Christian Dior HC F/W 12.13 Paris

I'm not very convinced about this collection because i don't have the impression to see a HC collection. The shape, volume, material don't be different than rtw collection especially his last collection at Jil Sander. Then, i really think that Raf Simons can widely do better than that. It's ,for me, a perfect collection designed by Bill Gaytten. And please people, we are not more stupid than you, we know haute couture means :rolleyes:

Some pieces are really beautiful, some are just too minimalistic. But people in the audience is what is really disturbing... look at their faces... everybody looks Snow queen... common, this haute couture was not so bad...

Dior Says It With Flowers
By SUZY MENKES

PARIS — Before a single sculpted skirt swayed down the runway, or a blue shoe stepped daintily forward, or a model pursed her scarlet lips under a light veil and shook her long, flat hair, the debut Christian Dior couture collection from Raf Simons said it with flowers.

Five grand rooms of a classic Parisian mansion were filled Monday with one million blooms: walls thick with white orchids, yellow mimosa and blue delphiniums — just the colors that would appear on the runway as mid-calf dresses curving at the hips, reinterpretations of the famous shapely “Bar” jacket or rounded, short-and-sweet dresses, cut like a chopped-off ballgown and worn over skinny pants.

“I wanted it to be linked to the codes of Christian Dior — but to make it dynamic, modern, energetic,” Mr. Simons, 44, said after the winter 2012 couture show to explain his own historic/modern approach. The blooms were a homage to Mr. Dior’s “Flower Woman” and passion for gardens.

Roses of every hue lined the central room, where Harvey Weinstein sat flanked by the movie stars Jennifer Lawrence from “The Hunger Games” and Mélanie Laurent from “Inglourious Basterds.” Full front and center, Bernard Arnault, chairman of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, sat with Princess Charlene of Monaco. Marion Cotillard, Dior’s ambassador, was already wearing a dress smothered in flowers.

A lot was riding on the show, even the future of Dior’s haute couture, which had sagged since the abrupt departure of John Galliano in spring 2011. The result of Monday’s presentation was not a triumph, but it was a selection of ideas by a designer who has a rare aptitude: to meld modernity with romance.

Mr. Simons made that statement at the start, sending out two black pantsuits — more of an Yves Saint Laurent symbol — and rounding out the tailoring to make it applicable to Dior.

If his point of reference was the architectural 1950s coat, that was updated as a swishing scarlet overcoat cinched by a taut belt. Ball gowns that came out in their mini-versions or ballet length were traced with floral embroideries, all the colors faint or shaded. There might be a surface of soft feathers. Or a vivid pink dress that turned to show an open back, revealing stride-out cigarette pants.

The designer’s skill was, therefore, in deconstruction. But not that take-it-apart idea from the 1990s, but rather the concept of abstracting just one Dior code at a time. With this show done in just three months, Mr. Simons achieved the barely possible: a respectful bow to the heritage of the house, but making the collection seem appropriate for now.
nytimes

this is not Dior,i want my MONEY BACK :lol:

it is soo similar to his last Collection. i hope he gets more Dior DNA for the next RTW collection.

Seeing the HQs.. woah, there is a mind-blowing amount of work gone into some of these pieces, and you can really appreciate them in these pictures.. such absolutely undistated beauty.
These silk velvet circles that split into halves either side of a box pleat in chiffon..
This incredible interally-structured dress in mink and Persian lamb..
What looks like layers of fabric laser-cut into grids and layered upon each other to create another fabric, in several of the pieces like this.
And god only knows how this is embellished, but to me it looks as if chiffon petals engulf the dress.
To those who say this isn't couture, and without even referencing the amazingly formed tailoring and strutures, this is the subtlest and most modern couture.

I'm so divided on this, although I think Raf's minimalistic vision can totally work for Dior IMO he should have gone a little bit more over the top with shapes and some volume, this is Haute Couture after all...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not very convinced about this collection because i don't have the impression to see a HC collection. The shape, volume, material don't be different than rtw collection especially his last collection at Jil Sander. Then, i really think that Raf Simons can widely do better than that. It's ,for me, a perfect collection designed by Bill Gaytten. And please people, we are not more stupid than you, we know haute couture means :rolleyes:

Which aspect of the construction or fabric is RTW and not Haute Couture?:innocent:

What's irritating is that people saw a double-breasted red coat-dress once at Ann Taylor once and think they're seeing the same here and declare that this isn't "haute couture". They probably look at a bespoke suit and declare it's nothing special because they have seen the exact same style at Brooke's Brothers.

Without extravagant flourishes that look mystifying, it is assumed it isn't haute couture. This is completely insulting to the designers and staff who labor for hours to construct toiles, mold seams, hand-cut every piece, hand-stitch every last detail to perfection.

It's sculpted and beautiful for the most part, but a few looks are somewhat clumsy. Also, for the 50s looks, those dresses will look quite nice on women with larger busts.

omg if i could have these negative comments put on paper i would rip them to shreds. Couture is about exvlusitivity, extremely custom fit design, handmade details with luxury garments. you all think that its all about extreme volume and hooker high heels like versace...go look at a couture archivr once in awhile.

Oh my, I'm speechless! This is so beautiful, just my kind of classy minimalism. I'd wear every single piece from this collection(excpet the prints..)! It's true that it's not the Dior I was used to, all that circus with Galliano etc., but come on guys, somebody find me a rich husband so I get to wear these :lol:

Moderators Note:

Please respect other members and their opinions. From our Community Rules

Be respectful. It’s perfectly fine to disagree with others as long as it is done respectfully and maturely, but do not attack other members in your posts or comments. Name-calling or harassment of other members is absolutely not tolerated here and may result in suspension.

