't judge after seeing her just in GG. ( the town is not here yet ).
And when women say that she is who she is just coz she slept with important ppl or have important family? bravo - and later you're mad that men talk to us like to stupid-barbie girl...

anyway - back to topic. Did you see pictures form filming GG 1 november? they're where together and have fun. So either it is not true or they ended it nice and in friends air
who says it doesn't piss me off that she has to do this to achieve what she has achieved at the moment? the fact that it's been talked about (like Gwyneth started talking about Casting couch) more recently is a good thing, just like the fact that Weinstein pulled a red flag the moment Lainey posted that BI....

it's a common debate that's been more and more talked about, the exercise of power men in HW (and all around the world in general) tend to practice for ages in silence of all of the others is sickenly. sensing that and putting to shame that kind of behavior (realizing that there should and, rarely, are other ways) is a step forward, not back to "talking to you like a barbie" era.

on the other hand that doesn't mean that nobody here can't have an opinion on her acting and based on that express their doubt when it comes to it "beating" down much more experienced, talented actresses for the roles, or on the other hand start noticing PR stuff revolving around her (all the hype) and the obvious backing up of some kind which is a regular thing in HW (which in her case might be, sorry to say, a result of the classic casting couch manouver :sick:, or in some other, more lucky cases, just a good old pushing from a powerful ppl in the biz just for the sake of her being a success - in all fields - image wise, boxoffice wise, criticwise and so on).

what i want to say, talking about her building an image can be and, IMO, IS a separate topic from her getting in that position in the first place and i think that the boyfriend talk (getting someone more hyped and all the stuff said in this thread) goes into that first topic - pure marketing and image building and it isn't, in any way, demeaning but only noticing worthy (in the whole HW perspective for those who are interested to watch how these things - PR wise - go, like i am). :flower:

sorry for the long post.

who says it doesn't piss me off that she has to do this to achieve what she has achieved at the moment?

This is what I find rather presumptuous (unless you're just playing devil's advocate:( this assumption that Blake *had* to be diddling someone to get where she is today. That ppl assume this based on...gossip websites + their own opinion of her acting + her body. Hell, Anna Wintour obviously likes her & obviously plays a significant role in the attention she gets; so does Ben Affleck who believe she's got huge potential...but no she must be screwing Harvey Weinstein. Or maybe she's Wintour's secret lesbo lover & Affleck's secret mistress! & it must be true because she's hot & not great in Gossip Girl.

It could be true, could be not, but let's face it, if she weren't hot we'd be like, "Naaah. Who would bother?" And that's a little sad. If Hollywood is as seedy as we think it is, a good chunk of those A-list, Oscar-nominated, talented actresses we respect so much may have had to give a little extra since the industry isn't known for consistently rewarding talent. But we'd be less likely to believe if they weren't conventionally attractive.

To pretend to be on topic...Lively & Penn I think grew up together or something. That might explain why they're still so friendly even if the relationship is over.

I think there's no hardcore proof that she did this. Her recent success may be a result of her exposure from being on Gossip Girl. Who knows?

It is a bit sexist to assume that just because she's a female that she had to sleep her way to the top...but all signs do point to that. It happens all the time in Hollywood, so it wouldn't be out of ordinary. But who knows....

I totally agree with Bahiyya ^^

I think there's no hardcore proof that she did this. Her recent success may be a result of her exposure from being on Gossip Girl. Who knows?

It is a bit sexist to assume that just because she's a female that she had to sleep her way to the top...but all signs do point to that. It happens all the time in Hollywood, so it wouldn't be out of ordinary. But who knows....

what are the signs? being seen at the same party as Harvey Weinstein? Come on, that's like saying everyone who was at a press conference with Bill Clinton was a potential Monika Lewinsky :innocent:

I do believe that there might be something like a couch-casting-thing but we don't know who had to do it and who didn't - unsless there is real proof I do not think it is that 'cool' to just assume it because of somebody's looks and growing popularity - what about Penelope Cruz, Scarlett Johansson etc. ? They all did movies for Weinstein...:ninja:

___I'm sure if Kristen Stewart's twilight would have been produced by Weinstein everyone would assume the same in her case so I find that assumption rather a case of jumping too soon to a conclusion ...

___I think it's great Blake and Penn can stay friends - it shows that she can't be that terrible unmoral 'blonde monster' some people try to make her out - I don't think he would treat her the way he obviously does in the pics from the set of Gossip Girl if she started sleeping around with every important person in HW while still being with him before they broke up

I thought this relationship was a bit of a publicity stunt.

Regarding the HW blind item - I thought it said that he was trying to reel a certain young starlet in, and she was steadfastly refusing his advances, so he in turn was trying to block her from getting other big movie roles? Sure Blake Lively got Green Lantern, but I remember reading an interview where she said she lost out on a huge role and put it down to fate.

