Christian Dior S/S 2013 Paris

I like most of this. Especially the final dresses.

And those dresses that FashionPower posted of Gaytten's Dior. I think those were the only looks that I liked from his any of his collections and the only time I saw Dior in his clothes.

Last edited by a moderator:
@FashionPower Even if those outfits were similar, which honestly are not, Raf made it in a MUCH refined, intelligent and sophisticated way.

^^ For tastes...Colors!

I'm no going to say it's disappointing cause, I did no hope too much but it seems like the only improvements were those stripes dresses and make-up.

2012_09_28_14_09_14_christian_dior_0221.jpg

nowfashion

The end of the collection is better than the start ... I think the only piece I appreciate with this collection is that dress. It has a beautiful shape, it's feminine but makes you look confident and those pleats stuck in that seam are a good idea.

I also feel this collection is not coherent, I mean it goes in 30 different directions and I miss some harmony in the end.

i absolutely loathe this dress. It looks like a virgina

vogue.co.uk

@fashionpower. I agree that the silhouettes are very similar. But Raf managed to make the tailoring way better, and the colors he did really are gorgeous. Im not gonna say that what he did is original though, cause i see what you mean.

Why are people so deeply offended about this collection? There's barely anything to get excited at, in both senses of the word. A bit stale? Yes. That middle section with the striped trapeze dresses was horrid? Yes. But is it still a beautiful, modern collection that embodies the DNA of Dior? Hell yes. Dior isn't Galliano anymore, nor will return to be. It is not Galliano's brand, and as such, should not be contemplated by Galliano's outings and them only.

I dont like i miss more Galliano

nowfashion

The end of the collection is better than the start ... I think the only piece I appreciate with this collection is that dress. It has a beautiful shape, it's feminine but makes you look confident and those pleats stuck in that seam are a good idea.

I also feel this collection is not coherent, I mean it goes in 30 different directions and I miss some harmony in the end.

Yes, that was the only piece that stood out for me as well. The dress is imacculate and were the rest of the collection at that caliber I would be announcing Raf as the new king of fashion...

This is quite a letdown, honestly. It's an amazingly disjointed and at times quite amateurish looking collection that, really, makes no sense. There's no message here, no correlation between all of the different ideas except for the fact that thematically they related to signature Dior looks -- the bar jacket, the full skirt, the florals, the gowns. I'm really quite shocked by this considering how sharp and tightly edited his collections, particularly his most recent ones, were when he was at Jil Sander.

The shoes and the makeup are my favorite things going on here.

Well i´m getting more excited about this new Dior, for me, everything was great, great colors, great shapes, great details, it´s real Dior in a new and more refined way, minimalist, and maybe we miss Galliano´s work, I´m a big fan of his work, he created the most amazing collections, and all that drama and those complicate stories about knights and Joan of Arc, geishas, Marie Antoinette during the French Revolution, Maasai people, were amazing, a dream come true for many of us, but this is new, different, much more interesting than Gaytten´s stuff, this guy have something in mind and I´m not disappointed with his recent creations.

Reviews:

Raf Simons and the Remapping of Dior
BY CATHY HORYN

In just six months at Dior, Raf Simons has shown that he’s more than a creative director. He’s a decorator, an architect and a definitive tastemaker. His July couture collection put Dior again in the spotlight. Today, he gave Dior a modern blueprint for its ready-to-wear and accessories.

Mr. Simons’s direction could be felt in every detail, beginning with the setting: a tent transformed into four gallery-like rooms with windows that allowed guests to see into the next space. The setting was intimate, yet open, and the windows were curtained with panels of different colored chiffon that rippled with blown air. Movement, openness: those were two of his messages today. In the past, the atmosphere for Dior’s tented shows have looked slick, and not exactly in keeping with the brand’s luxury image. There was a showy backdrop, or a big illuminated logo, and then a tacky, noisy tent. Mr. Simons eliminated that. Even the paper used for the program notes was nicer: black type on matte white paper.

For the clothes, he continued the themes of the haute couture show: sharply tailored pantsuits, bustiers in a swirl of mint green or pale pink silk (or iridescent polyester) with black shorts, chic strapless cocktail dresses with a sheer, embroidered top layer. His biggest statement, perhaps, was about Dior’s tailoring (using the classic Bar jacket) and how to interpret that in a modern, free way. You were never sure if a jacket was just a jacket, or a mini coatdress — the choice was up to the wearer. It was exciting to see how much he got out of a classic shape without overloading it. There was a single-breasted style in white with a gently flaring hem; another, in black, had more of a bell shape over the hips. Still another had tiny pleats worked into the hem. I lost count of the jacket/coat dresses. One in gray lightweight wool had a wide hem of pale striped-blue organza, with a darker layer in metallic blue organza.

The shimmery light effects were beautiful — and a way of expanding the notion of minimalism. Among the stellar evening looks were simple silk tunics with a swag in a contrasting color, and a black strapless cocktail dress with the shadow of the dress duplicated in yellow beadwork on a shell of black tulle.

Mr. Simons played with some of Christian Dior’s famous silhouettes: the A line and the H line, and of course the Bar jacket. But the impression throughout the show was of something sharply new. You could also see that, as a minimalist who has influenced many non-minimalist designers, he was thinking about that form.