Which aspect of the construction or fabric is RTW and not Haute Couture?:innocent:

What's irritating is that people saw a double-breasted red coat-dress once at Ann Taylor once and think they're seeing the same here and declare that this isn't "haute couture". They probably look at a bespoke suit and declare it's nothing special because they have seen the exact same style at Brooke's Brothers.

Without extravagant flourishes that look mystifying, it is assumed it isn't haute couture. This is completely insulting to the designers and staff who labor for hours to construct toiles, mold seams, hand-cut every piece, hand-stitch every last detail to perfection.

" i don't have the impression [...] haute couture " that's all and ** and you may see that many looks are in his last collection at Jil Sander. ***

Please see post above you. Thank you.

Wish I'd have the time to read the whole thread and read more criticism because I jumped straight to the HQs + details of the collection and anything that's in my head right now is adulation. I feel like someone has finally packed up all the notions of haute couture and brought them to present time, the tailored suits combined with all saccharine elements has not been paired with such precision and.. beauty since.. ever. I cannot remember a single designer that ventured into this 'princess gown' territory and didn't overdo it or reduced a woman to a window display on legs, or a designer that did fantastic suits from beginning to end (Yohji Yamamoto 2003) leaving little room for elements that are almost scary for all the clichés that surrounds them. Even the furry dresses here are so perfectly made that it's hard to think of a woman wearing them and getting overpowered by them and/or not looking incredible.

This seems like a follow-up to what Christian Dior was doing back in the day.. I think he'd be pleased, cause all the experiments are still happening in details, discreetly just like his work, and they're very likely evolve in the coming seasons.

This collection is respectful to Monsieur Dior and Simons definitely understands the house. This is his first collection here and it's Couture. Putting such incredible collection as this gives a promising future for further collections. So subtle yet detailed and perfectly classy.

Wish I'd have the time to read the whole thread and read more criticism because I jumped straight to the HQs + details of the collection and anything that's in my head right now is adulation. I feel like someone has finally packed up all the notions of haute couture and brought them to present time, the tailored suits combined with all saccharine elements has not been paired with such precision and.. beauty since.. ever. I cannot remember a single designer that ventured into this 'princess gown' territory and didn't overdo it or reduced a woman to a window display on legs, or a designer that did fantastic suits from beginning to end (Yohji Yamamoto 2003) leaving little room for elements that are almost scary for all the clichés that surrounds them. Even the furry dresses here are so perfectly made that it's hard to think of a woman wearing them and getting overpowered by them and/or not looking incredible.

This seems like a follow-up to what Christian Dior was doing back in the day.. I think he'd be pleased, cause all the experiments are still happening in details, discreetly just like his work, and they're very likely evolve in the coming seasons.

Finally a reasonable comment.
:D:heart:

I always thought people was really bad with Bill Gaytten, even though he wasn't bad at all imo, and now i think it's gonna start with Raf Simons, most of those people look like Galliano's widows after he left Dior.

To be honest i think the question is, What was Dior before Galliano ? Because he seriously left a pattern in the brand, and for those who were expecting Raf to follow that path, that was from one beginning not gonna happen. I'm not defending the collection, because in this moment idk if i like it or not, but i do find it a little boring, and i mean the whole show not only the clothes, also the music, the cast of models, the runway venue... The details of the clothes and some gowns are amazing though.

I don't know if i see much of a future for Raf at Dior.

" i don't have the impression [...] haute couture " that's all and ** and you may see that many looks are in his last collection at Jil Sander. ***

Please see post above you. Thank you.

If it's the colors or the "styles", eg. voluminous skirts, they might resemble each other at a superficial level, but in terms of their shaping, detailing, making, etc., they're worlds apart. I have a waisted designer jacket and a vintage Bar jacket - they are completely different in the way they are constructed and sewn, even though both are similar at first glance. From afar, the effort put into the construction of the haute couture is visible, whereas the Jil Sander clothes were obviously cut from patterns and sewn on machines. The closeups reveal even more astonishing details of the making of the pieces - a combination of the designer's architectural achievements, the impeccable sewing or "couture" as well as the jaw-dropping intricacy of the details by the "petits mains". There're little black silk dresses by Zara, by Designers and there's haute couture. It could be a plain little black dress of a similar design, but the differences are there, and they're huge among the three.

This collection is not for me, but I can appreciate the couture genius, and Raf Simons is no slouch. The designs here leave no room for error. More frequently, I'd see an "haute couturier" send out a big silk satin gown with lots of flounces, glittering beads, long satin gloves with a large bow at the back that is crooked.....but because it looks and walks like a ball gown fit for a princess or a wedding, so it looks "haute couture". However, it is very crude work to me, and doesn't meet the expectations of the highest quality, or evoke the dream of the perfection that is "haute couture".

Everyone will like or dislike this collection, and that's fine. However, to be fair to Raf Simons and the hardworking and very accomplished staff at the Dior atelier, it is better to be clear about exactly what they do, and how it makes it "haute couture" or not "haute couture".

I wasn't expecting Galliano, nothing like his Dior efforts in fact. But I wasn't prepared for this. This is about as bad as it can get if you ask me. It's absolute simplicity and no creativity. I guess this indicates the kind of direction Raf is taking and unfortunately, it isn't one I'm even mildly excited about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->