Christian Dior HC S/S 2012 Paris

Are we forgetting Cruise and Pre-Fall?? or just RTW next 5 collections??

^ My first thought exactly :lol: :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well everything doesn't look like couture, but in general it's really typical Dior !!

The thing with the collection is that the clothes are beautiful, yes, but they're also exactly like previous Galliano collections. It looks like he took everything from Dior's new look and completely made it boring and demure, the two things couture is never about. When it says that it was a show for clients, not the public, they were wrong. Clients want to see the outlandish, they want to see them in wacky volumes and see traditional couture so they can go through the exciting process of making it truly one of a kind for their bodies, but this isn't providing any excitement that should come along in the process of buying a one of a kind piece. Every woman has different wants and if more than one woman buys the garment as is, then they're not going to get that excitement of knowing they own a one of a kind piece.
Here's the post I did on my blog:

lagrandcouturiere.tumblr.com/post/16355624446/hey-guess-what-dior-bored-me-to-tears-as-last

So safe & boring :(

If this was the graduating collection of a design student, he had failed because there are NO OWN IDEAS in this collection! A obviously copies Christian Dior, Giambattista Valli and Prabal Gurung (-> the purple dresses) but SADLY doesn`t imitate the one who got him his job: John Galliano!

Gosh, has he learned nothing from Galliano in all the years!?!

gotta hand it to the current team at Dior. when you think they've hit rock bottom, they find a soft spot to dig even deeper.

and while the reviews might say that yes, this show is more for the clients who actually buy those clothes instead of spectacular pieces which will generate press and will be worn by celebrities on red carpets, this is not really what a fashion show should be about.

a design house of the caliber of Dior SHOULD present more of a spectacle, something that makes waves, something that shows the rest of the fashion world 'this is us, this is our new view of trends, this is the direction we're going'.

meanwhile, Dior has been treading on the same spot for years now.

why not make a small atelier show, solely for the clients?

When Galliano was at Dior there would be already 20 or more pages of debate in this thread :smile:, some of the dresses are really nice, elegant and look like a watered down version of some of John´s more practical designs for the house, it made me miss him very much.

It's a really pretty collection, safe but pretty. My only problem is that this ain't couture, AT ALL. Sarah's dresses for McQueen are 3x more couture than this.

The problem is, Galliano used to take the Dior Woman all over the world, to different eras and to different environments. The sea-side, India, The Garden, The bedroom, the attic, the the 18th century, the 15th Century. He referenced painters and sculptors and Icons and musicians. He took the Dior woman on a journey.

Gaytten's woman seems to have locked herself in her wardrobe and trying on the same thing over and over again.

He even uses Last seasons Lana Del Rey obsession. Just appalling. I just want to kick him and say 'Man up or Leave'.

Yes this is similar to previous collections, but compared to the mess he made for HC FW 2011/12, this is twenty times better.
Standing ovation? No, but certainly and improvement.

I quite like almost all of it, the word ladylike keeps coming to mind... ^_^

Me too. It an improvement from the last collection. I agree with this quote -

''It was a nice show. It will sell. But it was safe, and lacking in newness.''

chic , classy , classic , ladylike , omg i'm in love , i can see many celebs wearing dresses from this collection !
all the royals , and many many actors would look their best in this collection , it doesnt scream Haute Couture though !

It's an improvement, that's all we can really ask for Bill at the moment. As much as I dread his first couture collection and wish Galliano was back- there's no denying that were at least one or two looks that were pretty breathless and you can see these looks translate to real women so seamlessly (which is NEW...for Dior's couture identity at least). Granted, there's not a lot of magic, some looks literally look like extension off their ready-to-wear collection and it's a bit safe but I prefer a "safer" Bill for Dior than a "crazy Galliano mockery" Billy for Dior.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->