To him, the perception of minimalism hasn’t changed much since the 1990s. “For instance, I find it super challenging to make it sexual, more fun, more graphic and playful,” he said. “To me, the word is freedom. That is the word.”
nytimes

IF Jil Sander was the big story in Milan, then Raf Simons at Dior - and his first ready-to-wear collection for the house since his appointment back in April - was the big, and we mean big, story in Paris - or more likely Fashion Month. But what makes these two tales even more fascinating is that Raf was previously at the helm of Sander but in a wicked game of fashion fate, he left, she came back and he moved to the house of Dior - big shoes to fill, but which he successfully managed to do so for the couture offering back in July. And so far, so good for Sander, whose return - for the third time - collection hit all the right notes. But what of Simons today? For the fashion pack, it wasn't dissimilar to waking up on Christmas Day, all expectant and excited to see what Simons, one of fashion's most loved and thought-provoking designers, had up his sleeve.

"It was everything you expected but in some ways it was completely unexpected," said Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman of the collection which started with a series of exquisite black jackets, a scarf tied at their neck - one black, one pink, then a red one too. It was almost like a literal clean slate.

It then quickly moved onto what the show notes described as jacket dresses - either lengthening the shape of a jacket to just long enough to pass for a skirt or taking off the sleeves to make it a strapless variation.

These then made way for little mini ballgown styles - puffs of pink and metallic worn over shorts and with huge pockets to lose hands in. It stayed short throughout and the mini was the silhouette and length of choice - something the notes explained was emblematic of freedom and liberation, which was a key theme for Simons in referencing Dior himself. "He embraced the feminine, the complex and the emotional; an idea of freedom and what had gone before," read the notes.

And this neatly summed up what Simons was doing too - taking his aesthetic and more than successfully merging it with the heritage house. "Even making this space into a contemporary couture salon," noted Shulman.

There were black and pink stripe short dresses and those that were pieced together in clean neon layers; those splayed with pleats and those that clung to the body with gorgeous sheer chiffon or tulle overlays wafting around them.

There were hip-accentuated jackets that came smattered in floral motifs and there were multi-coloured shoes with the pointiest of toes and curved pin-thin heels to match.

"It was beautiful, strange and unusual - so precise but so varied. I loved the strong romance - it was so bold with the make-up - and it followed on from the couture collection, you could see how it had evolved," said Vogue fashion director Lucinda Chambers. Just as we had seen those ball skirts in July, we saw them again here, teamed with black svelte tops; and where trousers had featured beneath those mini ballgown shapes before, this time they were shorts.

In his notes, Simons has referenced "anti-sex" and his love for minimalism - but was keen to point out it's not just minimalism he likes - and that he wants to cater to more than just one woman and he did this here. It took those Dior elements, like the tailoring, and combined them with Simons' youthful spirit.

And this collection - a resounding success - was full of what looked like little chapters, but ones with a clear vision at the end of them: namely that Simons was a very good choice for Dior.

BY JESSICA BUMPUS
vogue.uk

Sixty years ago, the "backstage" experience at Christian Dior would have been a high point of decorum, refinement and, possibly, the occasional squeal. For the updated version, imagine Lady Gaga, Brangelina and Jesus converging on the red carpet at the same time. Scrum does not do the melee after the Dior show justice.

At the centre of it was Raf Simons, Dior's new creative director and the man charged with rebuilding what David Cameron would call a "broken" brand. Since Galliano-gate 18 months ago, Dior's image has been subjected to a battering.

Simons, who previously worked at the much smaller Jil Sander label, had an interesting challenge: erase this megalithic brand's annus horribilis, keep the good bits, exhume its peerless archives, modernise them; fuse wearable with traffic-stopping; sexy with classy and try and keep the show under 15 minutes long.

He seems to relish challenges. Back in July he produced a couture collection just six weeks after he arrived at the house. Some of the ideas - including strapless sheaths worn over slim trousers - reappeared today, honed and polished. But there was much more: the famous peplumed Bar jacket worn as a dress; New Look skirts slimmed down, lengthend to the ankle and doused with metallic roses, inspired by Christian Dior's flower gardens and worn with stretch tops taken from swimwear; short-sleeved silk T-shirt dresses with asymmetric trains, some veiled with tulle tunics and a line satin dresses, again a nod to 60s Dior. There was plenty of lightness and movement, courtesy of the organza layers, sometimes as many as six in a single dress, and the bias cut pleats which featured on peplumed jackets and mini skirts were inspired by Christian DIor's archictural pleating from the 1950s.

Simons had clearly dug deep not just into Christian Dior's psyche but Galliano's. The golden goose Lady Dior bag from Galliano's reign was there, the flashy metal hardware reworked in same-colour plastic. The crystal-studded eye make-up was also present, no longer clown-like but, implausible as it sounds, futuristically chic. The number of techno fabrics also helped this collection feel wholly contemporary. The fit of the clothes, a minor issue in his first couture collection, was perfect - and that goes for all 53 looks. Safe to say he and Dior's atelier of 120 plus seamstresses have learned to speak each other's technical language.

Yet Simons is not just an accomplished technician who can explain his thought processes in methodically lucid terms, but a romantic and a modernist. "I wanted this collection to be about sex, freedom, movement, sensuality, minimalism, " he said after the show and the scrum.

"People think Christian Dior was about constriction and technically, with the New Look's corseting, it was. But in a psychological sense it was about liberating women, allowing them to be romantic again and to fantasise about their image. The New Look was nostalgic but it was also absolutely contemporary in relating to how women wanted to feel after the war".

As for importing minimalism to Dior, a brand recently known for maximum excess, he said "I love it, of course I do. I remember it from 1996, with Jil Sander and Helmut Lang. That's when I set up my own business. But if you do minimalism now - and it seems to be having a big moment - it has to be fun and sensuous, not just about a white shirt".

It was fun and sensuous and also elegant and extremely desirable. A year ago everyone said that resurrecting Dior was an impossible task. Now it looks immenently feasible. That was Simons' biggest achievement today. His next was to try and find his parents who were over from Antwerp to see their son take Paris by storm.

BY LISA ARMSTRONG
telegraph.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->