I do believe that there might be something like a couch-casting-thing but we don't know who had to do it and who didn't - unsless there is real proof I do not think it is that 'cool' to just assume it because of somebody's looks and growing popularity - what about Penelope Cruz, Scarlett Johansson etc. ? They all did movies for Weinstein...:ninja:

I've actually seen people accuse both Penelope Cruz and Marion Cotillard of taking the Weinstein path to success. :sick:

I don't really believe the stories about them or Lively. But, I have to agree with the people who say Lively isn't all that talented (certainly not talented enough to justify her constant presence in the media). Like Cicciolina, I also thought her relationship was a bit of a publicity stunt. It didn't seem completely fake, but it seemed a bit too camera-ready (or whatever the correct phrase may be).

This is what I find rather presumptuous (unless you're just playing devil's advocate:( this assumption that Blake *had* to be diddling someone to get where she is today. That ppl assume this based on...gossip websites + their own opinion of her acting + her body. Hell, Anna Wintour obviously likes her & obviously plays a significant role in the attention she gets; so does Ben Affleck who believe she's got huge potential...but no she must be screwing Harvey Weinstein. Or maybe she's Wintour's secret lesbo lover & Affleck's secret mistress! & it must be true because she's hot & not great in Gossip Girl.

It could be true, could be not, but let's face it, if she weren't hot we'd be like, "Naaah. Who would bother?" And that's a little sad. If Hollywood is as seedy as we think it is, a good chunk of those A-list, Oscar-nominated, talented actresses we respect so much may have had to give a little extra since the industry isn't known for consistently rewarding talent. But we'd be less likely to believe if they weren't conventionally attractive.

To pretend to be on topic...Lively & Penn I think grew up together or something. That might explain why they're still so friendly even if the relationship is over.

of course i'm playing devil's advocate. :wink:

i never said it's 100% true, just that it's a repeating rumor which with some event might have it's base/inch of truth (big movie, Wintour having her back etc) and that some tend to believe and some not (considering repeating rumors about Weinstein). i never, not once in my posts, said it's due to her body or beauty and i specifically separated two topics regarding her - her acting (which i don't find great and on which i strongly disagree with Ben Affleck :lol:) and the rumor part about her. i really didn't want to start debating the truth of the rumors, tho since we're in the subforum that we are it was likely that this "story" will come along.

extorsion of the power in HW is obvious, the fact that it's being talked about is a good thing, but also just a start and just scratch on the surface of the business that only a good chunk of ppl manage to go through without scratches, who knows what kind of stories all these ppl have (again, i'm repeating myself, but you just now have Gwyneth talking about it openly), the talented and less talented ones (and i don't mean just the casting couch thing). i think that the fact that there's only a chunk of talented ones being rewarded and bunch of nontalented ones steadily getting jobs is what makes ppl go thinking in "pretty, sexy" categories - sad, but true.

what i find mindboggling in this thread is how the same ones dimissing possibility of her Weinstein story being true are the same ones strongly questioning possibility of her breakup with Penn being one of the strategic moves in her image building (aka not thinking it might be specifically timed up with GG's ratings going down again and The Town hitting european cinemas for example). her constant being in the media eye (biz related, cus she really, up till now, is/was silent when it comes to her private side) while being on a show that's now pretty much lost its momentum isn't considered smartly done? i mean, to stay in the eye of the storm in this day where "manufacturing" of the "stars" is working overtime requires some smart image building, no? IMO, Blake's (and/or her team) doing good work, but will only continue to do so if she backs it up with good roles in the future. :flower:

on a side note:
__I'm sure if Kristen Stewart's twilight would have been produced by Weinstein everyone would assume the same in her case so I find that assumption rather a case of jumping too soon to a conclusion ...

actually, comparison of an actress who started working since she was 9 years old on movies and working steadily for now 12 years in indie sphere of it (Twilight being an exception of course :doh:) with Blake who did one movie before she hit GG and who's had one hyped movie after it (and now big studio one coming out) isn't really the best one to find. just my two cents.:flower:

i forgot to add that i do not find connection between her "image building" and Weinstein story (that "mindboggling" part of my post), just that the ppl accuse others of "putting down" Blake (when it comes to Weinstein talk) and then don't think of her being smart in general when it comes to her career moves which she obv is (thinking breaking up with Penn isn't possibly also another possibly smart move towards it). i'm just an observer not a (women) hater.

just to make clear. :wink:

^^Ah, well, I don't want to get into whether the rumour's true or not either. To be fair my posts were more a general response to some posts in the thread rather than yours specifically :smile:. I can't really get my head around what's real or not in Hollywood. It's all so engineered lol. I do think whoever is helping Lively strategize her career is better than Leighton Meester's. (That music thing was a bad bad bad idea.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->